Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2016, 09:53 PM   #61
Bigal
Junior

Love the 180, Would like the old MD

The 180 sounds awesome! If you replace your original with the 180 and want to sell your old one, I am super interested. I left my mirage drive on the beach in LJ during March and did't realize it until my next trip in April. My Revo isn't much fun with a paddle and an open slot between my legs!
Bigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:43 PM   #62
CrazzyGar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
So I was lucky enough to get my hands on a new Mirage Drive 180 recently. $$$ Not cheap, but an amazing advantage that I'm willing to bet on. My initial impression of the drive is...that it's kinda goofy looking. The fins are shaped differently and not swept back like the regular drive, the fins are perfectly straight so they can pivot forward and backward. All this leading me to think that there might be some change in the thrust or overall feel while peddling...But after having used them, they are very similar if no different than the GT drive, also smooth and slick like the GT.

The new Drive feels much heavier than the regular GT drive. So I decided to weigh them to find out how much heavier.

Mirage Drive 180

GT Drive

So the 180 is approximately 6 oz heavier than the standard GT drive...it sure feels like it's more but it's not.

The Shifting mechanism:

Now if there's one thing that feels like it could break on this new drive it's going to be the shift levers. I found that when you pedal, sometimes your foot hits it. I guess time will tell how sturdy the plastic parts are. So far they seem to work just fine...but then again I've only used them for a day.

As far as shifting from forward to reverse with the new drive, you have to give it a good solid pull in order for it to engage. It doesn't seem possible for the drive to accidentally go into reverse while your peddling. I found that switching from forward to reverse is very difficult while moving faster than 2 knots, probably because the fins have to go sideways for a second, and you have to overcome the resistance of the water against the fins.

Fishing with the new Drive.

So while looking for a halibut this weekend I snagged some rope and pulled up a still usable ambush hoop net...I got some cleaning to do... ! Oh and by the way I did catch a halibut as well if you didn't notice.

The ability to go into reverse is just awesome. You now have an incredible amount of control with the new drive. I knew from the first announcement of the new drive that it would be great for hooping lobster. So on my first lobster trip with the new drive later on that night, I decided to test out that theory...it did not disappoint! With wind and current blowing me around, it just made every operation faster and more efficient. Instead of having to grab my paddle or having to circle around to retrieve, deploy or set my gear, I could just back up quickly easily and hands free. For me, this reason alone justifies the cost of the new drive.

So not a bad maiden voyage with the new drive. Nice Halibut and a limit of lobster to go along with it...?! Did I need it to catch what I caught..? No...but it sure made it alot easier and alot more fun. So watch out for the new Mirage Drive 180! Available now at your local OEX...but only with the purchase of a new kayak. Otherwise you have to wait until next year to purchase one.

Thx Tony for letting me check out your 180's Friday night after you went hooping. I think I'll wait for awhile before I buy the 180's. The increased cadence didn't appeal to me to maintain my same speed. I'll wait for Hobie to come out with bigger fins for the 180's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrazzyGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #63
TJones

good share

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazzyGar View Post
Thx Tony for letting me check out your 180's Friday night after you went hooping. I think I'll wait for awhile before I buy the 180's. The increased cadence didn't appeal to me to maintain my same speed. I'll wait for Hobie to come out with bigger fins for the 180's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
good counter. for someone who is moving a small boat, definitely worth considering. really not sure why hobie did not try and improve the speed? that would have been a deal maker for those who are trying to get a fin bait up to 4 mph cruising speed. and yes i know that there are users here that can get the pro angler , up to 12 mph on water .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:27 AM   #64
ful-rac
Emperor

After having used the drive for a couple of weeks now...it's not just awesome to have reverse...it's really awesome to have reverse! As far as speed goes...I really don't think you get more speed, as in max speed out of this drive, but you definitely get lighter pedals out of it, which translates into being able to maintain a higher average speed. Also you are able to maintain that higher average speed for much longer periods.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:54 AM   #65
Sheephead

Mako shark fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
Why in the heck would anyone need to peddle in reverse??
Seriously?

ME thinks Hobie screwed the pooch here...

Marketing gimmick? If yes, brilliant!
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote