Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
steveoh

Happy Valentine's to me!!!

Hey guys,

I was going to treat myself to a new fishfinder and I wanted know everyone's thought on the Lowrance hds 5. I'm trying to figure out if I want the combo nav/fishfinder or if I should go with the hds 5x which is just the fishfinder. If anyone has first had experience with this model, your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone has any other models worth looking into.

Thank you in advance!

Steve
steveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
old_rookie

Can't provide any feedback on the FF - but what confuses me is this thing about Valentines Day.... I thought this was about kayak fishing?!?!?

Welcome to the site.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Handymansd
Ancient Member

For Saltwater the HDS 5 is pretty hard to beat. Compact, good resolution, Downscan, and HD. The comparable models would be the Garmin 546s, or maybe the Raymarine a50d. I have used all of these models on boats and I have to admit that the Garmin has the best waterproof and map abilities with the G2 vision card. But even though the maps are not quite a pretty the HDS 5 is geared more towards a serious sonar for the serious fisherman. The cheapest cost on any of these Combo units is $799+! So be sure this is where you really want to dump your hard earned moolah!

P.S. My Valentine's Day gift from my wife was a new HDS -5... A great way for her to dump her hard earned Moolah!
It has not improved my fishing any but... if I can just get it to find Lobsters!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
bubblehide

IMHO gps can be exceptionally important. It has many more fishing uses than just keeping you from being lost. You can use it to mark spots, including where you catch fish at, plot drifts.... and then be able to go back and fish prime spots. Many of the new units also have a playback feature for both the gps and the FF, so you can see where you've been, what you did... and better plan future return trips, setting up on spots, drifts... Like the ff, gps is another tool in being able to catch fish; just learn how to use it so your able to make the most of it.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
steveoh

Old Rookie...because it was Valentine's Day yesterday, I decided to treat myself to a new toy...thus 'Happy Valentines Day to me' reference. I will try and keep 'Non' fishing references out of my future post...

To everyone else, thank you for your opinion on the HDS 5. I have one other question...when I'm comparing the HDS 5 to the Elite 5 DSI, is the only difference between the 2 models the graphics for the gps? From what I'm reading on Lowrance's website, the sonar seems to be the same but the gps graphics are better on the HDS....am I missing something???

Thanks again,

Steve
Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoh View Post
Old Rookie...because it was Valentine's Day yesterday, I decided to treat myself to a new toy...thus 'Happy Valentines Day to me' reference. I will try and keep 'Non' fishing references out of my future post...

To everyone else, thank you for your opinion on the HDS 5. I have one other question...when I'm comparing the HDS 5 to the Elite 5 DSI, is the only difference between the 2 models the graphics for the gps? From what I'm reading on Lowrance's website, the sonar seems to be the same but the gps graphics are better on the HDS....am I missing something???

Thanks again,

Steve
No problem Steve - just trying to poke some fun at the day - but it didn't work. I've posted non fishing stuff here - had plumbing issues at the house (still do).

Glad you and others are out field testing fish finders and reporting back.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
steveoh

Handymansd, did you get your HDS with the 50/200 or the 83/200? I'm not sure which one I should get...I am planning on doing more LJ fishing, but primarily go offshore in Newport and HB and fish anywhere from 10' to 150'. Also, is this unit worth the moolah?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Handymansd
Ancient Member

There is another Sonar thread on this site that answers a lot of your questions. The HDS is a bit pricey, but I need every break I can get! I got the HDS-5 140-20 (has the 50/200 transducer and nautical insight). They advertise that it can hold bottom signal at 5000'. So most of what we fish will be just fine with a 50khtz signal. The down-scan is suppossed to be around 800khtz
West Marine has it at $799 but they will price match any US based competitors advertised price. the best ads I found for the 140-20 were around $700ish. As others have stated I have returned many items to them for a no questions asked return policy with their extended warranty. It is worth every penny of its $98 for two years.
Although the units look the same on paper, the HDS is reported by many Professional Anglers to work very well in salt water, and the Elite not so well. but there are many people that have them and say that they do just fine...
Bottom line... read, research, and then go with what you are most comfortable. How you and your sounder/gps work together is the bottom line.
Besides when you have more money to throw away there is always the LSS1 "structure scan" that can be added...

P.S. Fishing equipment is NEVER worth the money... call it a contribution to your mental health!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
steveoh

Handymansd, how is your transducer mounted? Is it shooting through hull? Thanks for your input lol... and I have read the other thread on this topic too....from what I've read, the HDS sounds like a good choice...although I could add to my surfboard quiver for this price..lol
Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I am old school about mounting these... no wet mounts, no special gimmicks.... just plain marine goop! Very careful to mount level with bottom of yak and with very little goop and bubbles between ducer and hull. Carefully squeeze them out, the goop that leaks out and up the sides of the transducer a bit does most of the adhesion. I have been busy and have not mounted mine yet, but I will mount it behind the mast. I have had good luck with this method in the past. I know some will say I am doing it wrong... but so far it does the trick for me.

After spending the $ on this I will probably not be removing it any time soon.