Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
bolocop

New Torium 2015 In Stock!

They are in stock! They are available to ship on March 5, 2015 from Tackle Direct!

I'm not affiliated with TD nor Shimano! I like the old Torium and want the new one!
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #2
troutking

I love Shimano reels, but I think an Avet for the same price as the new Toriums is a much better value. Just my .02 tho!
troutking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:33 AM   #3
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutking View Post
I love Shimano reels, but I think an Avet for the same price as the new Toriums is a much better value. Just my .02 tho!
Funny you say that. I just sold my new, unused AVET to buy the new torium. Did some research and didn't like what I found out. To each his own.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:05 AM   #4
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
Funny you say that. I just sold my new, unused AVET to buy the new torium.

Womp womp wompppppppppppp
Old 03-05-2015, 06:06 AM   #5
Fishin' Magician

I really like Shimano products and have numerous rods and reels made by them. At the last Long Beach Rod and Gun Fishing Swap Meet, I picked up a really nice Torium 14. I already had a Torium 30, but wanted something a little smaller to use for calicos.

Shimano really stands by their products. I've posted previously about how they have taken in some of my reels for repair and when they give them back sometimes it's a brand new reel or a fully reconditioned reel. Great service department!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Reelist

Shimano and Avet are GREAT products, as I have several of each myself. But, if you haven't yet, take a look at Penn's Star Drag Fathom line, in particular, the 25N. Narrow spool holds plenty 65# braid, casts exceptionally well, and has a drag rating of 25 pounds. I purchased one up at Sports Chalet (price match) for $145.
Reelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
Chuck D

My .02, is that toriums are generally not great kayak fishing reels as they do not hold up that well to the saltwater exposure. I have replaced way too many parts including anti-reverse and ball bearing due to saltwater exposure. Love the toriums on the cattle boats though. Avets, not at the top of my list either for strength and functionality issues. I am a Daiwa guy for sure, solid, light, strong, durable, most models rock, especially for the yaks. Love me some Saltiga or Saltist or even the Pluton which is my fav. not manufactured any more though.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
My .02, is that toriums are generally not great kayak fishing reels as they do not hold up that well to the saltwater exposure. I have replaced way too many parts including anti-reverse and ball bearing due to saltwater exposure. Love the toriums on the cattle boats though. Avets, not at the top of my list either for strength and functionality issues. I am a Daiwa guy for sure, solid, light, strong, durable, most models rock, especially for the yaks. Love me some Saltiga or Saltist or even the Pluton which is my fav. not manufactured any more though.
Buddy has Daiwa and other buddies rave about Daiwa. May pick one up in the future.

Yes, the Torium anti-reverse was it's Achilles, but I think they've taken care of that in the 2015 model by sealing them somehow. Can't wait to get it and tear it down!!!