Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #21
Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecollins86 View Post
Man, such awesome responses...I love this community!!

I guess I have to come clean with you guys...

I have a bit of a shark phobia, goes WAYYYYY back to seeing Jaws when I was 11...that's what's making me be chicken s--t to go out. I read about the attack on TWO kayakers off malibu in 1989 and it's really spooked me. I know all the facts/figures but couple this attack with the recent 'upending' of that lady off Catalina (man, that could have been REALLY bad) and I'm just kind of paralyzed to go out there. Also, I'm not a veteran fisherman from the boats moving to a yak, I'm a noob period. I'm afraid of getting out there and doing something really stupid....sooooooooo I guess I'm kinda asking if there's a Sunday in the next few weeks when somebody(s) would like to head out there? I live in Rancho Cucamonga and could get up as early as needed to get to La Jolla (I figure that's the candy store right now, yes?)

Thanks again guys for all the GREAT advice. I hadn't even thought about the spectra backlashes...I'm getting better casting my avets, but am still pretty green. I think straight 40 mono for my 2 speed SX will be the way to go for the 'iron launcher'. Same for the bait rig, for now. I have to admit, I'm a little afraid to bring the 9' out there just yet. It is a BEAUTIFUL set up (maroonish ultra seeker with matching red sx 2 speed---I got my wife to 'allow' it since I switched jobs to be closer to home!!!) and I wouldn't want it to go over.

Lastly, how hard is it to get back on the boat? I'm a big 320 6'3" guy and am a little concerned about that. I think I'll practice it out at Puddingstone b4 I go out. Don't have the balls to actually do it in the ocean!

Again, my sincere thanks to you all for helping me out!

mike collins
The average great white youd see out here in california is maximum 16 feet long. Your Xfactor is 14.5 feet long... a Great White attacking you is highly unlikely, your chances of dieing in a car acident on the way to La Jolla is 100x higher than a great white trying to eat you. Keep that in mind. Theres alot worse things out thier that could make a situation get ugly fast.

As a big guy kayakfishing myself...i know thiers things that get in the way(beer gut!). Also weight capacities and harder paddling is just part of the game.

The X-factor is the best choice...for someone your size DONT GET THE BACK HATCH INSTALLED!! trust me, im the same size as you. its given me nothing but problems.

I now fish out of Ocean Kayak - Prowler Big Game, This kayak is pretty sweet, it turns a whole lot easier than an x-factor. But honestly i miss my x-factor more.

The Avet SX is a little light for 40lb, Im fidnign that out myself, Its a great 20lb reel though. I throw Iron from a damn Shimano Cardiff, spooled with 50lb spectra. i woudlnt take my advice :P

Ulua with a good 40lb avet on it cant be beat for throwing iron. but 7.5 to 8 feet max is all you really need.

Lastly, i was in a situation where i fell off the kayak. Water in december is cold!...and a yact had to fish me out of the water, i was too weak to pull myself up...i was in bad shape. Ive made all the worst mistakes so far!!

Drive on down to Dana Point soemtime and well do some fishing! As a Big guy myself i can help answer any questions you have.

- Gino
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
IntrntFshrman

Sorry guys, I meant I have a JX two speed...
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #23
Whizz Bang

Mike,

I live in Vista and have been fishing LJ every weekend for the last 6 weeks. I too am a Noob, however, you are welcome to fish with me any time...pm me when you are planning on going, Ill be out there this weekend.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #24
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Back to the subject of inexpensive rods and reels. As a relative noob myself, I believe that it makes sense to start out with moderately priced gear until I know what works best for me.

I shop Craig's List sometimes and have run across a guy named Gerry who sells a lot of very high quality stuff from his garage in Carlsbad. He offers some of the lesser known brands at very reasonable prices. He also sells some the good stuff but so far I have not yet dipped into that pool.

I am not a shill for Gerry so if you are interested, go to Craig's List and search for the stuff you want. He is a regular poster.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #25
the dude

Here's a 25% off coupon for Sports Authority to get you started:

http://img.ed4.net/tsa/images/TSA_20...ges/coupon.pdf
Old 08-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #26
driftwood

Great Whites hate the taste of plastic! One bite on the kayak and Mr White will leave you alone and you will have a great topic of conversation for the rest of your life. BTW you have a better chance of getting hit by lighting on a sunny day than getting attacked by a Great White shark. Here is a clip of the best part of the movie and i still LUV IT!

• Jaws "

• driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #27
    JrBasser

What're you trying to say gino?

"a Great White attacking you is highly unlikely, your chances of dieing in a car acident on the way to La Jolla is 100x higher than a great white trying to eat you. "

I blew a tire on the way to la jolla a week ago and totalled my cherokee. Are you saying I should stay off the water?
    JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #28
    IntrntFshrman

thanks guys!

Thanks everybody for the encouragement, pms and offers. I just started back to school (I teach band so I have no life....) so I don't have much time right now, but I plan on taking one of those guided tours in the fall to go lobster hooping at night and I will DEFINITELY take you guys up on your offers to go out next summer. I'd like to go out on a guided class with Jim Sammons or one of the guys here before I start going out on my own or even with you guys so I don't do 'stupid noob mistake #1,2,3,4,.......'

I'm starting to feel a little better about the shark thing...I still creep out when I see all the pictures of guys holding their fish with their legs dangling in the water though!!

Also, regarding the original issues, I think my Seeker american series rods will do great for the yak. I have 3 jx 2 speeds plus my sx for calicos so I think I'm set.

Last question to you guys though, what are your thoughts on sabiki rigs? It sounds cool to actually get one of those Ahi rigs that OEX cuts down, but I've read of people actually getting hooked up with big fish while making bait...it sounds kind of scary to get hooked up with something like that. Could you get pulled in ont the sabiki rig? I have two nice little trout spinning rods I use for fresh water (4lb test) that I think would do the job nicely, but messily (all the sabiki hooks dangling around)

Anybody have ideas on which is better, how you do it?

Again, thanks for all the great ideas, encouragement...I was tempted to hit you guys up to go out Labor Day weekend, but chickened out and am going out on the Seahorse with some noob friends for an overnighter....plus, I'm 320lbs and REALLY want to be able to get around my stomach (as in see it disappear!) before I trust going out on the open ocean. It's hard for me to open the hatch below me because of my 'Round Table Pizza/Burrito Belly'...

Thanks, again!

Mike in Rancho Cucamonga
    Old 08-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #29
    Billy V

My hands down favorite rod/reel set up for Kayak Fishing is:

A 7 ft. Graftech 20-30 Rod with a Diawa Sealine X 40 HA 5:1 Reel.

This combination weighs almost nothing, super light, but strong enough to handle good size Thresher Shark, all size Yellowtail, BSB, WSB and anything La Jolla Has to offer.

This year I had my share of speed demon hook ups on threshers and the drags held up fine.
    I recently swapped out the stock drags for Carbotex Carbon Fiber Drags and the reel performs even better.

The rod retails for $169, but periodically go on sale for $135.
    They were ON Sale Big Time at last years Fred Hall Show for $99

The Reel is typically $120. Spool it up with 30 lb P-Line Mono and your Good to Go for Most Everything.
    -Except fishing directly in the kelp. You will need Spectra for that.
    Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #30
    Whizz Bang

Mike, lets go fishing this weekend!

Mike,

I bought my kayak about 8 or 9 weeks ago. Before that, I was the guy who fished the cattleboats a measly 6 times a season. Often, I would have one of the deckhands tie my hook for me. Pathetic. 9 weeks ago I "stumbled" across the niche sport of kayak fishing and my life changed. I went to Ric at OEX Kearny and told him I needed everything. He talked me through it every step of the way. I owe Ric big time and he has my loyalty as a return customer forever.
    I then bought my gear rods/reels/tackle and started teaching myself how to fish. I became addicted to the various sites dedicated to this sport and have read every article posted on 'How to Catch ____' (fill in the species) at least twice. I have never fished the bay. My first time on my kayak, or any kayak, was at La Jolla. With the exception of one fruitless morning at coronado, La Jolla is the only place Ive ever launched.

The only thing you should be concerned about is dumping your rig at the launch. That is really the most probable concern you have. No one likes to lose gear.

I think we need to take the mystique out of this whole La Jolla/ocean thing. My offer is still open to take you out. I understand your concerns about being in shape, however, great fishing can be had from a very comfortable distance/easy paddle from the launch. How about this weekend? I have been logging alot of hours out there recently. Most of them fruitless, but I promise not to laugh, anything you could do Ive probably already done it. In fact we can start the am with a couple of practice launches and a self rescue (no gear) if that would increase the comfort level.

Now for the Sabiki rig: I have the chopped version and it works great. If I could go back and do it again, I would go with the longer version. It is a pain to have to trim down the sabiki rig to fit the length. I can only really fish 3-4 hooks. I have never had anything bigger than a bonito chase my bait...but the only concern is that you would break your sabiki rig, not the rod. Honestly, I pray for the day that big fish are crashing my sabiki....that would be one epic day of fishing.

I now know what Ive been missing, and it kills me to see someone standing on the sidelines and hesitating...DO IT! PM me and lets go.
    Old 08-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #31
    yakrider

You bought the Avets to use...
    use them...
    I fish with Trinidads at La Jolla and everywhere else I fish
    boat, kayak...it's all the same...
    If the surf is questionable...I stow on launch...
    and no matter what the conditions...
    I always stow on landing...
    the reels come off the rods and go into a drybag
    and go inside the kayak all the time...
    then get rinsed off at home...
    use the good stuff...
    it's way more fun...
    you own it...
    use it...
    yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2009, 04:31 AM   #32
    Whizz Bang

I just got a PM. Im taking Mike out Saturday. Hes finally gonna do it.

I can just see the tour now. And over here I saw one of Josh's clients take a big one. Over there I saw another one josh's clients take one. Over there I saw a picture of one of Joshs clients holding one........
    Old 08-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #33
    Billy V

Take your kayak wheels for the return trip from the launch, Saturday is always crowded. Bring your hot weather gear and stay hydrated.

Catch a Big One.
    Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #34
    warrior

you'll have a blast

I'm an orange county yakker but I've fished LJ twice everyone one was helpful especially mike (miguelitro) I'm recuperating from knee surgery but I'm hoping to try my newest Yak (15 trident) soon.

I love my sealine 20 & 30, looks like I'll be adding a 40, I also use my jigmasters and a shimano 15/30. I'm a pretty good caster but I leave my 9 footers for the boat; mainly use calstar and seeker 6 and 7 footers. I must admit that I have a few big five "on sale rods" that work just as well. I think the blanks and wraps are fine but the eyes seem to wear faster. I clean everything after each use and so no problems there.

Most of us have built our fishing gear over years so take it slow and see what you need and like what you buy; you'll save money in the long run.

Go get em!
    warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #35
    IntrntFshrman

Excited

Guys, I'm so excited at going out tomorrow! Eric is going out today so I'll know how things are biting soon. With the intense heat, I'm hoping the water heats up and we see some action.

With things being so warm, do you guys think swim trunks and a decent shirt/hat/good sunblock is enough? How much water do you bring on board? I was thinking of going to bass pro shops (closest thing to me...no 'oex-type' places I know of nearby) to get some yakking clothes, but I don't just want to run out and buy any old thing if trunks/what I have will work in this weather.

Also, I don't think I can stay the entire day so exposure shouldn't be a big issue.

Any last minute advice? I'm thinking of bringing the following:

LX 6.01 40lb straight mono/matched calstar rod--bait rig/yo-yo jig rig.

JX 2 speed spectra backing but 90-100yds 40lb top shot matching seeker american series rod--surface jig. The rod is only 6 1/2 feet long but I really don't want to bring my 9' ULUA super seeker on the first trip to take a dump and lose it or something else...

SX 15lb mono seeker matched blue series for calicos/bonito.

I have one of those Sabiki rods but don't want the hassle of putting the SX on/off it so I think I'll bring a little 4lb test trout spinning rod I have.

I figure this is enough for first time, no? I have weights/hooks/Tady 45s in a few colors and the Tady surface ones as well. I have some jig baits as well for calicos.

The only thing I'm wondering is will the trout sabiki be a big hassle on the yak? Should I get a cheap little newell or something to put on it? Or even duct tape the spinning reel to it?

Can't wait!!!!
    Old 08-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #36
    Holy Mackerel
    Señor member

Leave the trout rod at home, here is your sabiki rod.

Quote:
    SX 15lb mono seeker matched blue series for calicos/bonito.
    Once you get enough bait, stow your sabiki around a piece of pool noodle.

If you have hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, shorts, T-shirt will be fine, unless you are super sensative to sun. Just re-apply sunscreen.

good luck!
    Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #37
    IntrntFshrman

What is a pool noodle?
    Old 08-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #38
    warrior

I have waders but all summer I've gone out with shorts or light water pants. I always wear a long sleeve, light colored athletic shirt, the kind that drys fast. A must, is a hat, I wear a broad brim Indiana Jones type and sunscreen. Don't forget water and snacks. If you have a water proof camera; take it, you never know when you might want to capture the moment for you or someone else.

I wish I was going too, I told my wife that I would hardly use my knee and I promised to keep the bandages dry . How do you think that went over.

Have fun I'm not going
    warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #39
    dorado50

A cork from a wine bottle works just fine Sounds like your all geared up! Hope you get that 60# YT and/or that 70# WSB! good luck....
    dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #40
    IntrntFshrman

Last question:

Do you guys tie your gear on before heading out (jig/hooks/weight) or wait til you get out there? I would figure it's cool to troll while you're paddling out there, but have no idea how far it is to the kelp...is it just a 100 yards or so, or much further?

Thanks!