Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
bolocop

Are you being watched? Read this...

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...d-ocean-areas/
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
stevie951
Lurker

Cool This is not ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
And the comment section is even worse! People are so un uneducated as to the Global Depletion of Fish stocks, then to go and Classify every Angler into the Category of, "those who help destroy marine life for sport."

These people should go to Asia, or go start a Whale Watchers show on Discovery Channel up again, shaking my head :/ Haha
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

That's the Nanny state for you. This is the part the kills me.....

Of roughly 3,500 all citations issued annually, only a couple hundred are for violators of the protected areas. Fines for violating the rules of an MPA range from around $100 to $1,000 and can be treated like a traffic ticket or, in more serious cases, a misdemeanor charge.

Too bad they don't read the California Constitution once in a while.......

Section 25.
The people shall have the right to fish upon and from the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof, excepting upon lands set aside for fish hatcheries, and no land owned by the State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the people the absolute right to fish thereupon; and no law shall ever be passed making it a crime for the people to enter upon the public lands within this State for the purpose of fishing in any water containing fish that have been planted therein by the State; provided, that the legislature may by statute, provide for the season when and the conditions under which the different species of fish may be taken.

DFG rules are all Statutory in nature, which is how they get away with this crap.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

This is actually punishable for up to $250,000 for violation of Constitutional rights. I say if anyone gets a ticket, I'd take that shit to the house full force with a lawsuit.

Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242
Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law
This statute makes it a crime for any person acting under color of law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom to willfully deprive or cause to be deprived from any person those rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution and laws of the U.S.

This law further prohibits a person acting under color of law, statute, ordinance, regulation or custom to willfully subject or cause to be subjected any person to different punishments, pains, or penalties, than those prescribed for punishment of citizens on account of such person being an alien or by reason of his/her color or race.

If you don't know your rights, then you don't have any.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
baerclaws

If those folks have gas, time, etc. to cruise around "advising" people of the laws, I think their efforts would be better spent if they replaced those old reserve boundary markers that neither the DF&W nor the city want to be responsible for. Then we wouldn't have to tell fishermen unfamiliar with the area where they can legally fish.
baerclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #6
FARRIER

There are many out there that could care less about mpas and bunk state/federal laws that deny people access to nature.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
taggermike

So evidently we're drunken wily poachers that hate hippies. Who knew?

This citizen protrol idea came up right after the mlpa "debates" ended and the "good guys" realized there was no money for enforcement. I recall the idea didn't go over well with anglers.

Education and out reach sound ligit cause many anglers don't know laws or boundaries. But if it goes farther than that things could get ugly. These folks are not LEOs and have no authority what so ever. They may know less about the actual laws than the anglers do.

And from a kayak angler's prospective I think we're going to be forced to deal with these folks more than most other anglers. We're small and slow, will be looking up at them, we'll be close to shore, and concentrated in known areas like off LJ. We're the low hanging fruit. These folks arnt going to be running to Cat, the 43 fathom cow cod area, or off south IB when we're so much easier to find.

I dont have a GPS so what am I supposed to do if one of these "good guys" motors up n tells me I'm in a closed area? Crap I hope we don't have to deal with this harassment BS. Record all interactions for your own defence I suppose. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I took notice of that too. Anti-hunting groups do the same thing depicting hunters as Elmer Fudd-types.

As far as proof of global positioning you could use an app on a smartphone. Navionics is only $10 if I remember correctly.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #9
Batmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post

This citizen protrol idea came up right after the mlpa "debates" ended and the "good guys" realized there was no money for enforcement. I recall the idea didn't go over well with anglers.

Education and out reach sound ligit cause many anglers don't know laws or boundaries. But if it goes farther than that things could get ugly. These folks are not LEOs and have no authority what so ever. They may know less about the actual laws than the anglers do.

And from a kayak angler's prospective I think we're going to be forced to deal with these folks more than most other anglers. We're small and slow, will be looking up at them, we'll be close to shore, and concentrated in known areas like off LJ. We're the low hanging fruit. These folks arnt going to be running to Cat, the 43 fathom cow cod area, or off south IB when we're so much easier to find.

I dont have a GPS so what am I supposed to do if one of these "good guys" motors up n tells me I'm in a closed area? Crap I hope we don't have to deal with this harassment BS. Record all interactions for your own defence I suppose. Mike
http://law.onecle.com/california/fish/2009.html

Step 1 turn on go pro

Step 2 notify them that they are impeding your ability to engage in lawful fishing. If they do not leave you alone go to step 3. If they do then continue fishing.

Step 3 Call in their hull number to the CG and the San Diego Harbor police on CH 12 as it is not an emergency.

Step 4 Report violation of above code and ask for LE assistance.

They can offer free advice all day long. Buy once you tell them they are interfering with your lawful ability to fish and they don't move it becomes problem.

Let's see how many "do gooders" will loan them their boats when they are all tied up in court.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #10
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

It's California. Everybody sue everybody.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post

Too bad they don't read the California Constitution once in a while.......

Section 25.
... any water containing fish that have been planted therein by the State;
I don't think the MPAs are "planted"
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #12
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I don't think the MPAs are "planted"
Guess I should've made this part red instead:

"right to fish upon and from the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof"

You can't license a right and charge a fee for it, or make it a crime. Fishing on public lands is a right protected by the state constitution. There isn't any exceptions in there for MPA's. It only allows for the state to regulate the season and method of take via statute (which is what DFG regs are).
Old 03-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
chris138
donkey roper

Just start chucking jigs and beer bottles at them.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #14
cabojohn
PROBATION

They would be mortified if they rolled up on me fishing!
Besides a bad case Tourette Syndrome... and a rather long criminal history...I'm a disgusting smelly fat ass with a gnarly rash and I generally kayak fish naked.
I eat my bait too.
They would prolly just leave me alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swabo.jpg (4.9 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by cabojohn; 03-03-2016 at 01:03 PM. Reason: cabo pic
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #15
Dirty Curti

Note to self...DO NOT FISH WITH CABOJOHN!

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #16
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

CaBroJohn,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
They would be mortified if they rolled up on me fishing!
Besides a bad case Tourette Syndrome... and a rather long criminal history...I'm a disgusting smelly fat ass with a gnarly rash and I generally kayak fish naked.
I eat my bait too.
They would prolly just leave me alone.
You have to stop fishing with Zedlander
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #17
Zed
BANNED

I said the rash would go away.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #18
taggermike

I'm sure the "good guys" would fight it, but thanks to the wsb enhancement program so cal waters from SD to Santa Barbara have been stocked. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #19
Zed
BANNED

Well hell, stripers were stocked too.