Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
5-20

SUP Fishing La Jolla or Similar Beaches - Who Has Tried It?

I had a Malibu XFactor for a while and sold it a few months ago. I've been thinking about getting back into a yak for a while...

But now I'm starting to become increasingly curious about fishing from a SUP.

Seems like that'd force me to really minimize things. One rod, a limited amount of gear. More launch points. Less stress.

Haha, I don't know. I've been doing more reading about it and came across this cool youtube video that shows a dude fishing Swami's and landing a really nice thresher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdA7jr8GfLs

Looking for input from those that have tried it or are very familiar with the SUP platform.

A major concern is keeping bait alive. In the youtube video, I'm not really sure what the guy is doing to keep his bait alive. Seems like it's similar to a bait canister that people drag behind yaks, but made out of some type of fabric instead. Looks like only 2 or 3 good sized macks could fit in there, though...

Hmm, looks fun!
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #2
Denis_Ruso

I would just forget it and get back in a Kayak especially as the new ones have standing platforms.

I have a buddy who bough a SUP to fish and its usually a 25% chance of him going out. Paddleboards are less stable and have less range in anything but perfect conditions.

You can forget fishing offshore since as soon as a little wind picks up you a fighting for balance the whole time. Not to even mention, lugging a 30 lb fish back to shore somewhere on deck.

Don't get me wrong, there are benefits to the SUP but in my opinion its mainly for lakes, harbors and close to shore kelp fishing.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:18 PM   #3
sling360
Junior

I tried It, a lot harder than it looks. especially with wind and swell days. I think a lot of guys that do it have surfed a lot or are strong swimmers, which aim not. In the video that guys bait was pretty much dead think I saw the tail twitch a little, most of the SUP fisherman I've seen just toss iron/lures even seen a fly fisherman.
I recommend renting one and trying it out before you spend the $$$
sling360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

My friend dives off an inflatable SUP. Thing is a solid dive platform. He uses a kayak paddle and sits cross-legged on it to paddle, which is kooky as hell, but he hauls ass, so I guess it's only stupid if it doesn't work!

I wouldn't want to fight a fish standing up. The SUP is only truly stable when it's in motion. Kneeling or sitting with light tackle and light drag, it could be fun as hell to throw the megabait and try to tease YT up with 5lbs of drag on light line.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Definitely more susceptible to the wind. Gotta pick yer days! I have gone out of LJ a couple times on the SUP, this was maybe 6-7 years ago, I thought that shallow water YT bite norte would be a hoot, just catching 1 bait at a time.

bigger boards make it way easier, but paddling em gets to be more work. This was San Carlos MX.

I have yet to get a really good fish on one, plenty of bass in the harbor.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
pingpangdang

Here is a video of a tail landed on a sup...once gaffed the seals looked like they were goingtoslide onboard. https://youtu.be/lpqsYdQb5dk

Wouldbe cool to get a sup that could ride waves decent. Go to the beach get skunked but make up for it riding waves leaving a crate and pole on the beach insight.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
pingpangdang

Surfing waves and catching bait at thesame time. setup in the description. https://youtu.be/8vhkNAUgvuY

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
2-Stix

I got a friend in Santa Cruz that only fishes off them and kills it. he also has been circled a few times by the tax man. I'm a fan of guys doing it their way.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #9
5-20

Lots of cool stuff in this thread!

Yeah, I'm not going to dive into this headfirst. I'll try to get some time on a decent SUP that would be ideal for fishing, see how that feels, try to actually paddle it out into the fishing grounds around LJ and I guess we'll see how that goes.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
taggermike

Long before SUPs showed up, and before most rotomolded kayaks I fished off a big wind surfing board. It wasn't stable enough to stand on and long SUP paddles weren't around. I sat cross legged on the board n used a short wooden canoe paddle. Bolted a milk crate to the front, 2 rods, n a small plano box. Worked great. Caught lots of bass in the ocean and bays. No yt or bigger fish tho. Guys thought I was crazy but I killed the big corvina in the Salton sea.

If you can find a cheap SUP or old wind board I'd say go for it. But if its gonna be pricy get a kayak. A couple companies make rotomolded SUPs designed for fishing. Native water craft's versa board looks sweet. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote