Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
BigLouSD
Junior

North San Diego Bay 12/16/17

Launched late, around 10am from Kellogg beach. Zig zagged the north bay and then followed Zuniga jetty till the second to the last tower. The wind was howling and the tide was ripping. Didn’t make it out to the point as I was going by myself and I didn’t quite feel comfortable. All I was able to catch were three greenbacks trolling an X-Rap. Plastics were not hooking up on anything for me... on the way back I noticed the kelp growing on the rock piles off of North Island in about 10 to 20 feet of water. Thought I’d drop a Berkeley Gulp Alive swimming mullet and pulled out my first Sculpin in 12 feet of water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigLouSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
Ggiannig89

Sounds like a fun trip. I love catching those fish.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
Scoot
Scoot

Nice skull on the plastic!
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
Richardh30
Junior

That’s awesome! I went out of kellog beach for the first time today. Hooked up on a really nice halibut along Zuniga but it got loose before I could get it in the kayak. Never caught a sculpin! Nice work!

Let me know if you want to paddle out at some point. I typically go solo, and I’m the same way, don’t want to get too far out with no one else around.

Best!
Richardh30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
BigLouSD
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardh30 View Post
That’s awesome! I went out of kellog beach for the first time today. Hooked up on a really nice halibut along Zuniga but it got loose before I could get it in the kayak. Never caught a sculpin! Nice work!

Let me know if you want to paddle out at some point. I typically go solo, and I’m the same way, don’t want to get too far out with no one else around.

Best!
Thanks. Yeah it can really start moving out there with the sudden shifts in depth, current and wind. Too bad about the halibut. I’ll try to pm you next time I go out! Good luck out there and be safe!
BigLouSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #6
Pelican Prowler
Junior

Sweet, I was out there yesterday too, launched from Kellogg as well. I went out past the point to look for the kelp but I guess you can't see it this time of year, unless I missed it. Thought it was going to be a bad day but ended up getting 3 calicos, 5 good size Mack's, 2 yellow fin croaker, and a rockfish. I love fishing out there, can't wait to go back, but I want to launch from OB, I hear it's closer. Let me know if you wanna go sometime
Pelican Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #7
Richardh30
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican Prowler View Post
Sweet, I was out there yesterday too, launched from Kellogg as well. I went out past the point to look for the kelp but I guess you can't see it this time of year, unless I missed it. Thought it was going to be a bad day but ended up getting 3 calicos, 5 good size Mack's, 2 yellow fin croaker, and a rockfish. I love fishing out there, can't wait to go back, but I want to launch from OB, I hear it's closer. Let me know if you wanna go sometime
I’ve also heard launching from OB can be a better option, but you have to watch the surf report. It can be calm when you launch, but have some pretty good sets when you return.

Let me know and I’ll gladly paddle out with you.
Richardh30 is offline   Reply With Quote