Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
GregAndrew

LJ Brutal Today

Conditions were tough today starting right at the launch. Surf was up a bit, and the swells were breaking right on top of each other. Saw some guys turn around, and others get turned around. Took a few to the chest myself on the way out, but that is what I get for not timing anything.

Early bait was the only positive on the day, but it was a mix of mostly Spanish for me. I did manage a few Greenbacks and a lively Sardine. Unfortunately, I donated the 3 Greenies, Sardine and a Spanish to 3 Soupfins, 1 7Gill and 1 other mystery shark bite.

Water was GREEN at the surface, with some kind of bloom going crazy. In some areas you could not even see a few feet below the surface. The good news is that 20' down the water was blue. Paddled up North to take a look, only to have my FF battery die 15 mins after I got there (guess I only get 12 hours out of my 5 year old Bioenno battery?). At least the bloom had not reached beyond the canyon.

Noticing the swell stay up all day, it appeared that the landing would be interesting. It did not disappoint! Solid sets of 3-4 footers right on top of each other. I made it in dry, but it could have been a bit different had I not paddled backwards through the last 2 set waves.

I was glad to see that many guys were practicing their surf landings. Most were trying a new technique, but not sure upside down is going to catch on? And please remember to leave your gear in your car before practicing in big surf.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
Saba Slayer

LOL...

"not sure upside down is going to catch on?"
That's pretty good Greg...!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
bolocop

Predicted was 3ft. Actual was 4ft @5s. Enough said.

Should have taken off with the other guys who knew better than to launch today.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:35 AM   #4
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Close interval surf sucks.
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:57 AM   #5
GregAndrew

When the sets rolled in, the waves were separated by not much more than the length of a kayak. With lots of sneakers at the end of the sets breaking further outside.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #6
ore714

launching in the dark

ya I was out there Saturday and I launched at 430AM and once I got past the 1st set of waves then came one I couldn't see and got me pretty me good. It was tough out there and the water is SOOO GREEN!
ore714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #7
Dannowar

winds been blowing hard on the outside. hence the short period waves and rolled water. checked the conditions yesterday and like you said, dirty on top, clear on the bottom. Thanks for the report
Old 05-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
Phishphood

Saturday wasn't toooo bad at 0600 but man there was some good comic relief watching all the flips and rolls around noon. Dive reports have been saying bad viz in the top 20-30' with better range below that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

Some of us fish vicariously through other's reports -- Thanks for sharing.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote