Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
Dan

LJ Parking FYI

From a San Diego chapter Surfrider Foundation email...I'm not sure they're taking a side on this issue, but I'm going to try and show up and see what the deal is.

La Jolla Paid Parking
- On September 19th the La Jolla Community Parking Advisory Board approved a one-year test program aimed at reducing parking congestion in several high use coastal areas through parking meters and other time restricted spots, and preferential permits for residents and guests. The areas to be targeted are the Bird Rock business district, the Village, La Jolla Shores, and La Jolla Farms (Black's). The plan will be revised over the next month and submitted to the City Council in November. The next meeting is this Wednesday the 17th at 9am at the Atheneum, 1008 Wall Street in La Jolla 92037. Come on out and let them know what you think.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
wavster

It won't be a test program. Once they start collecting fees, there's no going
back to free parking.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
esdees
The Good Clone

That was nice of them to schedule the meeting at a convenient time for everyone.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
FISHIONADO

This meeting was just canceled because they didn't notify the public properly. I reviewed the plan, it didn't look like it included 2-hour parking limits at La Jolla Shores for the 1-year trial, yet. Dave
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:34 AM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Does anyone have a contact email, or phone # to someone in charge for us to voice our concern about this? If we cannot be there in person, we can at least send our viewpoint... Esp if the meeting is held M-F during business hours...

Thanks for putting this info out there... We are so lucky to have La Jolla free in the midst of a big city.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Dan

good info, thanks Dave. saves me a trip for now.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:40 AM   #7
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Does anyone have a contact email, or phone # to someone in charge for us to voice our concern about this? If we cannot be there in person, we can at least send our viewpoint... Esp if the meeting is held M-F during business hours...
Send comments on the Parking District Advisory Board's "Proposed Pilot Parking Program (attached) to:
Peter Wagener, LJCPDAB
c/o Promote La Jolla
1150 Silverado Street
La Jolla , CA 92037

Or parking@lajollabythesea.com
NOTE: Public comment is due by November 2nd.
Please copy the following groups or individuals as well:

La Jolla Town Council

lajollatowncncl@san.rr.com or La Jolla Town Council, 7734 Herschel Street, Suite F, La Jolla, CA 92037.

La Jolla Shores Association
LJSA@san.rr.com or LJSA, P.O. Box 64, La Jolla, CA 92038

Council District One
ScottPeters@sandiego.gov and ksweeney@sandiego.gov

La Jolla Village News, the email address is: ljvn@sdnews.com - put attn: Anne Terhune in the subject box.

La Jolla Light, send them to Dave Schwab at: daves@lajollalight.com
Old 10-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #8
wavster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
This meeting was just canceled because they didn't notify the public properly. I reviewed the plan, it didn't look like it included 2-hour parking limits at La Jolla Shores for the 1-year trial, yet. Dave
Dave, I looked at the plan and didn't see anything mentioned for La Jolla shores
either, but that I'm not sure that doesn't mean that it's not included.

I was planning to attend, but it would be nice to know that we can voice our opinions.
I'm not sure if this is a public opinion meeting or a "just sit there and listen to
what we have to say" type of meeting.

For those interested, here's a link to the La Jolla Community perspective on the
matter. http://www.lajollabythesea.com/docs/parking/

Politically, it will take some due diligence to find out who really stands to
win (politically). Conflict and special interest could invalidate this proposal.

We all know no matter what or how they charge for parking, it doesn't increase
the number of parking spaces or alleviate the parking problem. It's a farce.
This requires looking into existing law to see if there's an angle that can be
litigated, such as public access laws, misappropriation of tax dollars, etc.

If anyone hears any more info on this, I suggest posting it so that we can
voice our concerns. It appears that their next meeting is in November, but
that may have changed due to the cancellation of today's meeting.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #9
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thanks Dave!!!

Is there anyone out there, who is savvy and can write an online petition with appropriate, diplomatic language?

http://www.petitionspot.com/

It will be easier for all of us to send our concerns.... Who knows if it will help, but it is better than doing nothing....

Do you want to see this poor grow old, and never get caught!!!!

Edit> I agree, I don't see how meters alleviate traffic, and congestion, we will just have to pay for spots now... BS!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #10
lamb

I'm confused by all these web sites...

Is this what they're proposing?

The time limit would suck for us.

http://lajollacpa.org/parkplan.pdf
Old 10-17-2007, 07:12 AM   #11
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavster View Post
For those interested, here's a link to the La Jolla Community perspective on the matter. http://www.lajollabythesea.com/docs/parking/
That is not the community position, that is an org sponsored by local businesses. The community has been opposed overwhelmingly to parking limits and meters for years, we have pushed back every proposal the 10 years I have been following the issue. This is not an attempt to pull in parking revenue, this issue is driven by businesses in La Jolla that can't get enough customers because of no available parking. I recognize the dilemma for the businesses, there probably needs to be some compromise. I don't want to lose places like OEX, El Charro, Jeff's Burgers because they can't get enough customers. But don't mess with my kayak or surf session parking.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #12
wavster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
That is not the community position, that is an org sponsored by local businesses. The community has been opposed overwhelmingly to parking limits and meters for years, we have pushed back every proposal the 10 years I have been following the issue...
Dave, Thanks for your view (as a resident). Chris, unfortunately, I don't think a petition
is going to be enough to stop this. I think a a legal blockade is the only way.
Unfortunately, that takes a lot of time and effort, but definitely worth the fight.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #13
JohnOEX

Morning everybody, thought I'd chime in here and get involved in the paid parking discussion, as I've been involved in many discussions in relation to the parking issue in and around La Jolla Shores recently. By the way, I'm John and I'm partners with Brent over at OEX. I'm responsible for the dive end of our organization and also I'm better looking. Also, I've been a Board Member of the La Jolla Shores Association and other community groups in La Jolla for a number of years now.

The paid parking issue is a complex one. It is supported by some, and opposed by others. Would it help or hurt businesses in the Shores? I'm not sure, but I do know I don't like the idea. I would suggest those that feel strongly about this issue to get involved. Learn the facts, attend meetings and send letters. I can tell you the Parking Committee probably does not read this forum so I would encourage active participation if this is an issue you feel strongly about.

I understand that attending meetings and taking time out of your busy day can be a drag but it does make a difference. It's important to remember that somebody will be voicing his/her opinion on the subject, it might as well be you. Thanks, good luck out there!
JohnOEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #14
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Did they put some sort of public notice that they were canceling the meeting today? I didn't see anything on the website. It sucks spending that much time in traffic to get there only to find out that the place is empty.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #15
lamb

Hmm, that's lame.

Doug thanks for trying.

Pretty John, welcome on board.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #16
JohnOEX

Wish I would've thought of PrettyJohn as a user name first, Adi. Oh well. As for the Parking Meeting cancellation, it was due to the fact that they didn't post an agenda prior to 72 hours of the scheduled meeting, which by rule means they need to postpone. No word on a reschedule but if I hear of anything, I'll pass it along...
Old 10-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #17
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Dave or Dave, where can I get a copy of the proposal / plan? If I have a hard copy, I can see if I can persuade my wife to take a look at it. She is always pretty busy, but as some of us know, she is also a pretty savy litigation lawyer that may just see a way to slow or stop this beast; You never know... and it would be great if I could do something more than just sit and complain about my inconveniences to the advisory board....

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #18
JohnOEX

I copied and pasted the following from an email I just received. If anybody would like me to forward the attachments, shoot me an email at john@oexcalifornia.com and I'll pass it along.

Dear Interested Parties:

The La Jolla Community Parking District Advisory Board will be holding a public meeting on Wednesday, October 24th, 2007 at the Hotel Parisi ( 1111 Prospect Street in downtown La Jolla ) in the downstairs meeting room. The attached agenda will be posted at the La Jolla Visitor Center at 7966 Herschel Avenue.

Attached please find:
Agenda
Framework
Proposed Pilot Parking Program for La Jolla (with annotations).

Additionally: Please note that the following public meetings will also be considering the LJCPD Plan. Therefore if you are unable to attend Wednesday, there are many other opportunities to join the dialogue.

Wednesday, October 24 at 3:00pm at the Recreation Center –Promote La Jolla Special Board Meeting
Thursday, October 25 at 4:00pm at the Recreation Center-Joint Traffic and Transportation Meeting (LJTC, LJSA, BRCC, PLJ, CPA are represented)
Thursday, November 1 at 6:30 pm at the Recreation Center, the LJ Community Planning Association Meeting.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #19
JohnOEX

The following is a copy of an email just sent to me in regards to paid parking in La Jolla. Feel free to pass it along. John

Dear Neighbors,

A group of community members who have been active in community issues, has
started an email list to keep people informed on the parking situation in
the Village.

Parking is again becoming a hot-button issue. One group associated with the
Parking Board is vying to install paid parking meters, while other groups
oppose this move, including many Village businesses, La Jolla residents who
live near or shop in the Village, and coastal access advocates.

If you would like to join this email list, please contact Darcy Ashley at
darcys01@hotmail.com

Here is the message sent by Darcy Ashley:

Friends & Neighbors,

A network is needed to coordinate efforts on parking in La Jolla. We are
organizing a parking email list for community members to join.

This will be tailored to people who are concerned about the impact of "paid
on-street parking," which the Parking Board calls the "framework" or "Pilot
Plan."

The community needs a clearing house for information & a system for
reminders and up-to-date information and a forum to seek alternatives.

If you would like to participate in this email list, please let me know by
e-mailing me at darcys01@hotmail.com .

Volunteers are also needed to deliver flyers, put together mailings, collect
petition signatures, write letters to the editor and attend meetings. If
you are able to help with any of these things, let me know this also.

Please forward this to friends you think would be interested!
Old 10-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #20
Dan

Thanks for the info - good to see an organized opposition.