Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
pbb

LJ tomorrow (Sat 10/25)?

Who wants to convince me I should spend my limited fishing time this weekend at LJ on Saturday, rather than take a 3/4 day cattle boat trip to the Coronados on Sunday (and use my annual Mexican license a bit)?

If anyone who knows what they are doing wouldn't mind me tagging along, I would be tempted to go to LJ.

I find the learning curve is steep if I go out and pretend like I know what I'm doing. Yes, with the bonito, I can at least avoid getting skunked. I've had some decent days where I've brought home some legal calicos and rockfish, and even hooked up with what was most likely a YT (before my knot broke -I've switched to the palomar knot).

Anyone who knows what they are doing willing to provide some mentorship?

I'm not dead set on catching a YT or nothing at all. If you are an ace with the rockfish and willing to share some expertise, I'm game. Same with the Calicos. And it goes without saying that I'd be thrilled to learn the tricks of the WSB or Halibut trade...

Anyone game?
Old 10-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

I know a 3/4 day is more expensive, but the way it has been it's also basically a guarantee. I say hop on the San Diego.. Same grade of fish, less of a learning curve
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smthtnnr View Post
I know a 3/4 day is more expensive, but the way it has been it's also basically a guarantee. I say hop on the San Diego.. Same grade of fish, less of a learning curve

i dunno about that, my Dad just dragged me down to the rock pile and there weren't many yellows....small and on the bottom. flylines were getting pummeled by bonito and the seals are out of control.

don't waste your money and fish la jolla. who wants to sit on a 6 hour boat ride to catch smaller fish than at home?!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
pbb

HMMM. We are split 50-50.

The problem with your hypothesis Dannowar, ("to catch smaller fish than at home"), is the assumption that I am catching yellowtail at "home."

I haven't been, which is why, unless I can get some on the water tips this weekend, I was thinking it would be better to get on the cattle boat.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

It takes time and patience, to be able to catch what you want. Make friends, start a network or join one, fish every chance you get. If you don't have time to make friends or start or join a network...then BUY in! Call Captain Wade he'll get you on somethin'!

Now as far as a 3/4 day guarantee....nothing is guaranteed....! But...if you have to catch one now...it might be your best bet. Honestly I rather catch one yellowtail on my kayak then multiple yellows on a sportboat.

I say get your ass down to La Jolla and keep try'n, because it'll come!! Just ask easyday Josh! He earned that one! Hopefully you'll earn yours too.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
f'nsabiki

If you're not already signed up for a 3/4 day I doubt you will find any openings.
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
pbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by f'nsabiki View Post
If you're not already signed up for a 3/4 day I doubt you will find any openings.
The San Diego has 8 openings for tomorrow, and both San Diego and Mahilini have open spots on Sunday.

But my stubbornness is kicking in. I'm leaning toward bringing the yak out to LJ.

Ful-Rac, thanks for your encouragement. My post was only partly asking advice about whether to sign on to a 3/4 day. It was ALSO meant as an effort to find someone to fish with that I might learn something from.

SO, who wants to fish LJ tomorrow?
Old 10-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Crazy Cajun
Junior

Fish tomorrow, wind should be up on Sunday. And if the wind stays down on Sunday, fish Sunday as well.
Crazy Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
pbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Cajun View Post
Fish tomorrow, wind should be up on Sunday. And if the wind stays down on Sunday, fish Sunday as well.
I'm planning to Fish LJ Saturday now. I was considering Sunday if I went the 3/4 day cattle boat route, but it didn't look like it would be so nice Sunday at LJ, last I checked.

I've got a wife and two kids, which has certain benefits, but fishing both days isn't really an option.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
LBKayakDude

The malihini caught limits of yellowtail yesterday and the day before, just sayin...
LBKayakDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

I vote La Jolla.

If the boat only has a single-digit of free spots, that means you will spend a lot of time dealing with crossed lines and other people on the boat. Your actual time with "lines in the water" will not be what you expect.

Some friends and I once took a full-day trip out to Catalina, and our time with "lines in the water" was only a few hours because we spent a lot of time getting over there, moving around to find the fish, then moving again to follow the fish, then a lot of time coming back. We got some fish, but I will probably never do that again unless the ticket price comes waaay down. Such a waste of money IMO.

Just think of how much gear/bait your ticket could buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbb View Post
The San Diego has 8 openings for tomorrow, and both San Diego and Mahilini have open spots on Sunday.

But my stubbornness is kicking in. I'm leaning toward bringing the yak out to LJ.

Ful-Rac, thanks for your encouragement. My post was only partly asking advice about whether to sign on to a 3/4 day. It was ALSO meant as an effort to find someone to fish with that I might learn something from.

SO, who wants to fish LJ tomorrow?
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #12
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
It takes time and patience,

Honestly I rather catch one yellowtail on my kayak then multiple yellows on a sportboat.

I say get your ass down to La Jolla and keep try'n
THIS!
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
pbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
I vote La Jolla.

If the boat only has a single-digit of free spots, that means you will spend a lot of time dealing with crossed lines and other people on the boat. Your actual time with "lines in the water" will not be what you expect.

Some friends and I once took a full-day trip out to Catalina, and our time with "lines in the water" was only a few hours because we spent a lot of time getting over there, moving around to find the fish, then moving again to follow the fish, then a lot of time coming back. We got some fish, but I will probably never do that again unless the ticket price comes waaay down. Such a waste of money IMO.

Just think of how much gear/bait your ticket could buy!
Good points. My resolve was being weakened by a report that 51 anglers on the San Diego had 100 YT in the 10-25 range aboard as of 1pm, but I'll stay the course.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #14
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbb View Post
Good points. My resolve was being weakened by a report that 51 anglers on the San Diego had 100 YT in the 10-25 range aboard as of 1pm, but I'll stay the course.
Hah. Good one. For a minute it sounded like you actually believe those fish reports.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #15
FISH11

Talking

La Jolla Dude! Last Saturday I was out there fishing for Yellows just a little further than the cattle boat came into. Some of then almost parked right next to some of the other kayaker. While fishing there and of course drinking beer, it was funny to look at the cattle boat and see like 75 people shoulder to shoulder while trying to fish and hope for what the kayakers where catching. They have no roon to cast and the reports had about 1/3 of the total spots caught anything worth writing about. Just think beautifull suroundings, drinking beer (you bought a lot cheaper) and being able to relax with all the elbow space you need. It's a no brainer! I know I'm going to be there Saturday.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #16
Kaleb

im down to go

It would only be my second time out. Who all is going?
Kaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #17
pbb

I'll be out there. Olive Hobie Revolution 13, with the remnants of a former owner's "WWW.UNIGOOP.COM" stickers on the bow.

I'm launching from Casa 6:30-ish, with a buddy who will be spearfishing from his blue Cobra.

Feel free to say hi (or give me any advice) if we cross paths on the water.

Peter
Old 10-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Now as far as a 3/4 day guarantee....nothing is guaranteed....! But...if you have to catch one now...it might be your best bet. Honestly I rather catch one yellowtail on my kayak then multiple yellows on a sportboat.[/QUOTE]

Preach kind sir!!!! One yellow on the yak was better than 7 yellows on a 3/4 day boat for me. On the yak, it's you versus the elements. Catch your own bait, find your own fish, land (gaff) your own fish. Do that and you will feel accomplished. Or you could pay to have your fish filleted.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #19
Irishman

Data and statistics.....
$145.00 day boat, free bait, no paddling, but.....what does $145.00 buy in the tackle store?
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #20
roby
CEO of Team Roby

If you are a kayak-fisherman, than you really only have one answer.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote