Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Catalina Camp n Fish?

I'm trying to plan a weekend trip out there. So far I've gathered that if I want to bring my yak, the Marina Del Rey flyer is the only way to do it.

-What camp areas are nearest to some good fishing? (less paddling is more in my book) I'd like to target YT and WSB since I'd have a shot being there but if not I love bass fishing some structure would be a blast as a back up.

-Easier to rent a yak or bring mine? I'd want to use my own gear..

If anyone who has done it or thought about please chime in. I am sure there are other things I need to consider, but am clueless as to what.

It seems like a super fun getaway, and I've never been to Catalina so I'd be stoked just being there camping and hanging out. I want to keep costs low as possible.

Thanks
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
wbrewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtp View Post
I'm trying to plan a weekend trip out there. So far I've gathered that if I want to bring my yak, the Marina Del Rey flyer is the only way to do it.

-What camp areas are nearest to some good fishing? (less paddling is more in my book) I'd like to target YT and WSB since I'd have a shot being there but if not I love bass fishing some structure would be a blast as a back up.

-Easier to rent a yak or bring mine? I'd want to use my own gear..

If anyone who has done it or thought about please chime in. I am sure there are other things I need to consider, but am clueless as to what.

It seems like a super fun getaway, and I've never been to Catalina so I'd be stoked just being there camping and hanging out. I want to keep costs low as possible.

Thanks
Search camping Catalina. It depends on how long you plan to be on the Island. There are camps that you paddel to and ones you rent a campsight. I usually go with a group to split costs. Check with Iceman ( Andy to see if he has a trip going this year).
wbrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
GregAndrew

MDR Flyer is out of business, and don't see any others picking up the slack as far as yak trasport.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Darn. Maybe I'd have to rent a yak or hopefully find another transport vessel.

I found this post which has some good info...
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...light=Catalina

Was checking to see if anybody has done a weekend trip with recent intel on camping and logistics.
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote