Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #1
Dirty Curti

North County Thresher

Nice day on the water Sunday. Easy launch and landing, calm water and sunshine. Bait readily available just outside the wave zone full of greenbacks but a little on the small size. Loaded up and headed out to the Canyon where there was no signs of life so I headed back in towards Carlsbad State Beach.

Saw a cattle boat (Electra) working the inside kelp which was funny because I saw them heading South earlier in the morning. As I was approaching the area I spotted a rock with a lot of life below so I worked that area for about 30 minutes for no luck.

Decided to move a little and then one of my rods light up. It was the bottom feeder with a live mac and egg sinker keeping it low. As I grab the rod and get situated I hear a BIG SPLASH. I look up and see the after effect from the splash but didn't see the fish. The reel screams and it's on.

This was the image from my glasses as I looked up.

[IMG][/IMG]

I get a slay ride for the next couple of minutes and I think I'm gaining on her when she decided to show me who's boss. A quick rip of half my spool of 65 lb braid and then a snap. Broke at the swivel.

After reeling in all of the line I start to tie on a new rig. Just as I get that done and pinned on a new lively the other rod goes off. After a quick battle up comes the predator with a long tail. After deciding I was going to keep it I then fumble for the next 15 minutes on how to land this beast.

Turns out not quite the beast after all but a perfect little one to take home.

[IMG][/IMG]

That was it for the day as I had a bit of a paddle to get back to the landing zone. All in all a great day on the water.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
onetriphudson

Sounds fun, great report! What kind of glasses? I saw Elektra and other boats fishing off the tide pools Saturday.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
spicolly

Thanks for the report, Curtis and congrat's on the catch!
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
surfisher

Sick Curtis!! I caught a smaller model like yours this morning as well, same area. Threshers must have filled in.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
HobieOneCanoebe

nice one!
HobieOneCanoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Dee84cali

That's awesome! Are they any good? I caught one a little smaller than that on Thursday, a dude on a skiff helped me get my butterfly back. How do u land them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dee84cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee84cali View Post
That's awesome! Are they any good? I caught one a little smaller than that on Thursday, a dude on a skiff helped me get my butterfly back. How do u land them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooked up a couple of steaks for dinner and they were a nice, white, flakey meat, not much flavor so a good combination of spices is a must. No fishy smell or taste at all. A very good eating fish.

Landing was something I was real careful doing. It took a little time because when I gaffed it I just pissed it off and it fought harder and twice wiggled off the gaff. Eventually once I got the upper hand I was able to put the knife through the head and it was game over after that.

One thing I forgot to mention after landing at the beach some guy walked up to me as I was putting some gear in the truck and asked what kind of fish I caught. I told him a Thresher shark. He say's "Is that legal I don't believe so"? I stated it sure is and good eating too.

He says...

"I am a Coastal inspector, or something to that effect I didn't pay much attention when he said it, and I believe all sharks are illegal to keep.

Me - Uh, no they are very legal.

Him - You should double check that and I am going to report it.

Me - I think you should double check it, I've been fishing most of my life and I know they are legal to keep.

He walked over to the lifeguard tower and had them call it in to a supervisor.

I walked back to my kayak on the beach and the lifeguard came over to me to ask if I could wait around for the supervisor as this Coastal dude reported that I am keeping an illegal fish. So I said sure, happy too, how long will it be? He said should only be about 5 minutes. Okay, no problem. After about 10 minutes they never showed up and the lifeguard waved me to go ahead and leave. He just took my name and number down just in case.

Anyone ever hear of such a person? Obviously not with DFW as he was not very educated in what is legal or illegal.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
MrPukaShell

It is the same people writing the laws and closing our waters.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
iethinker

Great Adventure

That was a great report with a great catch and much adventure up through and including your encounter with Barney Fife.

iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #10
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
Cooked up a couple of steaks for dinner and they were a nice, white, flakey meat, not much flavor so a good combination of spices is a must. No fishy smell or taste at all. A very good eating fish.

Landing was something I was real careful doing. It took a little time because when I gaffed it I just pissed it off and it fought harder and twice wiggled off the gaff. Eventually once I got the upper hand I was able to put the knife through the head and it was game over after that.

One thing I forgot to mention after landing at the beach some guy walked up to me as I was putting some gear in the truck and asked what kind of fish I caught. I told him a Thresher shark. He say's "Is that legal I don't believe so"? I stated it sure is and good eating too.

He says...

"I am a Coastal inspector, or something to that effect I didn't pay much attention when he said it, and I believe all sharks are illegal to keep.

Me - Uh, no they are very legal.

Him - You should double check that and I am going to report it.

Me - I think you should double check it, I've been fishing most of my life and I know they are legal to keep.

He walked over to the lifeguard tower and had them call it in to a supervisor.

I walked back to my kayak on the beach and the lifeguard came over to me to ask if I could wait around for the supervisor as this Coastal dude reported that I am keeping an illegal fish. So I said sure, happy too, how long will it be? He said should only be about 5 minutes. Okay, no problem. After about 10 minutes they never showed up and the lifeguard waved me to go ahead and leave. He just took my name and number down just in case.

Anyone ever hear of such a person? Obviously not with DFW as he was not very educated in what is legal or illegal.
I keep the current regulations bookmarked on my phone for quick access. I like the color codes for seasons as well. https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/...g-Map/southern

That link covers my region but they have one for all...

Anyone that says, "I believe" is unsure and obviously not experienced... I hate when people try to enforce things they are unsure about.

Shouldn't have to show him nothing but probably would save time and shut him up quicker to show anyone who challenges you current regs. I have encountered the DFW a few times at the launch and they are pretty cool and have been logging data probably for the greater good. Most of them seem stoked on catches especially some of the bigger models brought in
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

The guy sounds like a cardiff kook. Enjoy the shark, and thank you for the report. Tight lines
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
GBCbad

Nice one Curtis...congrats.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #13
Zed
BANNED

Ew. Sounds a lot like a Laguna kook. EVEN THOUGH I am legally allowed to transit my catch through an MPA...
Old 08-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #14
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

*Coastal Inspector* ???

For grins, I just googled *CA Coastal Inspector* and found only links to a real estate companies that inspect homes.

Did he have a uniform or a badge on ? Did you get the impression he was an officer of the law ? Ask for a badge number and what F&G game law you have violated. That will silence them if they are a scam.

I keep a copy of the regulations with me and have used that against many idiots that I have run into. I have also been checked by F&G and taken the opportunity to have them use my copy of the regulations to clarify my questions and misconceptions. So far, its all positive and valuable.

Congrats on the Thresher!
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #15
TroutBum

Nice catch and congrats!
Attached Images

TroutBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #16
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead View Post
*Coastal Inspector* ???

For grins, I just googled *CA Coastal Inspector* and found only links to a real estate companies that inspect homes.

Did he have a uniform or a badge on ? Did you get the impression he was an officer of the law ? Ask for a badge number and what F&G game law you have violated. That will silence them if they are a scam.

I keep a copy of the regulations with me and have used that against many idiots that I have run into. I have also been checked by F&G and taken the opportunity to have them use my copy of the regulations to clarify my questions and misconceptions. So far, its all positive and valuable.

Congrats on the Thresher!

He was wearing a black T-Shirt that had a printed badge and some text on his shirt. But what was interesting is that the Lifeguard allowed him into the tower to make the call which not anyone is allowed to do. So he had some "official status" but just wasn't educated.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #17
onetriphudson

Curt that shark tried to kiss you!
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #18
Dirty Curti

Oooohh, I love that freeze frame shot. Almost got me!

Old 08-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #19
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
He was wearing a black T-Shirt that had a printed badge and some text on his shirt. But what was interesting is that the Lifeguard allowed him into the tower to make the call which not anyone is allowed to do. So he had some "official status" but just wasn't educated.
the lifeguards don't know if someone is official or not. I found out a long time ago if someone doesn't produce legal id I tell them to F off and just keep doing what I'm doing. If they get pushy I get pushy back. There are a whole lot of dicks running around that try to BS people. If I know I'm legal I won't be harassed by anyone.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #20
maquinapescado

I would have said, "Sure you report it asshole and you wait your ass here as long as I have to so we can find out you are wrong. And when they get here and you find that out, I have a kick in your nuts to deliver."

I will say you are much more patient than I. Good job, the world need more non-assholes like you. I am not willing to fill that position. I do enough nice shit in my line of work.

Good catch and enjoy.