Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

OC squid grounds

I, like many others, am thrilled from the reports of last weekend and will be heading out of Dana Saturday to get in on some of this squid & WSB action. Assuming they decided to hang around.

I just wanted to throw out what I know and see if it sounds like a game plan. Kevin pointed out squid to me when we passed over some and I sketched it out, it looked like a bait ball but was hugging the bottom. So on a finder it looks like a school but spread more horizontal right?

I've never made squid before, is there a certain depth they like to hang around? I know they move but from all I've read they stay somewhat deep. It also seems that the best time to make them is in grey light.

And finally once you've got your squirts I assume you drop them near where the squidders are and wait for those ghosts to come after them?

I know everyone is pretty tight lipped on this, and I'm super appreciative of any info. Thanks for the reports that have us all excited to get out there and get on this opportunity!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
PegLegFury

im wondering the same thing but would like some info for LJ
Old 06-01-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I thought squid was breed in captivity and sold for 80 bucks a scoop? Your plan sounds pretty solid to me. Get a squid jig they can be pretty tricky to hook on a sabiki from what I hear

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

The DP squid have been hangin around in 70 to 90 ft for the past 10 days. I went out Wed and saw quite a bit of it but they didn't seem to want my squid jig or sabiki. Went out on Thursday and I couldn't find any. They were replaced by acres of tinyl anchovies. The schools were as dense I have ever seen. From surface to bottom spread across acres. The DP bait boat came out and did a small wrap before sunrise and went back in. Birds and dolphin and 3 Minke whales were working the school over.

Good luck finding the squirts tomorrow
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

add a green glow stick to the top of the jig. they'll hit it.

also, The Domes is still producing but I'd bet my Paycheck Salt Creek is going to explode this weekend
Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

we will be there this weekend, give a shout out on the radio...see whoever there
Old 06-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
The Domes is still producing but I'd bet my Paycheck Salt Creek is going to explode this weekend
No thanks, that isn't much unless you got a promotion to O-3.
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
-scallywag-
Banned

OMG....i just read buttchasers report, watched georges video and all the reports on bloodydecks!

THIS WEEKEND IS GONNA BE AWESOME!!!

i pm'ed a few guys about "the dope" and they said the fish r still biting good as of last night but it helps to get there super early or at sundown for a chance at a white or yellow. Just buy squid from one of the lightboats and flyline a bait around all the boats, all the good fish are on the surface....i heard theres lots of boats there so it shouldnt be hard to find "the bite"

conditions look nice and the surf will be small.....see u guys there
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
mtnbykr2

see yall otw...
Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
oneyedeer

thinking about heading out there on sunday fingers crossed!
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Scallywag, you talking about San o? I'm heading out of Dana was going to head north for salt creek.

Fly line huh?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
danjor

I plan on going out. Sent you a pm.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
OMG....i just read buttchasers report, watched georges video and all the reports on bloodydecks!

i pm'ed a few guys about "the dope" and they said the fish r still biting good as of last night but it helps to get there super early or at sundown for a chance at a white or yellow. Just buy squid from one of the lightboats and flyline a bait around all the boats, all the good fish are on the surface....i heard theres lots of boats there so it shouldnt be hard to find "the bite"

lmao...
Old 06-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
dorado50

Scallywag can i go with you ...huh..huh..huh..please.. please. Are you sure we'll find the bite. Should I try for one of these or one of these? Meet you there at 0200 and we can ......... I'll bring my flashlight
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
driftwood

Quote:

Anybody in this thread intrested in buying some cheap
beach front property in AZ?
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Not sure where ya'll plan on launching from but Old Mans gates open at 6:00 and close at 10:00 pm. Doesn't give you much of a nite bite, I'm planning on spending the day there on Sunday, but my just concentrate on the flatties
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:

It's definitely a gamble...! Don't go alone either, It's a hell of a paddle!!! It took me about an 1:45 to get there and probably over 2 hours to get back and I was paddling hard!!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #18
Dan

I wanna go, I got a helmet cam
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
StinkyMatt

I heard they are biting tiny anchovies as of today. Squid is done, its all about size 18 trebles with 3 anchovies. Trust me.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #20
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildawgjj View Post
No thanks, that isn't much unless you got a promotion to O-3.
you'd get a good grand out of it.

im tellin you, its going to be salt creek. the domes have had more boats than the entire san diego bay parked out front. 2 weeks ago they were at carlsbad and really close to shore. weekend of the 22nd they'll be at the CDM kelp. just watch the pelicans. look at where they've been and where they are now. biggest flock this morning was headed straight up to dana point.