Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
jscott

PST Report 2/4-7

Met up with buddy EFISH at 3am and headed down to Puerto Santo Tomas for a 3 night/4 day fishing excursion.
Get there Monday AM about 10am...and wind is howling, surf/swell way up! (Also a bit wet as rains had gone through the night before==> Can you say BAJA PUDDLE DRIVING!!) Take our time, unpack...no fishing today. We tried a little fishing off the rocks for sheephead or other stuff for nothing but frustrated snags in the rocks for me. Tuesday AM...wind up and swell up...so we decide to launch from the other side and fish the bay. We ended up tying off to kelp and getting a steady pic on rockfish. Eric got a HUGE calico-- 6# 4oz!...here's a pic for the non-believers

Not to be outdone-- I get one myself about same size (don't tell Eric==> but I think mine was bigger!).

For both of us-- these are personal best calis! Both breeders released!
I took 7 rockfish with me(released just as many==> really looking forward to tons of LING meat the next day!)...gave away 3 to a local guy who was hungry==> and took back 4 to filet and take home. The rockfish were about 2# size...here is a sample

Next day-- swell is down some and wind is better. We are JONESING to get out==> so we rough it. Get out and we pick up a few lings, cabezons, and more rockfish. Here is a few of the lings...no monsters for us-- biggest ones went just over 6#. (The calis gave us the best fight this trip!)

In down time we did some hiking==> it was actually a nice hike. (And no-- that is not an alcoholic beverage in my hand-- we would NEVER hike under the influence...That's just dangerous!)

: Also tried some more surf and rock fishing from shore...not much luck but I scratched up a big perch-- my biggest one from the surf...

At night-- you can't imagine the number of stars you see in the sky-- nor the number of goosebumps you get for the freezing weather! We didn't quite bring enough firewood-- so we spent time 'gathering' firewood from all around (more like scavenging).
Tried to get some pics of the surf...but they didn't come out too great....this one here-- you will see the whitewater everywhere. The launch-- normally calm was a washermachine at the best of times. This gives you an idea of what it looked like from above.

All in all great trip...Overall-- I have to admit Eric got me this time on quality-- he had more larger lings than I did-- but I did get him on quantity-- (not to mention the surf SHUTOUT that I handed him!) It was a blast-- and here is a last pic of some happy fisherman with full fish sacks on the last day (fished from 7:30am to 10am on Thursday for the best day of fishing before we had to go!)

Thanks Eric for Driving...helping put this together...and being my wingman!
Good luck and tight lines all!
Jason
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
kurt

Thanks for the report. PST has always been a good destination.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
aguachico

Cool report. PST is a fun place and a good start for the Baja enthusiast. If camping is not your thing Casa Rosa was cheap and comfy, expcept it's 10 minutes from the launch.

Congrats.

Also try El Recreo tacos in Maneadero. West side, south of the La Buf turn off. For a sit down breakfast Jalisco just 1k south of El Recreo.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
jscott

Not camping...we stayed at Sam's place...right at the launch. Had a stove, fridge, hot water heater, and a fireplace. Beds were nice and comfy. Just had to remember to shut the windows and doors once the sun went down. Keep fireplace going so that warmth is kept up. Not too expensive and very safe. Had a blast.
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
Dennis

It sounds like a pretty cool trip, Jason. Thanks for sharing. Those are toad calico's.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott View Post
Not camping...we stayed at Sam's place...right at the launch. Had a stove, fridge, hot water heater, and a fireplace. Beds were nice and comfy. Just had to remember to shut the windows and doors once the sun went down. Keep fireplace going so that warmth is kept up. Not too expensive and very safe. Had a blast.

Cool; he must have done some upgrdes, it's been a few years for me.
Last time we met a 25 knot howler coming back to the ramp. It was f'd up. The exotics move pretty fash thru there, don;t know why they don't hang around - maybe it's too chilly.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote