Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
stephenG

Sabiki stick and penn squall

So I got some birthday money to spend and before I buy anything I wanted to see if anybody had ever used a sabiki stick rod and if its a good investment or just kinda junk. Also I'm looking at the penn squall for a 20-25 lb halibut drifting setup. Anybody ever used any of this gear and any good reviews? The Penn reel has great reviews on basspro website but though somebody might have something else to say?
stephenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
echo1er

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenG View Post
So I got some birthday money to spend and before I buy anything I wanted to see if anybody had ever used a sabiki stick rod and if its a good investment or just kinda junk. Also I'm looking at the penn squall for a 20-25 lb halibut drifting setup. Anybody ever used any of this gear and any good reviews? The Penn reel has great reviews on basspro website but though somebody might have something else to say?

I got my sabiki stick @ Oceanside Dive and Kayak. Its worth it to me don't have to deal with the hooks getting at me.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Hunters Pa

I have 3 of them. Different lengths for different applications (insert joke here). I use them because I always take a sabiki with me and I don't want the breeze to put one in my ear or wrap me in a yardsale. I have them because where I (very rarely) get to go there may not be a baitbarge. And live can make or break the day. Promar makes a ROCKIN sabiki stick.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
dc1983

I just dropped off a Penn Squall 15 w/ new 30 lb power pro at hogans in Dana Point for consignment. Priced for $119. Liked the reel but I had to many and had to get rid of some also dropped of 4 rods one of which is the okuma kayak rod and a sealine 20. Might want to take a look at them if your interested in the squall
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
bubblehide

The Squall is a very good reel for the application and line weight you note. If you want to step up a few notches, look at the Fathom.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
stephenG

Thanks or the input guys. Gonna go with the sabiki stick and I might swing by Hogans and check out that reel. Hopefully they gave it a deep cleaning before they put it on sale.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Raskal311

where would be a good place to pickup on one of these sticks?
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
stephenG

Most good tackle shops will have them, or you could order it off the Internet. Just google search for sabiki stick rod and you'll be able to get started figuring out what you want/need.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
taggermike

I've used sibiki sticks from skiffs and they handy and take most of the PITA out using a sibiki. I have never used one from a kayak tho. I don't want to take up a rod holder all day for a rod I may ony used briefly. It is nice to have a sibiki ready at all times just incase you run it tothe perfect greenie school. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
where would be a good place to pickup on one of these sticks?
Fred Hall this weekend, or I think OEX may have them. At FHS in the past Promar/Ahi has given you a couple sabikis if you buy the stick at the show. Don't know if they are doing it again this year, but it's enough reason to add it to your shopping list if you are going.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Fred Hall this weekend, or I think OEX may have them. At FHS in the past Promar/Ahi has given you a couple sabikis if you buy the stick at the show. Don't know if they are doing it again this year, but it's enough reason to add it to your shopping list if you are going.
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/fre...-specials.html
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote