Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
5-20

Plumb Livewell in XFactor... or Not

I have plans to plumb the livewell in my xfactor that's on order, but now I'm starting to have second thoughts about doing so.

I'm not too crazy about having a bunch of holes in the 'yak, including one on the bottom of the hull for the pump. Also, I'm thinking I might want to be able to use that compartment for storage occasionally, which would probably be a lot drier/more effective without the inflow/outflow holes in it.

It seems like I would be able to minimize the risk of things going wrong with the livewell fittings one day (and sinking.... yikes!!!) while also taking advantage of its capacity by just buying an aerator and manually filling up/emptying the livewell as needed, and eventually buying a portable one for the back of the yak.

Hmmmm, thoughts?
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
OEX Sunset Beach

It is pretty slick and still leaves you with a center hatch, rear hatch and bow hatch for storage.

OEX Sunset Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
easyday

An Aerator is not going to keep bait alive in your well all day. I had an x factor for a while and I loved having the tank built in it was so convenient, and it doubled as a normal hatch when the tank well was not in use.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
5-20

Yeah, I know... in theory, I think it's fantastic. I'm just worried about stowing things in the hatch and possibly bumping into and/or breaking the pump, and having the stress on any of these plastic parts, either the pump or yak, turn into a failure (huge hole) in the boat when I'm a mile out...
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
easyday

Ive rolled it in the surf, been upp against jetties and docks, I really ised my xfactor and I never had a leak in that system. Tje only place I got water through, was the hatches esp the front hatch while breaking through the surf.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
FISH11

If it's installed properly it shouln't have any problems. The thing you have to dicide, is would you rather use the front as additional storage or the bait tank. The earlier version did not have the front tank and had the option to make the hatch behind the seat into the built in bait tank. Also Malibu make a removable tank that fits into the rear hatch area and uses the hatch lid to seal the top of the tank. That way you still have both front hatches for a lot of storage. Look in the online store for the OEX link and check out that tank option in the bait tank menu. Good Luck. Great choice on the X Factor.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

I have an xfactor and love having my live well. OEX did an awesome job. With the other two compartments, storage is not a problem. Trust me, you'll love it.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
an aerator and manually filling up/emptying the livewell as needed
I did this for a while. I had a valve at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket so I could control how fast it drained and used a pitcher to keep it full. The aerator worked, but with the constant cycling of water was not necessary.

It was a cool system, but it's a hassle to top off the tank every 10 - 15 minutes. After a few months, I added a pump and a battery.

My $0.02 is: If you want to keep it simple, use a bait tube. If you want to have a bait tank, use a pump. If you have an X-Factor plumb the internal tank.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Irishman

I have a bait tank for my xfactor that is the 5 gallon bucket kind out the back, works great. I have also gone the super simple route where I used the pump that's like a bike pump that we use it bail the water, attached a 2 foot length of plastic hose, pump water into the forward hatch and good to go, every 30 mims or so I suck out the old water and pump new in. It takes minutes and is nice to have the capability to fully empty the hatch prior to landing, very simple and your using gear you should have anyway. My xfactor is the older model and I was thinking the same as you, dragging on sand , loading and unloading onto truck had me stressed out about a leak while out on the ocean.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote