Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2022, 11:45 PM   #1
JohnMckroidJr

Ever have a hitchhiker ?

I think this Anole must have been sleeping in my fish bag. What a surprise it must have been when I threw frozen water bottles, and a lunch in there, and the next thing he knew, the kayak was out on the ocean. I sometimes see Iguanas on the daymarks coming in and out of the harbors, but this Anole was uncomfortable out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KayakAnoleHitchHikerfsm.jpg (59.3 KB, 112 views)
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:44 PM   #2
Salty

Poor guy woke up like "I have made a terrible mistake..."

And funny you should ask, the past 2 times in a row that I've fished around DP Harbor, I had this pelican riding on the back of my kayak. First time he chilled there for about 2 hours. This time it was about an hour since we just fished the harbor at the end of the trip. He got VERY comfortable back there trying to figure out how to get into my livewell... Pretty sure it was not same pelican, but it's fun to think it was. My buddy and I nicknamed him "R2-D2" lol. Of course, it's all fun and games until he takes a fat dump right into the rudder lines(he did).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5340.jpg (67.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6477.jpg (63.4 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by Salty; 04-06-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:39 PM   #3
AlwaysFishing

Got a few Egrets on my yak right after I got bait from the bait barge in Dana Point. They didn't stick around too long though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1419.jpg (60.7 KB, 91 views)
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:53 AM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
This post reminds me.....

Of a black widow spider 🕷 I had on the brim of my hat off la Jolla, it went right across my eye sight on the brim of my hat, startled me.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:43 AM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
And funny you should ask, the past 2 times in a row that I've fished around DP Harbor, I had this pelican riding on the back of my kayak. First time he chilled there for about 2 hours. This time it was about an hour since we just fished the harbor at the end of the trip. He got VERY comfortable back there trying to figure out how to get into my livewell... Pretty sure it was not same pelican, but it's fun to think it was. My buddy and I nicknamed him "R2-D2" lol. Of course, it's all fun and games until he takes a fat dump right into the rudder lines(he did).
LOL - Sounds like R2-D2 has made a new friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
Got a few Egrets on my yak right after I got bait from the bait barge in Dana Point. They didn't stick around too long though.
Looks like the hitchhiking Egrets got a free meal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Of a black widow spider 🕷 I had on the brim of my hat off la Jolla, it went right across my eye sight on the brim of my hat, startled me.
Good thing you did not get bit! Right before boarding a boat in Panama, a 2-inch spider jumped out of a tree and bit me on the neck. Fortunately, it was non-poisonous, but It was still a concern that I could have had an allergic reaction as we were heading out to sea for a week of fishing. Thankfully the welt subsided the next day.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:21 AM   #6
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
This is exactly why I store my wetsuits inside-out in my garage... One time I was about to suit up to surf Salt Creek and as I turned my wetsuit from inside-out to normal, the biggest black widow I've ever seen fell out of the leg opening and crawled off. To this day, I still shake the shit out of my wetsuits before putting them in my truck just in case!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:54 AM   #7
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Quote:
This is exactly why I store my wetsuits inside-out in my garage... One time I was about to suit up to surf Salt Creek and as I turned my wetsuit from inside-out to normal, the biggest black widow I've ever seen fell out of the leg opening and crawled off. To this day, I still shake the shit out of my wetsuits before putting them in my truck just in case!
The eggs 🥚 look like little cotton balls and black widow spider can take over your back yard I find them all the time
Old 04-07-2022, 12:29 PM   #8
PapaDave

Quote:
Poor guy woke up like "I have made a terrible mistake..."

Looks like my buddy, George, rides the back of the kayak, I feed him dead sardines, sticks around as long as he thinks he will get them. Occasionally I'll catch one if there is line or hooks in it and fix him right up. And I also get the Egrets...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0675.jpg (45.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4135.jpg (58.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8091.jpg (69.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Pelican1.jpg (74.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 04-08-2022, 08:28 AM   #9
Mski
Junior

23143182-9A4A-4A1D-8218-559C6CF5010A.jpg
This young pup decided to hitch a ride with me just outside Newport Harbor. He was really interested in the Hookup bait I had dangling on my rod. He had a couple of Sabiki hooks in his front right flipper so I’m sure he had experience robbing people making bait. My best friend who had been a Navy SEAL had passed away just a couple of months prior to this, and my daughters were sure that this was “uncle Mike” paying me a visit.
Mski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:52 AM   #10
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Looks like my buddy, George, rides the back of the kayak, I feed him dead sardines, sticks around as long as he thinks he will get them. Occasionally I'll catch one if there is line or hooks in it and fix him right up. And I also get the Egrets...
Nice looking collection of Birds. PapaDave, I wouldn't be surprised if George and R2D2 are the same Pelican.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mski View Post
Attachment 29171
This young pup decided to hitch a ride with me just outside Newport Harbor. He was really interested in the Hookup bait I had dangling on my rod. He had a couple of Sabiki hooks in his front right flipper so I’m sure he had experience robbing people making bait. My best friend who had been a Navy SEAL had passed away just a couple of months prior to this, and my daughters were sure that this was “uncle Mike” paying me a visit.
Sorry to hear about your best friend passing, your daughters might be onto something? Regardless, that's a badass photo! The seal looks like a figurehead on the bow of your kayak.