Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
oredith
Junior

launch points near Long Beach - characteristics?

Wife and I are ready to try to launch on our own this weekend. No fishing - yet. more paddling and getting used to the setup.

we're looking for suggestions for launch points. some of the things we're concerned about are:
  • crowd - we're trying to learn in less crowded environment
  • interior waters vs. open sea - preferably somewhere where we start in calm water and can get some sea/waves in to get both
  • parking - preferably free/cheap, but for now, kinda tertiary
  • ease of launch - this is probably going to be the biggest hurdle, aside from getting the kayak on and off the car.

thanks for the suggestions!
oredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33...!4d-118.130595
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
oredith
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
how is the parking there? I'd guess it gets pretty crowded early on weekends?
oredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Not sure what this location is (work forewall doesnt like google links) but I was thinking something along the lines of Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro, or hell even the OEX launch in Seal Beach? Neither are too far from LB and both are an easy launch point for your maiden voyage.

I suggest you avoid an actual surf break for your first few times out. Its so much better in the long run to get accustomed to your boat in a safe/sane environment. Learn your tip points and how to re-enter. Practice an upright re-entry and a turtle situation. When you know how not to fall off your boat, and how to get back in without the help of land underneath you, you will be infinitely more prepared for the surf/open seas....

Oh, one more thing....ALWAYS WEAR YOUR PFD!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Quote:
Originally Posted by oredith View Post
Wife and I are ready to try to launch on our own this weekend. No fishing - yet. more paddling and getting used to the setup.

we're looking for suggestions for launch points. some of the things we're concerned about are:
  • interior waters vs. open sea - preferably somewhere where we start in calm water and can get some sea/waves in to get both
  • ease of launch - this is probably going to be the biggest hurdle, aside from getting the kayak on and off the car.

I launch out at Sunset Aquatic Park(HH)wkends can be crowded,but if you arrive before 9am will be an easy launch.I mostly go during the week.
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
Druko

Quote:
how is the parking there? I'd guess it gets pretty crowded early on weekends?
Plenty of parking in the lot. You can also find parking on the street. There's also a wash down area which is very convenient. The oil islands can be very fishy at times
Old 08-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
jrip
Water dog

Belmont Shore on Ocean Ave.
Easy launch [no surf] wash down hose at no charge.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #8
filipino_angler

south shore boat launch in long beach $12 all day.
mothers beach in alamitos harbor, you can park on the side street for free.
cherry beach in long beach.
filipino_angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #9
Amish Ed

Keep in mind, if you launch at Cabrillo watch out for the wind. It can get pretty sporty there when it kicks up.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:19 AM   #10
fourtogo

Launch site

Quote:

Hi I fish in LBC a lot . The are a few places to go out of . Alamitos Bay leeway sailing center in the bay . It at bayshore and ocean . End of marine stadium on appeain way @ bridge . South shore launch ramp at Queen Mary its protected and close to the open harbor . Or you launch off Beach at Granada and ocean . Week ends for parking if not early are what they are . Bay is best bet at LEEWAY SAILING CENTER . Nice paddle around Naples and through the canals . You can Beach your craft at second street Bridge and bayshore and get some food . Pizza at Delminicos or Roe maybe Btix for sandwiches . There beaches through the bay . Google Alamitos Bay have fun . Back car right up like 40-50ft from water
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote