Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
papajohn
Junior

Looking for a fishing buddy

I'm pretty new to kayak fishing, only had my kayak for 2 weeks and been out on it 4 times inside newport harbor , most people say don't go out the harbor alone. so far i caught 3 legal halis and few good size spotties inside the harbor. i really want to venture out the harbor and try to catch some bigger fish. i launched at the coast guard station. I'm usually available to fish on saturdays and mondays.

-john
papajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
Mr_Fixit

John,

Looks like Saturday a few of us are going to be launching from La Jolla. We should be launching about 5:30am or so. The location is at the end of Avenida De La Playa. Dont try to drive on the beach unless you have a 4x4. There is a lot of very soft sand and its quite common to watch people get stuck.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
NICKWORN

you can do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
John,

Looks like Saturday a few of us are going to be launching from La Jolla. We should be launching about 5:30am or so. The location is at the end of Avenida De La Playa. Dont try to drive on the beach unless you have a 4x4. There is a lot of very soft sand and its quite common to watch people get stuck.
I drive my 2x tacoma every sunday and never get stuck. Just dont stop on the soft part in the beginning and your fine, plus its low tide in the morning so you will be pulling onto hard pack sand, its only leaving in the afternoon you have to worry about, with all the tourist walking in front of you as your pulling out.

NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #4
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn View Post
I'm pretty new to kayak fishing, only had my kayak for 2 weeks and been out on it 4 times inside newport harbor , most people say don't go out the harbor alone. so far i caught 3 legal halis and few good size spotties inside the harbor. i really want to venture out the harbor and try to catch some bigger fish. i launched at the coast guard station. I'm usually available to fish on saturdays and mondays.

-john
Hey John, I feel for you as I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I've only owned my yak for about a month and fished only Huntington Harbor first then Newport Harbor launching from where you did. And only went out to the very end of the jetty and though hell no, not by myself and fished the bait barge. My last trip last weekend my cousin came down and we fished Dana Point..but he came at 9:30 and I was on water at 6:00. Man I tried to man up and go outside of the channel before he came but swells were intimidating for me as I was alone, plus I got a little seasick while paddling/fishing just past the break. So I went and fished the harbor till he got there. Once he did we set off for the Headlands even though I was a little scared I knew he was an experienced yak angler so it helped a lot. We got caught in the winds heading back and for a first timer, I was concerned paddling back cause it took us over 2.5 hours fighting wind and he assured me he's been in worse so that helped. After that first open water experience I feel more confident, but am still learning trying to hook up with experienced folk but not that easy to be honest even though everyone on the water is cool. I too can fish Sat/Sun and will start to head out to open water regularly solo, so PM me if you want to hook up sometime even though Im a rookie, Its better then going out alone if your just starting. Joey
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
iethinker

Harbor

If I caught three legal Halibut in the harbor in two week then I might consider staying there. Where are the pictures?
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
papajohn
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
If I caught three legal Halibut in the harbor in two week then I might consider staying there. Where are the pictures?
Lol I still have 1 in the freezer maybe I can take photo of that
Old 07-29-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
papajohn
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
John,

Man I wish I can go to la jolla. But that's too far for me right now
Old 07-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
papajohn
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Hey John, I feel for you as I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I've only owned my yak for about a month and fished only Huntington Harbor first then Newport Harbor launching from where you did. And only went out to the very end of the jetty and though hell no, not by myself and fished the bait barge. My last trip last weekend my cousin came down and we fished Dana Point..but he came at 9:30 and I was on water at 6:00. Man I tried to man up and go outside of the channel before he came but swells were intimidating for me as I was alone, plus I got a little seasick while paddling/fishing just past the break. So I went and fished the harbor till he got there. Once he did we set off for the Headlands even though I was a little scared I knew he was an experienced yak angler so it helped a lot. We got caught in the winds heading back and for a first timer, I was concerned paddling back cause it took us over 2.5 hours fighting wind and he assured me he's been in worse so that helped. After that first open water experience I feel more confident, but am still learning trying to hook up with experienced folk but not that easy to be honest even though everyone on the water is cool. I too can fish Sat/Sun and will start to head out to open water regularly solo, so PM me if you want to hook up sometime even though Im a rookie, Its better then going out alone if your just starting. Joey
ill be at the harbor tomorrow maybe ill see u there
Old 07-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #9
YOYOYaker
Junior

Papajohn, where do you live, or what harbor are you fishing at?

YOYOYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
papajohn
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOYOYaker View Post
Papajohn, where do you live, or what harbor are you fishing at?

I'm from Cerritos Ca. I'll be at Newport harbor