Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Anti-Hobie sentiment?

On another board, it seems there is a bias against Hobies. Why is that?

Is it the lack of storage? Stigma that Hobies aren't true "kayaks"? I can't figure it out.

All I know is that Hobie took real good care of me. I'm a customer for life after they hooked me up.
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
semiwrecker

they probably cant afford one?
semiwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
GunWall Flint
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiwrecker View Post
they probably cant afford one?
Lol. thats a harsh statement

P.s i love my hobie
GunWall Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Two words. Peddle Envy.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
Gino

they dont make a big mans kayak OR else Id buy one!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
Dan

i'm saving for one of these:

"shotgun!"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Pro Angler?????
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
danny
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
This is a good kayak for a 300lbs fisherman it has the pedal drive and something the hobie lacks (reverse ) it is a A much better kayak. You have to want to flip this thing.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/mari..._propel_lg.cfm
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
Jimmyz123

Not everyone likes Hobies, me personally I'm sure they have their pluses and minuses, but I personally like the Ocean Kayaks, and Malibu kayaks. Not sure why people have such and dislike for them, they are pretty cool, just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 05-15-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
Dan

seriously......have not heard one person who switched from paddle to peddle ever complain about it. I'd try one.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limits View Post
Stigma that Hobies aren't true "kayaks"?

Winner Winner!
They aren't true "kayaks"- They are peddle powered whatevers.

But, they work great, are super efficient, and as you mentioned they have great customer service. I started with a Hobie due to a shoulder injury and have been sold since then. I do have a spot in my heart for paddleing though. The simplicity of grabbing a seat, a paddle and a rod seems rad to me, althouhg I don't know too many paddlers that would do that either....
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limits View Post
On another board, it seems there is a bias against Hobies. Why is that?
Which board? Who said what? I always love these somebody said something posts.

The gripes I have heard about Hobies is they do not paddle well or stay straight when paddling them in the surf.

I think they have brilliant drives but that drives ability has let Hobie get away with making essentially low performance hulls.

You can tell just by looking at them they are inefficient and would paddle poorly. In fact if you own a hobie and want to see what I'm talking about, I suggest you leave your drive at home one day and just paddle all day and you'll quickly see why some do not like them.

To me it all makes no sense. Hobie could easily put their drives in better hulls and they would be even faster then they are, even better kayaks.

I considered buying one but after checking them out I just bought a drive and I'm going to mount it in better more efficient kayak that will paddle and peddle well.

Just my take..

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 05-20-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Jim, we all know that you are a craftsman and an innovator. I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing whatever you end up mounting your Mirage drive into. I just hope that it is not made of metal.

I love my Revo but what you say is true. The design could be improved but why should Hobie do it if they are selling all they can make. Hobies are kind of like iPhones. The product works well and they have earned a semi-cult following. Baby-steps in improvements are often touted as revolutionary events. You pay a premium price for the unique features offered in iPhones and Hobie kayaks.

As mentioned by someone earlier in this thread, it appears that some of us who are fortunate enough to have a Hobie may have taken on a bit of arrogance, even snobbishness. I hope that is not the case but it certainly could be true. If so, I am sure that it is unintentional.

Maybe if you come up with a game changing design, someone will take notice and run with it. If that happens, we would all win.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #14
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post

You can tell just by looking at them they are inefficient and would paddle poorly. In fact if you own a hobie and want to see what I'm talking about, I suggest you leave your drive at home one day and just paddle all day and you'll quickly see why some do not like them.
I have a Hobie Adventure. I do take it out sans mirage drive sometimes. It paddles and tracks a million times better than my old eXtreme, or the old ok scrambler I used to rent. Its like a 16 ft dagger. It isn't going to be as efficient as a tarpon 160, but relatively speaking, it paddles better than some other "traditional" kayaks on the market. I also used to have an outback. Exactly like paddling an giant egg...

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
I have a Hobie Adventure. I do take it out sans mirage drive sometimes. It paddles and tracks a million times better than my old eXtreme, or the old ok scrambler I used to rent. Its like a 16 ft dagger. It isn't going to be as efficient as a tarpon 160, but relatively speaking, it paddles better than some other "traditional" kayaks on the market. I also used to have an outback. Exactly like paddling an giant egg...

I forgot about this thread. I'll tell ya Steveooo "Exactly like paddling an giant egg..." part just cracks me up every time I see it.

Too Funny!!!

Jim
Old 12-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
I forgot about this thread. I'll tell ya Steveooo "Exactly like paddling an giant egg..." part just cracks me up every time I see it.

Too Funny!!!

Jim
oldtimers disease really sucks. its not cool that "they" labeled you a "Senior Member" either..

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
oldtimers disease really sucks. its not cool that "they" labeled you a "Senior Member" either..
Growing older sure beats the alternative, and actually I'm kind of "Young for my age" As to "Senior Member" I see it as kind of complimentary like "Biggus Dickus"

Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #18
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Quote:
Which board? Who said what? I always love these somebody said something posts.

The gripes I have heard about Hobies is they do not paddle well or stay straight when paddling them in the surf.

I think they have brilliant drives but that drives ability has let Hobie get away with making essentially low performance hulls.

To me it all makes no sense. Hobie could easily put their drives in better hulls and they would be even faster then they are, even better kayaks.

I considered buying one but after checking them out I just bought a drive and I'm going to mount it in better more efficient kayak that will paddle and peddle well.

Just my take..

Jim
I didn't mention the site's name out of respect for them and the site mods/owners. I'm a mod on another site and we have a strict 'no bashing' other sites policy so we refrain from specifically mentioning them when there are criticisms.

However since you asked, PM sent.
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote