Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
FullFlavorPike

5/4 How to empty the hotel...

May the Fourth be with us all! I was going to keep mum about it for a few days, but it's pretty blown up now.

It was me. I caught the big thresher.

Unreal experience out there yesterday. The didn't show up, but the WFO thresher bite had the entire lineup of kayakers hooting and hollering like six-year-olds catching overgrown goldfish in a city park somewhere. For the guy who made the "Why we do it" page, well, yesterday about summed it up for me.

Up front, I'll say I could not have done this without Lucas, Chad, and Justin pitching in.

I hooked up twice. Got the second one to the boat after a long, hard fight. He never jumped, and mostly stayed down deep. When I first hooked up, he didn't run or anything, and I thought maybe I had a big black on the other end. I wound up hard and got right over him, which is when he decided to take a run 90 degrees to port, which nearly flipped the Malibu II. Managed to stay on top of the boat and rode around while he ripped through a few kelp strands, and made pretty tight circles like a gigantic yellowtail. Half an hour of pulling got him to color, at which point I realized just how big the fish was. He was barely fighting, and even with the drag buttoned down I could barely raise him.

This is my first time fighting anything close to this big. I was going for the release, but by the time I got him to the boat he was non-responsive. I had the three aforementioned guys nearby, and we all agreed that there was a better than even chance that cutting him loose would end up with watching his corpse sink to the bottom and becoming lobster food. I couldn't handle that, so I decided it was my responsibility to see to it that he got eaten. When Chad and Justin agreed to take their share of the meat after I butchered the fish, I knew it wouldn't go to waste.

There was now way the fish was getting into the boat, so I tied a line around his tail, and, with Chad and Justin pulling in their Hobies and Lucas doing guard duty, we got it back to the beach in like an hour and a half.

Plenty of rapt tourists on the beach. Even the hotel staff was coming out to take a gander and snap some selfies. By the time I got everything loaded up to go, the concierges and counter staff were coming out in their cashmere sweaters and high heels to ogle the shark filling the bed of my full-size pickup. It was a really cool experience.

I never got the shark weighed, because I knew it was going to be a long day of cleaning up and I didn't have the time to drive to the landing, unload everything, reload, then head home. I'm no trophy hunter, so a fair estimate of 150 pounds is good enough for me. This fish was big. I didn't finish breaking it down till 4 PM, then I had to go to the car wash to get all the blood out of my truck! I must say, a lined truck bed parked on a slight incline is a great way to clean a large fish and trap the gore.

Chad made good on his promise to take some meat. He met me last night and I delivered like a third of the meat to him. Lucas got his last night, too. I've already gifted out a large amount to friends and neighbors, and I'm left with about as much as me and the wife can eat. It's not going to waste.

I definitely learned a lot about pulling on an outsized gamefish yesterday, and I think I'll be able to do a better release in the future. But I feel good about having taken such a monster, and those sweet thresher steaks have already made a lot of people happy.
Attached Images

FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
smokie

Beast!! Nice work.
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

When he woke up you were moving! Amazing that it just circled and did not tow you out to sea. Congrats on the catch! Most guys are quick to exaggerate shark weights, Id say you got it right
Old 05-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Most guys are quick to exaggerate shark weights, Id say you got it right
I hate to make false claims of big fish. I inched my estimate up from "Oh man he's at least sixty or seventy pounds" at color, to, "this thing is probably a hundred," to "damn it's over 120" to "maybe 150 is a better guess" when two guys could barely move it and it filled the bed of the truck.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #5
TJones

good meeting you

now that i have some experience on the water and realize the importance of the system and how much pressure the Jewel is seeing at an ever increasing amount, I realize the importance of not posting . i respect the option to post and yes , i might have done the same if had been me to land one . . but the reality is now that this is full blown, there will be a dozen more T's landed out of 20-50 more hookups give or take . it was amazing to be there and witness this frenzy first hand. nature has a way of taking care of itself and man has a way of trying to interfere. had i known the yellows were not biting i probably would have stuck around and try some more at them . tight lines.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
rhyak

Awesome report...

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
rhyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
now that i have some experience on the water and realize the importance of the system and how much pressure the Jewel is seeing at an ever increasing amount, I realize the importance of not posting . i respect the option to post and yes , i might have done the same if had been me to land one . . but the reality is now that this is full blown, there will be a dozen more T's landed out of 20-50 more hookups give or take . it was amazing to be there and witness this frenzy first hand. nature has a way of taking care of itself and man has a way of trying to interfere. had i known the yellows were not biting i probably would have stuck around and try some more at them . tight lines.

THIS GUY

guess there always has to be a critic.

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
govomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Unreal experience out there yesterday.
Unreal indeed. Congratulations! Could you give us some details on the technical side? I doubt you used a YT rig, or...?
govomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:59 PM   #9
JeffB

Nice!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #10
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by govomit View Post
Unreal indeed. Congratulations! Could you give us some details on the technical side? I doubt you used a YT rig, or...?
I was flylining hoping for YT!

65lb braid, albright knot, 40lb yo-zuri, san diego jam knot, 4/0 owner circle hook, greenback mackerel.

Old TLD15 and a 20-50lb Okuma Blue Diamond rod.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:08 AM   #11
octico

Very cool report. Nice fish too.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote