Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-21-2006, 02:12 AM   #1
'Cuda

South Bay report 6/19

6am launch at Royal Palms (the city crew is opening the gate early now around 5:15). Chased some birds off White Point...turned out to be large green macks pushing the bait. Worked the bottom with a rust colored swimbait for a couple of sandies. Started criss-crossing the area where the kelp used to be and found a few calicos at 45ft. on a 2oz kroc. Hopefully the kelp will rebound this summer but for now pretty slim pickens.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
tattuna

How's the launch there? Is that the same launch with the steep hill?
tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
slayersmith

Tattuna,

I have launched there twice now and it's a two man launch. Went down the drive made a left, parked, went under the chain and rolled the kayaks on the dirt road about 30 yards. Took the kayak over the round rocks about 40ft then you hit lava rocks at low tide ( Lava rocks are sharp make sure you have shoes). Once you are in the water its an easy paddle out because the lava rocks make a chanel to get out, with no waves hitting you if the surf is 2 to 3 ft. have not tried to get out when its bigger.

I think the launch is alot ez'er at the old marine land site. I havent been there in a while, and I know they are building a big resort on the property. Doe's any body know if you can still park and launch there?

Here is the web site for the resort on the old marine land site terranea.com

Take it easy!

Aaron
slayersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:37 AM   #4
'Cuda

Go thru the gate and down the hill and go right past the life guard tower towards the bathrooms and park as far south as possible and launch from there. It's a steep smooth rock beach and easy to time the swells. Summer is usually mellow as the south swell misses it. Paddle straight out to a depth of 40-60 ft. I had a record calico catch there last year before the red tides with 16 landed....2-4 lb'ers on average with a 6 lb'er on the high side. Lots of bonito and barracuda action further off the kelp for fun and a couple of small WSB just shy of keeper and have spooked much larger ones hanging out in the kelp. I've even landed a few small Halibut just off the sandy beach north of the life guard tower. By far the most productive spot from Cabrillo to County Line for me.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote