Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
roby
CEO of Team Roby

pvsfish.org

DFG approached me on the water this past weekend while I was kayak fishing. They did the usual check up and then they handed me a little pamphlet. On the pamphlet (www.pvsfish.org) it showed an area they marked in red, which was contaminated (from Santa Monica Pier to Seal Beach Pier), and the pamphlet showed which fish should and should not be eaten in this area. On the list of "not to eat" included white croaker, barred sand bass, black croaker, topsmelt and barracuda. On the eat "1 time a week" list included several fish; just to name a few were halibut, rockfish, calicos, and corbina. I knew croakers were a "no, no," but I didn't think some of the other fish were.

I know this area is further up north for many on this message board, but is this new or has this info been around for awhile....

I was also approached by someone taking a survey on the same day. They wanted to know some information about how I did on the water. I've seen people taking fishing surveys before...what is there angle? I've just been learning about MLPAs and want to know who is friend and foe...thanks.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
swank

DFG Fish Surveys are the norm, usually run into them on the beach or on the pier. Halibut, Calico and Corbina on the 1 a week is new to me. When I heard sandbass and cuda were on the "do not eat" list last year I couldn't believe it since they're migratory fish
swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
Ed
Fringe Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
I was also approached by someone taking a survey on the same day. They wanted to know some information about how I did on the water. I've seen people taking fishing surveys before...what is there angle? I've just been learning about MLPAs and want to know who is friend and foe...thanks.
Creel surveys are a standard fisheries management tool. The data is used by biologists to generate estimates of angler use, catch rates and harvest, etc.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
GregAndrew

Nothing new. They have had those maps available on their website for quite a while. Just about every coastal and inshore area is marked either red or yellow and corresponds to some weekly intake of the species caught there. They also recommend less fish intake for females than males.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

JMHO
Respect the Warden, hes doing his job, if your in the right, have your paperwork ready, no different then being pulled over. When it comes to the surveys, they are usually Collage kids / volunteers, either way if no badge I don't talk to them.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #6
maui jim

I agree Bus Kid...

I have been approched by the DFG several times Float tubing, Kayaking, boating, and hunting...Lakes, Ocean, National Forests and on Private Ranches, and Sportmans Clubs, and in the most unexpected places.

Once the standard questions are over I usually talk to them for quite some time, most have good knowledge since they are most likely are locals to the areas they work..most of them choose there own hours of working times and what areas they will check on.

If you have a extra bottle of water with you share it with them, I gotten some great productive information on areas from that small jester. Both fishing and hunting.

It's just a job someone has to do...and if you love the outdoors what a bitchen job.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
If you have a extra bottle of water with you share it with them, I gotten some great productive information on areas from that small jester. Both fishing and hunting.

It's just a job someone has to do...and if you love the outdoors what a bitchen job.
i agree with you. after watching wild justice and seeing what these guys have to do, i have a new found respect for them. and if you really do appreciate the outdoors and our natural resources and want to protect it, then you should too.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

btw, white croakier taste terrible, your better off releasing it.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Thanks for the replies. I enjoy encounters with the DFG and encourage it...I spoke with them for about 10 minutes or so - super friendly guys. It was the person taking the survey I was unsure of since it's optional to give up info. Thanks again...
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #10
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
JMHO
Respect the Warden, hes doing his job, if your in the right, have your paperwork ready, no different then being pulled over. When it comes to the surveys, they are usually Collage kids / volunteers, either way if no badge I don't talk to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
I agree Bus Kid...

I have been approched by the DFG several times Float tubing, Kayaking, boating, and hunting...Lakes, Ocean, National Forests and on Private Ranches, and Sportmans Clubs, and in the most unexpected places.

Once the standard questions are over I usually talk to them for quite some time, most have good knowledge since they are most likely are locals to the areas they work..most of them choose there own hours of working times and what areas they will check on.

X-2!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote