Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Biffasd3845
Newb

If you could.....

Hey guys,

I'm new to saltwater fishing, and to a lesser extent Kayak fighing in general. I grew up fishing the lakes and rivers of western and northern New York State. Most of my fishing has been from a boat or a canoe with some kayake fishing through in here and there but only fresh water fishing. I've been thinking about buying a kayak in january or febuary and then start fishing the ocean. However I have only the knowledge I've read so far to go off of. I'm still fuzzy as to what Iron is and the difference between surface Iron and other forms of it.....

Which sparked me to ask you all this.

If you where starting the sport of kayak fishing, and more specifically ocean kayak fishing all over but still had the knowledge you have now what would you do?

Thanks all
Biffasd3845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
DanaPT

welcome

brandon hayward "getting bit". read the book. Then use the search function on this site to get all tips, tricks, and dope.

http://www.wonews.com/BlogProfile.aspx?id=9

and buy a hobie w/ mirage drive.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
El Vato
Ron Mexico

I would have gotten a Hobie right off the bat, flat bill hat, $300 polarized sunglasses, and hired a guide, then the next time I fished on my own, I'd be an instant expert!
El Vato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

So that's where I messed up, I didn't get the Hobie with Mirage drive.. I did have the flat bill hat and 300 polarized sunglasses. Next time I start over it'll be much different!
edit: oh yea.. the guide... it's like looking to the sky for direction..
Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Drake

I would have bought a boat.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I would have become his best friend

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
yeah, i'd have gotten a skiff with an outboard. same price as the PA, more comfortable and more range. plus surf launches would be a blast!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Biffasd3845
Newb

Thanks for your input so far, does anyone have any favorite guides I should look into?

As for getting a small skiff I may look into it but will probably stick with the kayak option.
Biffasd3845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
xpresso2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffasd3845 View Post
Thanks for your input so far, does anyone have any favorite guides I should look into?

As for getting a small skiff I may look into it but will probably stick with the kayak option.
I was lucky to have Darkhorse! He will teach you well and get you on fish! I would have saved for a hobie, not bought and sold about 4 kayaks before getting a hobie, not sold my outback to get a PA, I should have kept them both
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
slobslayer

Start with a hobie instead of going through three kayaks like I did. Boats are nice but they will eventually break and cost more money in the long run. If you can hire a guide or find someone willing to teach you. Search before you ask, somebody has probably asked the same question previously. And have fun but be safe
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
MrPatrick

Iron

Surface iron is cast out and retrieved on horizontal plane at varied speeds.
A heavy iron or "yo-yo" iron, is dropped down vertically and retrieved at varied speeds as well. It can be reeled up as fast as possible or reeled and pumped up like the butterfly type of jigs. It can also be used in a dead stick fashion. It is dropped down and allowed to bob up and down as the yak rides the swells. You can spice up a dead stick with a squid or mackerel.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
Cbad Mike

Your in the right place!!!

I had some rods, and less than alittle knowledge of how to fish from a kayak. In fact I had NEVER even been on a kayak before I bought one used in March 2012. Now its hard to keep me off of it. By the way, I think that I had a pretty successful 1st year. Its a great sport that I wish I got into years ago.

There are so many different aspects of the sport that ALL make a difference tackle, fish identification, laws, safety, and knowledge to name only a few. I personally just got into maintaining my own reels for optimal
proformance. You will read on this site that kayak fishing is an addiction and I will tell you now that thats no lie.

The first thing I did was read everything and I mean EVERYTHING on this site. Second thing I did was buy my kayak after narrowing down what I wanted and most importantly what I could afford. Third thing I did was get out on the water and try it.
ITS NOT HARD.

So heres my advice:

Buy a kayak that you can afford. (research all manufactures)
Read EVERYTHING on this site
Buy some frozen squid and a sabiki
Be prepared to meet cool people and see great sea life
Put on your PFD
GO FISHING

PS. If you want to hire a guide you will know who after reading everything here.
I personally didn't hire one but have heard nothing but good things from the people that have.

Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpresso2am View Post
I was lucky to have Darkhorse! He will teach you well and get you on fish! I would have saved for a hobie, not bought and sold about 4 kayaks before getting a hobie, not sold my outback to get a PA, I should have kept them both

Guides will get you into some nice trophy style fish but there is nothing like accomplishing it yourself.

I did something like 13-15 trips to La Jolla

aprroximately 200 miles round trips

4-5 hours on the road

6-8 hours on the water

End result: 3 WSB in under 2months....still no

what I do it all over again?

of course!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote