Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #21
kirkdavis

This is the best pic I have. Can take more if you want. The cable on the lower part stops it at about 45 degrees for loading. On the roof rack there pvc tubes but for hauling 2 I use j hooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #22
oredith
Junior

i think i'm going to try the design as I have it first though, since i have a lot of scrap tubing and i can cannibalize my long board to test it out first.

looking at some of the rhino t-load videos, i'm not too comfortable with the amount of swinging that happens with the stand when it goes from the ~45 back to upright.

one key concern i have with the current design is that the roller is offset from the center from the hitch, and with a lever arm of ~3'6", i don't think the angle support will be sufficient, especially when i'm trying to put the kayak on. I may look at having a telescoping pole that goes down to the ground instead.

project for next weekend.
oredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:25 AM   #23
greenscales
greenscales

I bought the TLoader for my 4Runner that has a spoiler that gets in my way - loading a PA 14 was impossible w/o it. But the TLoader is heavy and can be difficult if on a steep slope - and I need to put my ice chest up front to balance suspension for camping trips. That being said, It acts as legitimate 3rd support for the PA and has allowed me to use the 4x4 to secluded beaches in Baja.

greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:36 AM   #24
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenscales View Post
I bought the TLoader for my 4Runner that has a spoiler that gets in my way - loading a PA 14 was impossible w/o it. But the TLoader is heavy and can be difficult if on a steep slope - and I need to put my ice chest up front to balance suspension for camping trips. That being said, It acts as legitimate 3rd support for the PA and has allowed me to use the 4x4 to secluded beaches in Baja.

I built a T loader for my Ram 2500. It is almost impossible to use on a steep ramp especially if the ramp is slick. A.t Dana Harbor all the boat people stood around and watched me struggle, not one of them offered to help. I've quit loading on my roof rack, it just got to be too much of a struggle by myself. Now I either load onto the trailer or into the truck bed.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #25
oredith
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I built a T loader for my Ram 2500. It is almost impossible to use on a steep ramp especially if the ramp is slick. A.t Dana Harbor all the boat people stood around and watched me struggle, not one of them offered to help. I've quit loading on my roof rack, it just got to be too much of a struggle by myself. Now I either load onto the trailer or into the truck bed.
how about a winch assisted loading? just thinking outloud.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #26
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oredith View Post
I have been thinking about this for a while. Would love to find a 500# winch that I could make an easily removed mount to attach to the front rack, plug into the utility outlet and use a remote to power pull the kayak up on the racks.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #27
steve999

Yakima boat loader

I've got the Yakima boat loader which is just a telescoping bar inside of the rack crossbar. Works really well. Plus cheap and real simple.
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #28
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by oredith View Post
I'm thinking about a winch in the bed of my truck near the cab on a rail. That way I can slide it to either side for loading the trailer or the middle for pulling into the truck bed. I am giving up on putting it on the rack. I thought about a winch for the rack but where to mount it? On the front bumper means the cable has to go over the hood and the cab. I can see wearing grooves into the hood and not being happy.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #29
oredith
Junior

so, the J-hooks were a no-go. gave it one more try with the wife and it was a disaster. I threw something together with 2x4 blocking, some hardware i had around the house, and some schedule 40 2" pvc pipes.

it's a tight squeeze, and i'm going to be getting more schedule 40 tubing from IMS to extend the bar so that it's not so tight fitting, but it worked. it was easy to just prop the bow over my head and slot it onto the PVC carriage I made, and then just get to the stern and push the yak up. it goes on so smoothly, that I think i need to add something to stop it from going too far over the front!

the carriage then detaches from the back and I can put it on the other side and load the other yak. it's ugly, but it works!

Old 08-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #30
erickp
Junior

Nice setup man
erickp is offline   Reply With Quote