Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Halol
Devildoc1mardiv

Redoing my homemade bait tank

Been trying to find out how I can add a automatic timer to my bait tank. What I really want is to have it pump water then shut off and turn back on every so often or so. Any help would be appreciated. I noticed oex carrys what im looking for.i would like to spend as little as I can. What are my options.. Ty

Halol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Jim Sammons LJKF

There are other options but don't waste your time, get the good waterproof switch from OEX, it will last you a long time, rather than going cheap and having to redo it often.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
There are other options but don't waste your time, get the good waterproof switch from OEX, it will last you a long time, rather than going cheap and having to redo it often.
Well another question I have on this subject after saying that jim.
If i go with the Timing Switch is it really necessary to go with an on off toggle switch with the timer? I kind of felt like it would have been cheaper to go with just the timer and no toggle?
Due to building my own bait tank tomorrow just wondering what are my options also probably the same thing Halol is doing
Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
steveooo

If you are going to do the timer route, the one from OEX is the best on the market. There are a few other rotary timers, but none will withstand the demand that will be placed on it in the kayak environment. The one from OEX is completely enclosed in rubber, with no moving parts- so it has stood the test of time.

If you wanted to go another route, have you considered going to a 6V system? Use the same 12V pump, but only run it off a 6V battery. It will run at about 1/2 the speed, and it virtually eliminated the need for a timer. It is also very quiet (you won't hear it), and it runs all day. You can get the 6V batteries and chargers from OEX as well. For those that have switched over to a 6v system, I don't think you will find a single one that would go back to the 12V side.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
Well another question I have on this subject after saying that jim.
If i go with the Timing Switch is it really necessary to go with an on off toggle switch with the timer? I kind of felt like it would have been cheaper to go with just the timer and no toggle?
Due to building my own bait tank tomorrow just wondering what are my options also probably the same thing Halol is doing
Necessary? No. But it does add a bit of convenience so you dont have to hook up the battery when you are out on the water. Saltwater & any sort of electrical connections dont really mix well. The least you can expose to the salt, the better you will be. I have everything hooked up when I launch, and just flip the switch when I am ready for bait. Sometimes I might not want bait until i have paddled a few miles. Water in a bait tank is heavy, and you don't really want to be lugging that extra weight around if you don't need to.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Jim Sammons LJKF

I use a 12v 6ah battery and with the timer switch I can get a lot more hours and good flow.
Yes I have a toggle switch as well so I can shut the system down, other wise the timer switch starts operating as soon as you plug it into the battery.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
Halol
Devildoc1mardiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
If you are going to do the timer route, the one from OEX is the best on the market. There are a few other rotary timers, but none will withstand the demand that will be placed on it in the kayak environment. The one from OEX is completely enclosed in rubber, with no moving parts- so it has stood the test of time.

If you wanted to go another route, have you considered going to a 6V system? Use the same 12V pump, but only run it off a 6V battery. It will run at about 1/2 the speed, and it virtually eliminated the need for a timer. It is also very quiet (you won't hear it), and it runs all day. You can get the 6V batteries and chargers from OEX as well. For those that have switched over to a 6v system, I don't think you will find a single one that would go back to the 12V side.
TY for pointing that out. I will be heading to OEX this afternoon. Thanks

Old 04-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

^ question for Hal...
sorry, off topic
does your yak really stick that far out the bed of your tacoma? I have plans for one and it looks in that picture its more than half ways out. any problems with any vehicles behind you?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
Use the same 12V pump, but only run it off a 6V battery. It will run at about 1/2 the speed, and it virtually eliminated the need for a timer. It is also very quiet (you won't hear it), and it runs all day. You can get the 6V batteries and chargers from OEX as well. For those that have switched over to a 6v system, I don't think you will find a single one that would go back to the 12V side.
What size (Ah) 6v is necessary to run all day? What size pump? 320gph or 500gph?
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Deefeesha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJKDAD View Post
What size (Ah) 6v is necessary to run all day? What size pump? 320gph or 500gph?
6V 10ah-12ah, 360gph is sufficient.
Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #11
Halol
Devildoc1mardiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR6RR View Post
^ question for Hal...
sorry, off topic
does your yak really stick that far out the bed of your tacoma? I have plans for one and it looks in that picture its more than half ways out. any problems with any vehicles behind you?
My truck bed is 6 feet long. Yes half of the boat does stick out like that=(

Old 05-01-2012, 02:22 AM   #12
jorluivil

I replaced my original p.o.s battery that came with the Hobie Bait tank with the new 6v 10ah, best investment I ever made. The longest I've ran the pump is roughly 9-10hrs, when I made back to the launch it was running slow but still pumping enough water to keep the little fishies alive.

I agree with Jim's comments.....DON'T GO CHEAP!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 05-01-2012 at 07:47 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #13
speedydk

Send a message via Yahoo to speedydk
I agree with the others here, if you're kayak fishing you are going to go through some gear get good equipment and take care of it and it will keep you fishing more often than not. The timer switch they sell at OEX works awesome! I have had one in my x13 for about 4 years now. Not a single problem. Andy set it up for me in conjunction with a kayatank and I couldn't be happier. It is by far my favorite fishing yak mostly due to having my bait setup just the way I wanted it. The OEX guys are the best for customizing and customer service as well IMHO.
Darrren
speedydk is offline   Reply With Quote