Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
Sheephead

LJ 10/10 report and Rare sighting!

Launched at 6:00am and began peddling around for the first 40min to discover the kelp bed mysteriously disappeared? First time seeing it gone this far north in my whole life so I decided to fish around the boiling smelt. Caught one 18"-20" wsb on a 4" swimbait then fished around kelp for sheephead the rest of the day. Got a bunch of sheep and small calicos. When I was reeling in my FIRST male sheep head(finally the hunt for a male is over) about 16-17" in length a Gargantuan Calico comes up and swallows 1/2 of my sheephead!! I thought it was a Bsb until I noticed the distinctive calico pattern. Including the waters magnification it was about 3 1/4' long and as thick as two footballs set side by side. Fortunately and unfortunately I pulled my sheephead out of its mouth. Continued fishing the same spot and about 20minutes later two Homeguard were furiously playing tag inches below my yak! Definitely made me hoot and hollar as my yak was shaking side to side and I was getting soaked! I tried to dip my gopro in the water but as soon as I did it must've spooked them. Landed at 2. Fun day on the water overall thanks to those two awesome sightings!
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calico, homeguard, kelpbed, massive, sheephead