Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
Fiskadoro

Non Kayak Motorcycle Digression

I know a bunch of you guys ride so I thought I'd share my new to me baby I just set up. 93 R100R. I hitched a ride up to San Francisco bought it on the spot and road it back. There were a few unforeseen issues (a real birds nest under the tank) but nothing I couldn't handle.

I can deal with electrical but organic?!?!

Cleaned up nice and rides fantastic.

Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
TJones

Papa of the new 1000RR

I hope nobody got hurt in the making of this video.

Last edited by TJones; 01-10-2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Be safe
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Cafe it !

hell bent on getting a Thruxton very soon, my son's Bonneville is driving me crazy.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Cafe it ! hell bent on getting a Thruxton very soon, my son's Bonneville is driving me crazy.
You know me Andy I love to build new things. With this one I'm going the other way, but I did buy it to build something out of it.

The R100R is the road version of the R100GS.

The only difference is the shock, fork, front wheel size and exhaust. It's a easy conversion. The GS does well off-road but is sluggish on the road. The R100R on the road is a great handling bike, much better then the GS.

A common upgrade for the R100GS is a DRZ400E or DRZ400S Suzuki fork.

That turns them into a much stronger Offroad bike, but degrades their road ability.

What I'm thinking is I'll replace the fork with a DRZ400SM fork the fork they use for Supermotto.

I'll then run dual 17 inch Shinko 705s on it like with this DRZ400SM.

In other words I'm going to make a Supermoto out of it.

It'll look bad ass, have higher ground clearance and offroad ability but it should also retain some if it's superior road handling ability compared to the normal GS or the GS-DRZ conversions.

I should end up with a bike that can do everything a R100GS can do but at the same time run circles around one on pavement.

No-ones done it as far as I know but that's half the fun and I know it will work.

The fork from this R100R is an excellent road fork. I'm moving it to a R75 Cafe project I'm also working on. So I should get a Great Cafe out of as well, but first I have to find the right DRZ400SM fork

In the meantime she's a great bike, and I'll be riding it, but your right change is coming down the road.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 01-10-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Where does the thru hull transducer go?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
kaya_one

Nice

Looks great. Looking forward for the follow-up when it is super-moto'd as I've never seen a beemer like that. I was also thinking of the cafe look, but hey sounds like you've gone down that road.
Thanks for sharing.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
bubblehide

Rumors

So all the rumors I've been hearing are true! Now that sounds and looks like a sweet project, Damn you Jim, now I want one.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Where are the rod holders or the hitch to tow the yak?!
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
Where are the rod holders or the hitch to tow the yak?!

Now those are good questions. I've considered building a motorcycle hitch and trailer for my yak for years now. The only issue I'd have is that both Yakking and motorcycling are physically demanding. After a full day kayaking at say La Jolla a ride home towing the yak wouldn't be fun, and might be potentially dangerous. Splitting lanes in city traffic is hard enough after a long ride in the mountains, but doing it pulling a trailer after being on the water all day might be too much to handle.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Yeah, I've considered towing the yak with my bike but I always thought that it'd be a hassle with all the extra gear. You'd have to load the yak up with just what you need out on the water, including any clothing and such. For me that'd be tricky since I always haul extra clothes and extra tackle just in case, not to mention a good-sized cooler to bring home any catch. I would be worried about losing anything on the way down, and also coming back in after a day out only to find someone took off with the trailer. I do agree though that a long day on the water would be met with reluctance to hop on a bike and put forth the effort to get back home. Maybe someday....
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #11
Fiskadoro

Update

Finally got the fork I was looking for yesterday and put it on the bike in the evening. Here's few build pics of it assembled.

Edit:

Motorcycles and fishing are about then only two things other then women that can make me so excited I can't sleep. The bike is 90% done all I need is a new front brake line (longer) and also need to make a front fender. So Rather then sit around I took it around the block a few times with no front brake. Road great but without brakes and in the rain I didn't push it all that hard

Here's pic of it I took outside before the sun came up.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-07-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Sweet build. My taste and vision would have taken it in a different direction. That thing would make an awesome bobber

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Sweet build. My taste and vision would have taken it in a different direction. That thing would make an awesome bobber
Thanks.... Yeah I hear you but I already built a bobber.

This new one is a special purpose bike. Built for long distance duel sport touring or really just long trip motorcycle camping.

With racks and bags I've set up it can carry a ton of gear.

This new bike I can go anywhere over dirt gravel, on long rides for days unsupported, I can use it to take girls I know motorcycle camping, go on surf fishing trips to Baja etc..

I love my Bobber but the lack of ability to carny things like even like enough tools and water makes it's use limited, but it is my favorite bike for local rides and events.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
sasha

WOW just WOW love the looks and the build. Man you sure got talent. So what keeps you coming back to airheads??
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #15
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Hell yeah! You know what's up. My brother has a KTM adventure that's an awesome road trip bike

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
bubblehide

F-ing amazing! Wait a minute, it's a Jim Day build, I'd expect nothing less. Jim, It's a sweet machine.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
WOW just WOW love the looks and the build. Man you sure got talent. So what keeps you coming back to airheads??
Thanks !!!

Here's some pics from this evening.

I like airheads because they are designed to be easy to maintain on the road with a few simple tools. They are not high performance sport bikes but for me there's a lot of integrity and thought that went into the design. The bikes are all based the same simple design concepts and never changed much. Since I've been riding them for decades I kind of know them like the back of my hand.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #18
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Not exactly my cup of tea (or cafe), but everyone can appreciate fine craftsmanship, especially if you have the skills to fabricate your own parts.

addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:11 AM   #19
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
Not exactly my cup of tea (or cafe), but everyone can appreciate fine craftsmanship, especially if you have the skills to fabricate your own parts.

Thanks!!!

Been too busy to check in.....Still moving forward on the new bike.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-13-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #20
bubblehide

Rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Thanks!!!

Been too busy to check in.....Still moving forward on the new bike.

Too busy, with what, giving rides . She looks pretty bad ass Jim.