Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Fish Finder Selection

I am in the market for a new fish finder/gps. I have been looking around the internet and previous threads on this site. But I am still having a hard time pulling the trigger on a unit. Wanted to get the opinion of the board to help me make my mind up. I don't have any on water experience with the units I am looking at myself. But I know a few people that have the lowrance units and have seen them in action. But don't know anyone with the raymarine unit. So here we go

3. Lowrance elite 7 hdi - this is in last place right now. If I were to go with this unit it would be with 50/200 setup. From everything I have read the 50/200+445/800 doesn't fit in PA. Thought of just getting a separate 50/200 without DS. But that defeats the purpose of the unit. Has anyone got the transducer to fit and how is it performing?

2. Dragonfly 7 - Review and data on this unit is impressive. I only know one person who has seen the 5 unit. They did not give it a great review. Does anyone have the 7 or seen it in action. I like this chirp over the lowrance chirp. This is auto adjusting. The lowrance you have to pick chirp frequency and then adjust. I feel like I would be constantly adjusting between chirp signals and sensitivity

1. HDS7 Touch - A little more expensive then the other units. But when approaching the $1K mark it is not that big of a jump. This comes with standard 50/200. I know people and have seen this unit in action. It is impressive in all aspects. But even though it's not a big jump up in cost. It's still a jump.

So if I could get the monster transducer in PA. I would go with number one option. If not I am torn between 2&3. Slightly leaning toward option 3 (HDS).

What would you do?

Last edited by Bert Vega; 11-10-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Look at the power usage on the 7's they take more juice to fish all day. Some guys need a larger battery or carry a spare to fish all day.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Raymarine

I've got 61 yr old eyes covered in prescription glasses and I couldn't be more impressed with the dragonfly 5. Simple and fast use! All you have to know is how to turn it on!! Lol on the other hand, if spending a half hour looking down at your FF is your thing, then you can customize any and all of the setting. I think the best thing about the DF5(or 7 if you're a big spender)is the picture is perfect in 4' of water or 100' of water. I've had several lowrance products and really shallow water has always been a problem. You need two transducers with the lowrance stuff one for shallow and one for deep.i love the way the transducer fits in the hobie, once again simple.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Siebler

I dont know of anybody who hasnt loved their Dragonfly unit. Lots of them locally now that folks have picked up form OEX and other sources. Lots of friends across the country making the change to them from Lowrance as well including a vast majority of the guys on the Wilderness Systems team (including all 4 of us that are team managers) despite the strong relationship between Wildy and Lowrance.

I used the Dragonfly 5 for about a year and just went to an A98 unit however plan on picking up a 7 soon for friends/wife to use. the units are just so easy to read and to operate it is ridiculous.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugg View Post
I've got 61 yr old eyes covered in prescription glasses and I couldn't be more impressed with the dragonfly 5. Simple and fast use! All you have to know is how to turn it on!! Lol on the other hand, if spending a half hour looking down at your FF is your thing, then you can customize any and all of the setting. I think the best thing about the DF5(or 7 if you're a big spender)is the picture is perfect in 4' of water or 100' of water. I've had several lowrance products and really shallow water has always been a problem. You need two transducers with the lowrance stuff one for shallow and one for deep.i love the way the transducer fits in the hobie, once again simple.
How well does your unit read over a 100' of water. I plan on fishing up to 300' or more and want to be able to track bottom.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
I dont know of anybody who hasnt loved their Dragonfly unit. Lots of them locally now that folks have picked up form OEX and other sources. Lots of friends across the country making the change to them from Lowrance as well including a vast majority of the guys on the Wilderness Systems team (including all 4 of us that are team managers) despite the strong relationship between Wildy and Lowrance.

I used the Dragonfly 5 for about a year and just went to an A98 unit however plan on picking up a 7 soon for friends/wife to use. the units are just so easy to read and to operate it is ridiculous.
I only know one person who has seen the 5 on the water. He stated they had a issue tracking bottom at 100' or so. It just didn't paint the same as HDS is what I was told. Again I has not seen one on the water myself. All video I have seen makes it look pretty sweet.

It is a good chunk of change for any of these units. Want to spend my cash the best way possible since I wont be getting another unit for a LONG time.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
Siebler

Ive had no issues in deep water at all. Could have been an install issue?

It meters rockfish like a champ. Just remember than Down Imaging on any of those units really isnt meant for deep water. The Broadband sonar will give you awesome clarity to identify everything though,

Old 11-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Ive had no issues in deep water at all. Could have been an install issue?

It meters rockfish like a champ. Just remember than Down Imaging on any of those units really isnt meant for deep water. The Broadband sonar will give you awesome clarity to identify everything though,

All I want is a clear broadband reading. The down scan is something I don't plan on using to much. I thank you for your input
Old 11-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
All I want is a clear broadband reading. The down scan is something I don't plan on using to much. I thank you for your input

Once you use it you will be hooked I promise! It is pretty awesome to split the screen with these over eachother I must say.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
kayakfisherman

Bert,

It seems that a touch screen might not be the best
idea for kayak fishing since you would be leaving
salt water stains on you screen constantly.

Full Rac just got a touch screen. Wonder what his thoughts are?
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
Bert,

It seems that a touch screen might not be the best
idea for kayak fishing since you would be leaving
salt water stains on you screen constantly.

Full Rac just got a touch screen. Wonder what his thoughts are?

Good.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
YakDout
Brandon

To answer the question about the HDI 50/200 455/800 transducer: it will fit with a 30 second fix. The reason it doesn't fit is because the mounting bracket protrudes too high and hits on plastic without being able to close the lowrance ready "door"

When I bought my elite 5 HDI all I did was cut a couple of inches off the mounting bracket with a Sawzall. Did not change picture on screen one bit.

It is a great unit but I'm sure the HDS is as well
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

If you like to be able to adjust every setting to dial in your FF to your liking then the Lowrance is the way to go. If you just want to turn on your FF and go fishing then the DF is the way to go.

Also if you mount your FF near your feet then you may want a 7", but if it's closer then a 5" is probably sufficient.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:12 AM   #14
TJones

Any pics ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
To answer the question about the HDI 50/200 455/800 transducer: it will fit with a 30 second fix. The reason it doesn't fit is because the mounting bracket protrudes too high and hits on plastic without being able to close the lowrance ready "door"

When I bought my elite 5 HDI all I did was cut a couple of inches off the mounting bracket with a Sawzall. Did not change picture on screen one bit.

It is a great unit but I'm sure the HDS is as well
What prevents it from wiggling around ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:28 AM   #15
YakDout
Brandon

You take just enough off so it fits snug with the bottom plate on.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #16
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Thanks guys I made my mind up.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #17
octico

So what did you end up going with?

I have the DragonFly and I love it. It meters deep water very well. I usually fish near 200 feet and it looks amazing on the broadband.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
tacmik

Quote:
Once you use it you will be hooked I promise! It is pretty awesome to split the screen with these over eachother I must say.
What he said
Old 11-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #19
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I went with the hds 7. Thank you all for the input.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #20
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
I have the DragonFly and I love it. It meters deep water very well. I usually fish near 200 feet and it looks amazing on the broadband.
We got to hit the canyon together one of these days. I'd like to see the dragonfly in action.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk