Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
sbsyncro

San Quintin in October...

Hello everyone - new guy posting for the first time...

A google search on San Quintin led me here, and it looks like there might be quite a few people on this forum with experience kayak fishing from San Quintin, Baja.

I went to school in San Diego and used to go down there a lot, but never to fish (mostly as an overnight on the way to Mulege or points south). I'm considering a 4 or 5 day trip down there from Santa Barbara with a friend, and just wondering about advice. (BTW, we'll have a 4wd truck) Specifically:

1. Camp or stay at the Old Mill (it is still there, right?). My preference would be to get a room, but IIRC the Old mill is WAAAY at the back of the bay and would make for a VERY long paddle out. If camping, how is the access nowadays to the point, and how are the camping spots out there?

2. Entry points - IIRC, the surf can get pretty big around the entrance to the bay - is it seasonal, and if so, what is it typically like in October?

3. Experience level - we're both seasoned "outdoorsmen" but relatively new to kayak fishing. Paddling a couple of miles doesn't bother us, but I'm not sure I'm ready for surf entries that are more than a couple of feet on the face. Any special equipment or tackle that you'd recommend? (I have a Cuda 250 S/map FF mounted on my Hobie Outfitter)

4. Species to target this time of year - any special advice? I think I am one of the worst fishermen on the planet, so it won't make much difference for me (I have a knack for catching fish that are an inch or two shy of legal, including back-to-back 27" WSB!)

5. Loading the yaks up on a panga - is this done to get to some of the outside reefs? If so, any recommendations?

6. Fishing spots - any recommendations? As I said, I am such a bad fisherman that even divulging your most secret spot won't have any impact on the fishery there!

7. Should we just go to La Buf? :-)

Thanks in advance for any advice (on these questions or any others).

-Brent
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
lamb

The problem with well thought out questions is - well there's just too much to answer.

I've never slept at the Old Mill, I've just been in the restaurant. I heard from a couple of people it is descent. It is waaay deep in the bay - you'd probably be better off just staying there and driving to launch someplace else. That whole area can hold game fish - your best bet is to talk to the locals / pangeros right at the Old Mill or at Don Eddie's, right around the corner. There's many more sportfishing gigs down there, they are all close by.

Surf can be nasty down there, you need to be careful. Not sure if I would recommend it if you guys don't have much experience. Hiring panga to take you out may be something to consider - they know the spots, they know where the bite is hot. You won't have to worry about the surf - they'll take your kayaks on board.

SQ Bay and that whole area is supposedly halibut heaven. I personally never caught a halibut down there. WSB is the main game - this season has been real good, and it's still (supposedly) going on. Yellows can be caught there too. You'll have a lot of other aux catch when the bite is good (bass, cudas, bonito, tomcod, rockfish).

Good luck and stay safe.

Welcome to BWE.

Last edited by lamb; 10-08-2007 at 06:28 PM.
lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
sbsyncro

Thanks Lamb, that sounds like the ticket - getting on a Panga to bring us out to the spots. Somehow, though, that just seems like cheating... (kinda like riding the ski lift up to the top to mountain bike back down)..

With only two or maybe three days to spend, the panga route seems the way to go.

Thanks again.

-Brent
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
madscientist

Also keep in mind that most Baja fish reports are a collection of "lies, damn lies, and statistics". They are desperate for business in SQ after the various incidents that have occurred recently on the highway and on the water. Make sure you have all the appropriate licenses/permits/visas. This time of year you are always gambling with the wind: it can blow like a SOB down there. The WSB bite has died off but you never know.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
sbsyncro

Hmm... Fill me in on the "recent incidents"... typically this means getting pulled over by fake cops and shaken down for $20. Are you talking about something more than that?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
esdees
The Good Clone

There have been a few car jackings, but the "police" only took money in the last reported episode. The main thing to take away from it all is that you shouldn't drive through the border area at night.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=13406
lambadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
madscientist

Don't forget the navy incident...

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/ba...ntin-pics.html
Old 10-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
sbsyncro

God, what a mess. I've not been to Baja in a long time (been busy raising little ones) but now they are older, I get to have more free time and was really looking forward to getting back down the Baja.

I mean, let's face it, Mexico has always been "third world" but for a savvy traveler who can stay away from trouble, it has always been a great destination with wonderful people, great food, and a terrific culture. Now it sounds like the bad guys are really running things down there.

Damned shame; I'll be thinking real hard about it before I decide to go spend any money down there. We have a family friend who is a high-ranking officer in the Mexican navy - I've forwarded the story about the boarding incident to him - it will be interesting to hear his reaction....
Old 10-25-2007, 07:06 AM   #10
crzyboy180
Junior

Just go, have fun, but be careful. If you can get to Rosarito thru TJ and not Playas, thats the route to take. If you have to go the "scenic" route thru playas, just dont drive it at night nor early morning.
There is soo much stuff that happens down here that gets no attention and people still come. These last couple of times it happened to people that are on the net. I live in TJ so my veiw is a little closer to the reality of how to deal with it, just be careful.
Joe
crzyboy180 is offline   Reply With Quote