Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
WahooUSMA

Mr. T - Premo

I got the new underwater Olympus camera the other day and had not really had the opportunity to put it good use (takes better video under water than on land - night time pics are not the best), but overall I would recommend it for the price.

I met up with Premo yesterday in the usual spot. The conditions were outstanding, with the exception of a few knucklehead boaters every now and then. It certainly did not feel like December - Damn, what a bitchin' day! As usual, I was running a little late so Premo went ahead and made bait, which by the way was everywhere. We dropped our lines at 190ft and it was not more than 30 minutes when Premo's reel started screaming with one pissed off Thresher. This had to be the most acrobatic fish I had ever seen. At one point she jumped about 20 feet in front of my yak. I was scrambling to get the camera out of the side pouch and retrieve my line at the same time, and by the time I got the video rolling, Premo was en-trail with the T and along for the ride. She didn't take him for long rides, but rather a burst one way, then circle down, then back 20 yards in the other direction. Anyway, I shot about 30 minutes of video and condensed it down to 3. The beginning is a little boring, but there are some neat clips of her under water, jumping, and when we released her.

Side note: Premo my brotha, we have to do something about your choice of tunes...LMFAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MdI56mmMRs
WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
GREYAK
Junior

W T G !!!
GREYAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Fiskadoro

Wow great markings on that T shark with the white tipped fins. I've never seen one with those markings, very cool!!!
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Ohana

Very nice!

They seem to be moving along the coast right now; I saw a boat pass me while I was fishing Newport Harbor today with a 130 lb. roped up on the the boats swim step.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
shortstack

The Master!!!

Premo, You are the master when it comes to catching Threshers on light tackle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
shortstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
BWE
Administrator

Right on!!!

Very neat video of the T shark under the yak.

RELEASED!
BWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
NextBite

WTG!
Old 12-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
j mo

That was way better than I was expecting. Amazing to see that fish underwater, a true machine~
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
steveooo

Yeah Premo! Get some!

Great video too!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:45 AM   #10
-scallywag-
Banned

damn, nice one.....good job releasing it and staying after your target species!!
That one looked like a male so its one of the few times you could of eaten him and not felt like a complete jackA$$...still better to release IMO.
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/at...st-tshark2.jpg
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Very cool video! And thanks to Skallywag for posting the info page on Threshers. I have often wondered about the correct procedure that should be used when releasing a shark.

Do most people cut the line or try to remove the hook?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #12
Gino

Premo!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #13
MalibuJohnny

Way to cool

Great shot!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #14
Geoffkoop

Sweet!
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Very cool video! And thanks to Skallywag for posting the info page on Threshers. I have often wondered about the correct procedure that should be used when releasing a shark.

Do most people cut the line or try to remove the hook?

Bob
The ones I have hooked have mostly been tail hooked, as they place that long tail in front of the lure and the lure plows into the tail. In this case, I am able to pull the hook out; on yo-zuris and rapala shad-raps, I removed the center treble and replaced the rear treble with a double hook, which makes releasing easier and safer (less chance to have a free treble from re-hooking the shark or me!). Also, I try to get them is as quick as possible to prevent them from dying when tail hooked, as they no longer can get water across their gills when being pulled by their tails.

On the ones that were hooked in the mouth, I used circles hooks and cut the leader as close to the mouth as possible, leaving the hook. The nice thing with T-sharks, at least from what I have found, they have a relatively small mouth, so a smaller circle hook can be used vs. what might be used for other sharks.

I hope that this helps.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #16
yaky yak

Bitching underwater shot. Premo your the man. It wasn't that long ago we were trying for our first, and now your a master. Congratulations (again)
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote