Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
sdjiricek

Perscription fishing Sunglasses, ANY EXPERIENCES?

Well for now Lasik is out of the equation and years of being in the sun and in the water without sunglasses are taking their toll. My eyes have gotten very sensitive and it's time to fork out for a pair. Iv'e been eyeing several differnt brands. Costa del Mars, Maui Jims, Smith Optics, and WileyX. Both Smith and WileyX let you order prescriptions directly from the websites while Maui Jim and Costa del Mars are sent of for about a 2wk turnaround. I'm looking at under $200 for the WileyX around $300 for the Maui Jims and and unkown amount for the Costa del Mars as their only seems to be one shop, up in encinitas, that handles their prescriptions. I'll primarily be using them for Kayk Fishing off La Jolla and day to day driving and recreation. If anyone has any experiences with these brands, or any orthers for that fact, I would really appreciate the inputs. Varoius tints and how they preform for my specified conditions, mirrored vs. non mirrored, comfort, service, problems, durability, getting burned by the optical stores, and price are all welcome topics. I'm leaning towards bronze or gray polarized tints with the polycarbonate lenses, which supposedly already filter 98% of UV light. I've already done a little bit of internet research but are all of these products created equally? This might also become a good topic to be pinned
sdjiricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
h2ofishfo

yeah costa del mars are sweet my bbuddy has a pair loves them whatever u get ,get a glass lens if u are going to shell out over a hundo ..i got hobie lenses amber tint there nice .but the lenses to get worn on the salt
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
Donfish

I worked sportboats for years and it used to run me $300+ but got my last pair from lenscrafters Poly carbonite polarized with RayBan Frames in an hour or so $200.
Donfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Donfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
yeah costa del mars are sweet my bbuddy has a pair loves them whatever u get ,get a glass lens if u are going to shell out over a hundo ..i got hobie lenses amber tint there nice .but the lenses to get worn on the salt
I was worried about that and scratched many pairs of glass lenses in the salt but the Polycarb lenses I'll swear by. Running 3 years now on my photogreys and lost my Polarized still no scratches.
Donfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:09 AM   #5
mars

I just ordered a pair of prescription Oakleys up at their shop in OC, but they won't be joining me on the water - waaaaay too expensive. Every pair of sunnies I wear out on the kayak get hammered. I have a pair of less expensive Ray Bans with polarized lenses for that (no prescription - but my sight isn't that bad yet). I like the Maui Jims but they're pretty pricey.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
GREYAK
Junior

I won a pair of Maui Jims on lets talk hookup. They only cost me $185 after the prescription, but they sure are nice.
GREYAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Billy V

I just bought a set of prescription sunglasses @ Walmart and I'm very satisfied with them. A Rayban style frame.

SunRx Polycarbonate lenses, Polarized Brown lens.

$98 out the door.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #8
bluesquids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I just bought a set of prescription sunglasses @ Walmart and I'm very satisfied with them. A Rayban style frame.

SunRx Polycarbonate lenses, Polarized Brown lens.

$98 out the door.
Ditto that, real Raybans though, tortise shell , 10 plus yrs...still going strong. Otherwise death to Walmart .

I took some sweet Native eyewear brand(Aqua Adventures) that I won in a raffle to a place for prescriptions and they F'd them up.