Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
619-SWIM-DOG

LJ or Big Bay Monday???

Well I took Monday off for my birthday, as I always go kayak fishing since I started this great sport 4 years ago. Im just trying to decide if the surf will be shit at LJ and if so just go the the Big Bay. Looked at Larrys report and hope things change on the smaller side, dont need a yard sale.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
FISH11

You never know till you get there. The surf / wave forecast sometimes helps and other times they are way off. Last Monday I went out at La Jolla and the forecast said 1.5' waves sounded great. I get there and they are over 3 to 4 feet. Had a hard time getting out taking numerous waves diving me backwards and it took 2 tries to get through and about 8 to 9 wave hitting me chest and face, some breaking right on me. Those where the ones that push you back. On the landing I'm coming in in what looks easy 1.5' waves and then one catches up to me that was like 4' and broke right on me and pulled the paddle right out of my hand as I was starting to brace. Needless to say I rolled faster than I could say SH*T. Yesterday Thursday I go out and the weather Lady on the news at 6am is saying wave could be 3 to 5 feet so I thought to drive down and if they were high possibly go out to SD Bay. When I get there the waves are like 1' high and where the same at landing at 4PM. So just go check it out first or maybe look at the LJ Webcam on this site first. Good Luck, Mark
Old 08-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
619-SWIM-DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
You never know till you get there. The surf / wave forecast sometimes helps and other times they are way off. Last Monday I went out at La Jolla and the forecast said 1.5' waves sounded great. I get there and they are over 3 to 4 feet. Had a hard time getting out taking numerous waves diving me backwards and it took 2 tries to get through and about 8 to 9 wave hitting me chest and face, some breaking right on me. Those where the ones that push you back. On the landing I'm coming in in what looks easy 1.5' waves and then one catches up to me that was like 4' and broke right on me and pulled the paddle right out of my hand as I was starting to brace. Needless to say I rolled faster than I could say SH*T. Yesterday Thursday I go out and the weather Lady on the news at 6am is saying wave could be 3 to 5 feet so I thought to drive down and if they were high possibly go out to SD Bay. When I get there the waves are like 1' high and where the same at landing at 4PM. So just go check it out first or maybe look at the LJ Webcam on this site first. Good Luck, Mark
I was out last monday too in LJ. I gave you a wave as I was heading in(yellow outback). I made it in and out ok but it was the biggest ive launched at LJ. Its a coin flip I guess.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
FISH11

Even with the large waves it was a fun day out there. I been out when it was much larger wave and even wind swept white caps, but usually have not had the problem during landing I had on Monday. I think I got a little too relaxed and even though I kept looking back, it surprised me when that rouge wave was so much higher then the rest and ready to break on me instead of passing under or breaking behind me. I guess you can't always have those easy landings and need to be ready for anything every landing.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
EntropyFletch

Its a SSE swell from hurricane Karina along with longer period SSW swell from the Southern Pacific, there is very little NW windswell in the mix, but there is a little. The launch at the shores is most susceptible to swell from the W to the NW, but the hurricane swell will be going right past. Shouldn't be too bad in my estimation...
EntropyFletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
FISH11

Angry

This was Monday on the way in. Rouge wave, most where 2 feet, no problem. This one built up slowly and looked like the rest until it was very close and had not broken. Not expecting it to be that big I reacted too late in the process of bracing. You know what happened shortly afterwards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Still 5.jpg (33.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 08-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
YTHunter
Carlisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
This was Monday on the way in. Rouge wave, most where 2 feet, no problem. This one built up slowly and looked like the rest until it was very close and had not broken. Not expecting it to be that big I reacted too late in the process of bracing. You know what happened shortly afterwards.
Just looking at your picture, I knew it wouldn't end well!
YTHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Dannowar

It's just a big wave not a rogue wave

Rogue waves (also known as freak waves, monster waves, killer waves, extreme waves, and abnormal waves) are relatively large and spontaneous ocean surface waves that occur far out at sea, and are a threat even to large ships and ocean liners.[1]