Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
jbl_91762

Bixby jet

So I got to check out that Bixby jet at the FH show and that thing is sweet. They have a small pool where you can hold on to the unit and feel the power of that little thing. I was impressed big time as I've been contemplating on rigging a small motor anyways. Its a little pricey at $1k but I already have a great fishing kayak so $1k not bad. Other option Im considering is the Hobie Outback with the new Vantage Seat. So Im going next Sat to OEX full demo and then decide, but that is $2700 vs $1k lol
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

I will be looking into carrying these, not available until May though.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

That's Bixpy jet

https://bixpy.com/
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #4
Baja_Traveler

It would be nice if they gave us a pounds thrust rating like all the trolling motors on the market are rated at. No way to compare against the competition otherwise - 100 gallons per minute tells me little.
Cool little design though...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #5
PapaDave

Okay, I would be interested...
Old 03-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
It would be nice if they gave us a pounds thrust rating like all the trolling motors on the market are rated at. No way to compare against the competition otherwise - 100 gallons per minute tells me little.
Cool little design though...
I didn't see the pounds of thrust written down, but it felt like 35-50 pounds of force when I tried to hold it against the thrust with the power set to the highest setting. I had to use both hands to keep from hitting the sidewall of that inflatable jacuzzi pool it was in.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #7
blazian

The problem with those are the battery life. For 1k you only get 1hr+ run time at full throttle. You can buy a minn kota 45lb trolling motor and mod it to fit the drive well and with a marine battery you can get 4 hrs at full throttle running almost 4.5 mph+. That setup only runs about $360 depending on where you source your stuff. I know of a couple other guys that run the same setup
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #8
TCS

Interested if anybody has updated info or OTW reports on this compared to evolve.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #9
Ddwineguy

I have one. I like it. It has a smaller footprint than the evolve and it’s not quite as loud. Battery life is good if your not running full throttle.

It installs in the mirage drive nicely. No worries about the prop being in the wrong position when you pull it out since the jet prop fits right through the opening.

The motor seems like it is built very well, quality for sure.

One thing I don’t like is that it is controlled by a Bluetooth remote. The remote itself is fine, just if the batteries die the motor won’t operate. So I now carry spares just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:27 AM   #10
TCS

Thanks
Considering getting one.

I’m thinking the rudder mount would be the way to go. Does anybody have experience peddling with this thing powered down and on the rudder? Wondering about drag and impact on steering.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #11
BigIslandFishing
Junior

Bixpy Jet

I put the rudder mounted bixpy jet on my hobie rev 11. I took a fishing class and found the distances to get far enough out where the fish are to be a little challenging at my age, especially going against the current or wind.

The rudder mount fits perfectly, basically replacing the Hobie rudder wiht a stubby rudder and quick release system for mounting/removing the bixby jet unit itself. After adjusting the tightening screw a bit on the twist and stow rudder, it retracts and deploys nicely. The newly designed outboard battery is fairly light and fits under my vantage seat with one short extension cable. The jet has 3 speeds and reverse. I have not yet taken the kayak out yet, but I also bought the swim jet battery that attaches to the same jet unit, and I took that out in the ocean snorkeling.

The swim jet configuration has 3 speeds and is powerful on high speed. You need to hold on with two hands if you run on high speed very long. I got the bigger swim jet battery. I had a problem with the swim battery itself and Bixpy was extremely prompt and replaced the swim battery immediately at no cost to me, no shipping cost either.

The price of this system is low enough compared with the Hobie system, that you can buy an extra battery for the kayak and come out about even. One thing for sure, the bixpy system is much more flexible and versatile than what Hobie offers.

Last edited by BigIslandFishing; 05-12-2018 at 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling
BigIslandFishing is offline   Reply With Quote