Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
Dennis

LJ 9/16 am

Launched 0445. 1-1.5ft surf. Water vis. 10 ft. Light winds from the south. Hooked up twice, landed one. 10# yt, released to fight another day.. .. Lots of eel grass and broken kelp in the water. Got back to the launch at 1030 to some 2 ft surf. Fun, fun, fun...

Brad, I saw that "thing" you were talking about... BIG :shock: bright fish or shark, that swam next to and then under me. And then a thresher lit up the water below me as I passed the bouy.

Be safe out there,
Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
cajunman

Could it be a Sea Lion?

nice report
rich
8)
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
Spinal Tap

Hey Fellas,

This isn't meant to scare you guys. Lord knows I should be the one who's shaking in my fins.

Two spearfishermen were buzzed by a 15-17' GWS yesterday. I'm sure you guys have heard about the seal with all those bite marks all over it.

I guess there's a silver lining to the shark. If a sealion is harassing you guys, then that toothy fella can't be too close. :roll:

Seeing how well Arne has been doing out at L.J I nominate him to take care of that pesky GWS.

Nate

P.S, Arne, don't forget the tape shot.
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:24 PM   #4
Arne

I'll choke him to death - from the inside. Makes me a little worried about the solo pre-dawn launches ... naaah.

Keep your feet up.
Arne
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
cajunman

no problem, he hangs around the pier in the pre dawn hours,, playing with that Hammerhead that bumped Vito last Fall
8)
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Dennis

Rich,
I don't think it was a sea lion.. I never saw it surface and blow snot.. .. That thing was BIG :shock: , though...
-Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:07 PM   #7
vellocity

ohhhh no!

surfed casa's yesterday and today... LARGE surf today.. hung out with the lifeguards at their tower and they showed me the photo they took of the harbor seal with the BITE mark..
when it was still alive, lying on the rocks and it had a HUGE half circle arc of teeth marks across it's torso with a big chuck section missing and blood still flowing out.. they said the distance of the bite mark across was probably 18" across.. the harbor seal was a full size male, not the small cute ones we always see sticking their heads up in the kelp..

last week they also had a call of a sea lion on the rocks at Horseshoes bleeding with a chunk bite and when they got there the furbag bailed into back into the water!

Nate-
you got balls of stell my friend!!!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
CSniper

GWS

Nate,
Who were the divers who saw this beast? Reason I ask is I'm looking for another speargun, I'll bet they'll be selling them cheap!
CSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:15 PM   #9
vellocity

Arne can get a BIG sabiki to catch seals..
then slow troll the flylined furbags for GWS!!
how many points for GWS??
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:42 PM   #10
Spinal Tap

Nelz,

Even though there are confirmed sightings of a GWS, I'm still more afraid of PBers and the street traffic at certain intersections.

I reasoned with another diver friend that an 18" bite radius probably belongs to a juvenile shark (~10-12') who is just starting to transition from feeding on fish to feeding on mammals. And when we're in the water our 3' long fins make most of us look 9-10' long, so a shark that size would think twice about before coming at us.

But if that shark really is 17' long, then it probably has a 10' girth. In which case, I'm staying on land until the vis. gets better. I just HATE being on the surface breathing up when the vis. is 6-8'. The Jaws theme always plays in my head and I get the visuals of a huge opened jaw with lots of teeth coming at me at death speed.

Gene,

I saw a post by Volker (guy in the club) about two guys seeing it.

Nate
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote