Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
HookFynn

Gear vs. Saltwater

Figured I'd throw this out to the wise and experienced masses and maybe someone could offer me some advice.

How do you all protect and preserve the reels you use for saltwater? I'm new to the world of serious saltwater fishing and 3 of my reels are now shot- 2 Abu 5500c's and a Shimano Curado. I religiously rinse and clean them when I get home and then hang them to dry in my garage but after only a few months, 3 reels are now almost completely toast.

Any suggestions? I did a lot of inshore fishing back in NY but back then I was only using spinning reels and they never rotted away like this.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan Alexander
HookFynn- "for those who FISH."
HookFynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
dorado50

Don't rinse them,big mistake, fresh water forces salt into reels. Just wipe down with damp cloth. Store reels on side with handle side up, any water inside will rest on" less important" componets. Have reels cleaned and inspected every so often at a tackle shop, anotherwords you will need rotating reels!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
madscientist

Depends on the reels. Some high end stuff will hold up with a quick rinse and an annual regreasing. With midrange and lower stuff it's usually a matter of postponing the inevitable, with the exception being the seemingly indestructible Daiwa Sealines. Reel-X can help a bit but not much.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Pat

The Sealines have stayed in my car for weeks and still work, year after year. I occasionally rinse them if I'm not going to fish for awhile and not one has ever been apart or needed new drags. For $100 they are a steal.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
h2ofishfo

yeah thu abu garcia 5500 would get toasted fast but the curado should hold up b very mindful about not doin the dunk in saltwater on the yak & when cleaning w/fresh water use a mister with a couple parts salt-x
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
HookFynn

Great, I sure got some bunk info. A guy who I assumed knew what he was talking about said to be sure to thoroughly (sp?) rinse my reels when I got home. You know what they say about assumptions- they will make an ass of one of us. You all can just call me donkey from now on.

Shit. Now to convince the wife I need 3 new baitcasters. How the hell am I going to pull that off???
Old 10-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
Pat

Hey Hookfin,

Just get a Sealine 30XHA and that will be versatile enough to do everything. You can get more later. Bait, iron, you name it.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
taggermike

I'll throw in another vote of confidence for the Sealine series. Abus are not notorious for handling salt water. For a small baitcaster that will hold you might want to go with the Shimano Calcutta reels. They're more expensive but they will hold up under tough use for years and years. Another reel that I have found that holds up well on the kayaks are the Newells. I have a 200, 300, and 500 series and they all just keep killing fish. I keep telling myself when my old Newells die I'll get some thing "better". Hundreds of fish later and they're all still going strong. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
HookFynn

The Abu reels have served me so well over the years that it's hard to part with them. I know they aren't top of the line but I have caught hundreds of fish with them in my lifetime. I was really suprised to see them destroyed so quickly by the saltwater- but at the same time it sounds like I had just as much to do with them getting ruined as the saltwater did. To me my 55 & 56 hundreds are like old friends and the thought of parting with them isn't easy to swallow.

Bryan

P.S. Put a bunch of new pics up in the galleries at HookFynn.com, be sure to go check them out.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:45 PM   #10
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post

.....Don't rinse them,big mistake, fresh water forces salt into reels. Just wipe down with damp cloth.....
is this accurate ?

what are other's opinion on this ????

just as HookFynn said, i have previously heard to always rinse SW reels.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!

Last edited by Hobie-Pedaller; 11-03-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookFynn View Post

....a guy said to be sure to thoroughly rinse my reels when I got home....
i have heard the same thing, and have done so to all my reels after SW fishing for years now.

i have several Abu 5500 models. and have used many of them in SW for 3-4 years now.

i do have to clean/lubricate the Abu reels every 3-4 months or so, but this keeps them working well.

HOOKFYNN- the Abu's are actually fairly easy to completely disassemble, clean, and put back together.

you might try it with one of yours.

the manuals are online at Abu Garcia website, if you want to look at them first.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:15 AM   #12
Adam

I tighten down my drags and rinse with freshwater, wipe down with a rag, and then store with the drags loose. I realize that this doesn't do much for the internal parts. I think the main thing is not to let the reel submerge in salt water at all (including puddles in the hull or on the deck). This can be especially challenging when going through surf and I often put my reels in a bag when going through medium to large surf. I have had real good luck with a Shimano Cardiff. It seems to stay pretty clean internally and is real easy to open up and clean.

Adam
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
PescadorPete

As stated above, graphite reels are nearly indestructible in this harsh environ. My Sealines are going on 5 years and still going strong.

My metal reels are also holding up (Calcutta 400, Torium 16 & 20). They are made for salt water so the anodizing hold up better than fresh water reels. I spray Corrosion-X on a rag and wipe down the reel before I go out. When I get back to the truck, I spritz them with fresh water using a spray water bottle. I never rinse or hose them down. When I get home, I wipe them dry and then wipe them down with Corrosion-X. I find that the layer of Corrosion-X really helps to keep the salt water at bay.

After a few trips, I open them up and service them if needed. And if one goes under during a trip, it has to be opened up and cleaned. Saltwater will get into the smallest places inside the reel.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #14
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
.....and then store with the drags loose.....
yes, i do this as well. i feel this is critical to extend life of drag washers, etc.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #15
HookFynn

Thanks for the advice Pedaller. Once, many many years ago, I opened up a reel to "fix it". The second I did, it exploded and a million little pieces and springs came flying out. I haven't opened one up since.

I'm going to give it a go after I find the manuals online like you suggested. Wish me luck.

-Bry
Old 11-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #16
esdees
The Good Clone

I had to clean my reels every 3-4 months, too. Then I stopped rinsing them off after trips and I haven't had to clean them since.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #17
Dan

it's best just to leave them in your truck and use them almost daily. When the drags wear out every couple of weeks, just bring them to a shop and they'll lube em when they do the drags.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #18
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookFynn View Post

Thanks for the advice Pedaller. Once, many many years ago, I opened up a reel to "fix it". The second I did, it exploded and a million little pieces and springs came flying out. I haven't opened one up since.

I'm going to give it a go after I find the manuals online like you suggested. Wish me luck.

-Bry
yes, i too have opened a few reels that had springs and parts fly everywhere. these brands are impossible to service for the average person.

BUT - the Abu's are not that bad at all.

just get a nice, clear work area (like kitchen table) to work on.

and then lay out the parts in order, as you dissassemble and clean.

then, along with the manual, it is fairly easy to reassemble every thing correctly.

after doing it a few times, i don't even need the manual anymore.

the Abu's are pretty basic.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #19
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Don't rinse them,big mistake, fresh water forces salt into reels......

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdees View Post
I had to clean my reels every 3-4 months, too. Then I stopped rinsing them off after trips and I haven't had to clean them since.
sounds like good info.

i guess i need to quit rinsing my reels.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #20
fishnstix

I have been rinsing my reels for years and have never had a problem. I tighten down the drags before rinsing, wipe down with WD-40 after they dry and loosen the drags to store. I do this after every trip. When in Baja I either rinse them off in the shower or dip them in a bucket of fresh water at the end of each day. I also take them in for a tune up once a year. For years my primary reels have been a Sealine and an Abu 6500, I also use a Trinidad 40 and the Calcutta 400 & 700 but prefer the others on the yak. I guess the juries still out...to rinse, or not to rinse.
fishnstix is offline   Reply With Quote