Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
captnblood34

EPIC YEAR OF FISHING

...Not so much for me. I have 2 legal butts, limited out lobster diving one day (on o2) and skunked the 4 other times I went out (FD). Brought home 2-3 sculpin half a dozen times. And that's about it. I'm fishing for food vs. a 20-30 fish spottie day. Targeted SI 90% of the time. What give? Anyone else feel the "Epic Year" feels like a slow one?

My first year fishing from the yak was great! Hooked into my first YT at LJ coming in at 28#'s ,and caught a variety of fish. I do admit I haven't fished LJ much but when I did it sucked, other than the serene environment.

Oh and my motorcycle was stolen out of my driveway off Otay Lakes Rd. Red and white 2007 GSXR 600, BOLO!
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
TJones

that stinks

that someone would grab your bike . i wonder what kinda a person would do such a thing? i just sold my k8 gsxr 1000 . i rode many gsxrs , but that thing was a beast . only bike i ever kept stock .speedo would say 88- 90 mph when i popped into second gear . i only redlined once or twice . back in the day , i would pin the throttle all the time . riding those things here in LA is to crazy . there is nothing like the freedom of riding a motorcycle , but they can also be very painful , if not deadly . count your blessings. maybe it was an act of the Lord . i did manage to take a couple of trips camping near your place . a 1000 trails campsite . i brought the kayaks with me . it was so peaceful , i never left the campsite on one trip . as far as the fishing goes , these last two years have been great for me . seabass last year and yellows this year . there is still time to nail some last victims , and always time to nail a home guard . tight lines .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
danjor

This year also was not the greatest for me either. But than again I only got out fishing 4 times. 3 on the colorado river during a Vegas trip and once on a 3/4 out of Dana. For a guy who has been fishing 60+ trips a year for the last 6 years, (ever since I could drive) this year has sucked. Better luck next year
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

This year has been one of epic proportions for me. From yak or charter, I couldn't lose. Im so happy with my saltwater year, I've switched to trout!!

I'm trying to figure out why you target SI 90% of the time. If that's the case, LJ isn't too far at all.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
This year has been one of epic proportions for me. From yak or charter, I couldn't lose. Im so happy with my saltwater year, I've switched to trout!!

I'm trying to figure out why you target SI 90% of the time. If that's the case, LJ isn't too far at all.
Where you fishing for trout?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
chris138
donkey roper

La jolla has been very good this year, but I wouldn't say epic. Back in 2010/2011 when the squid was in full swing, now that was insane.

What stands out most about this year was the offshore bite. I can't remember ever seeing so many 100#+ bluefin and marlin caught in SD waters. There are captains down at the docks who released 10+ marlin in a day. Not to mention the wahoo, and a YFT bite that was wide open for 3 or 4 months. Definately on par with '98 El Niño. Remember this one boys!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Epic BAJA

2014 was a very good year!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
La jolla has been very good this year, but I wouldn't say epic. Back in 2010/2011 when the squid was in full swing, now that was insane.

What stands out most about this year was the offshore bite. I can't remember ever seeing so many 100#+ bluefin and marlin caught in SD waters. There are captains down at the docks who released 10+ marlin in a day. Not to mention the wahoo, and a YFT bite that was wide open for 3 or 4 months. Definately on par with '98 El Niño. Remember this one boys!
+1 I totally remember 98. We were catching tons of Albacore out of San Diego back then.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post

I wouldn't say on PAR....but...

This season far exceeds any other season (Local Offshore)...possibly ever...!!! When's the last time you remember local wahoo being caught...? I sure as hell don't...talking to some of the old timers...they don't remember it either.

Still can't believe the barracuda didn't make a strong showing this year....??? What's up with that?!

I'm think'n this might be the winter the big ass squids might show up...I wouldn't mind screw'n around with those for awhile....
Old 11-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #10
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post

This season far exceeds any other season (Local Offshore)...possibly ever...!!! When's the last time you remember local wahoo being caught...? I sure as hell don't...talking to some of the old timers...they don't remember it either.

Still can't believe the barracuda didn't make a strong showing this year....??? What's up with that?!

I'm think'n this might be the winter the big ass squids might show up...I wouldn't mind screw'n around with those for awhile....
I hope the squids come back, there so tasty
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:

In '98 I had a trip where we caught YF, BF, Bigeye, albacore, dorado and a marlin. At the 302! In terms of the 'hoo and marlin this year was better for sure. But the tuna bite wasnt quite as diverse this season.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I have had a great year! This being my first year kayak fishing. So glad I got into this at the beginning of the year. I have learned so much in this short time. Looking forward to the rest of this year and next.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
Zed
BANNED

The yft really hung out in the bight and bit tbis year. Those fish are usually all show and rarely go up inside Cat but this year they bit all over. So many wfo solo stops from oside to cat to the rigs off LongBeach. The wahoo was unprecedented. There was a week or so there where 1 or 2 hoo were getting weighed a day at oside and dana.

12/28/97 rossman and I were about 2 miles off Diablo Canyon watching 50# albacore cartwheel out of the water. I dont know what was going on at the local banks off oc that year I was living in SD but it was good S.

I expected a lot of schoolie rat yt along the kelp this summer but that never really happened. They stayed offshore. There was a good bite on bigger yt from LJ to Malibu this year and I picked up a couple new local PBs from surprising places. Nice big fish.

Now its just a fading memory w water at 66 and dropping.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
I have had a great year! This being my first year kayak fishing. So glad I got into this at the beginning of the year. I have learned so much in this short time. Looking forward to the rest of this year and next.

You Vega's are all the same!!!!

Hell of a year for you Bert!
Old 11-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #15
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
You Vega's are all the same!!!!

Hell of a year for you Bert!

Thanks Tony. Means allot coming from you and the crew
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #16
captnblood34

I fished SI for the flattys, always brought home a few
Sculpin too. LJ is fun just requires a little more prep and
Time which I don't always have. Anyone want to target some halibut I'm down this weekend. Bug diving Sunday too if anyone wants to get in, swell should be chill and not too much serge. Tight lines guys.

J
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #17
fishing md

XXXXXXX2222222 THIS YEAR WAS BAD ASS ...GOT MY FIST TUNA ON THE FLY

fishing md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #18
Caden
Homeless will fish 4 food

This year was a good year

This year was good year for me, catch some butts and 1st YT thanks to Tony. And I just catch me a 6.9# son
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote