Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
easyday

Possibly selling the yak soon

Im moving out of my hoise on base and into apartment's and im not sure if the garage is going to be big enough to fit a 14 1/2 foot kayak. I may just suck it up and get a storage unit. It will be a sad day if I have to see it go.:thumbdown:
Old 10-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Raskal311

I think its about a buck a day to store it at dana point jet sky.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

I believe garages are typically at minimum 10x20 to 12x20 for a single car. Having lived in a number of apartments the smallest I had was a 10x20. With the storage unit idea you could be putting from 100 to 200 a month for a 10x15. With the case that it does not fit, you can always down grade to a stealth-12 or upgrade to a hobie outback which is also around 12 feet.

Last edited by JohnnyCope; 10-12-2013 at 09:26 PM.
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
easyday

I was looking at an outback, but the loss on the cash I would take selling and buying an outback would be the issue. Also with this gov shutdown right now im not even sure ill be getting my disability pay so cash will be tight, but hopefully that wont keep me off the water.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

If you have everything set up with VA before your new EAS date you maybe looking at 2 to 3 months before payment, so expect back pay. Granted this was my case in 2008.
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #6
Drake

Disability keeps getting paid
Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #7
Sdspeed

With the seat and crate off it can ya put it in the center of the garage and stradle it with your Blazer? Garage is most likely to short at the door to lock and store it on top of your new racks on the Blazer. Long shots but worth thinking about.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Disability keeps getting paid
I looked at the va website and my buddy got a call that basically said as far as I understand that after the 17th the va will be out of money. And on the 27th most of the va will be shut down except for healthcare because those funds are allocated a month in advance. I already know that I will not be receiving advance travel pay for my move and seperation, and I will not be receiving any money for my leave days im selling back until who knows when. I felt compelled to write my congressman about how this shutdown is affecting military members around the globe and got a automated e mail that says he cant respond due to the shutdown.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
easyday

Straight off of the va website

Claims processing and payments in the compensation,pension, education,andvocational rehabilitation programs are anticipated to continue through late October . However,in the event of a prolonged shutdown,claims processing and payments in these programs would be suspended when available funding is exhausted.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
Jimmyz123

Don't Sell

Trust me, I have sold my Kayaks for many reasons from finances to upgrading, and those times when I didn't have a kayak to get out on were very painful. Logging on and reading post of people catching fish drives you nuts man. Find a buddy, or place that will allow you to store the Kayak, it will do a lot toward keeping your sanity in tact. Trust me, I know. Now that I finally have the Kayak I've been wanting, I won't be selling it.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
Sdspeed

garage near oceanside harbor.

If your staying in the Oceanside area here's a garage avaiable on a month to month. Maybe there is another BWE member who'd split the cost to give themselves more room at home. At least it's month to month so you don't have to give the yak away in a panic. Just a thought.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/prk/4118178323.html
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #12
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

free storage

I always have room in my garage for fellow Jarhead. you can store for free and I will give you a key PM me if you need it.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Hoist?
CameraZOOM-20131013083851266.jpg
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Thats what I was thinking.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
CKallday71

If you don't mind the drive to riverside you can store it in my garage for free brother.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
echo1er

You could leave on base at my house I live by snco
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
flemdogg
Island Blood

I got out of the corps back in may. Did 4 pumps to both iraq/afghan plus got medevaced on the last one. Still waiting on my disability to take affect. There was a bill passed a few years back that funds the VA one year in advance. Problem is there is no rule book on how to distribute those funds amongst the va departments. Im a full time student now and recieved my gi bill for this past month, called the va center on campus and asked about next month due to the shutdown. Counselors say they dont know if va edu checks will be cut. Point is. There is none, it is a shitty situation for guys like us. As for the kayak, do whatever you can to keep it man, but if it comes down to it, do what you have to do. Definately love seeing all the offers to hold it for you. Have a good sunday erryyyybody

Last edited by flemdogg; 10-13-2013 at 02:43 PM.
flemdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
DanaPT

This gov't shut down is an embarrassing portrayal as to how we treat those who have given/sacrificed the most for our country. Our lawmakers ought to be ashamed each time their direct deposit hit's their account.

Despite what's going on... We still live in the best country on the planet.

We should all begin to apply pressure to our representatives and demand they get this worked out.

Easy I can house your yak at my place for a while. At least it would be on your way to/from the DP launch.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

The government shutdown truly is embarrassing. Really hoping you don't have to give up the yak man!
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
rieffer

Hey Josh, If you need a place in O.C. let me know! You can't beat the price for a fellow jarhead! S.F.
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote