Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
sitinsidejim
sitinsidejim

A long hard Monday the 19th

6:00 a.m. lanch to small shore break surf. Went to the pier to make bait made a dozen green backs in a half hour. I started working again so I do not get to fish as much. Today was one of those days I fished long and hard and it paid off. Got to the kelp off the hotel and noticed some fish rolling on the surface. Threw the iron. Of course, the first cast was a bird's nest. Wound it in, threw out again and halfway to the kayak I am on. I had to horse him out of the kelp a bit. That yellow was about 12 pounds. About dang time! Then I worked my way to the NW corner and south. Nothing happening there. Talked to a few kayakers that were out today. They had nothing either. Gave up on bait and I started trolling the fast-track. Picked up a firecracker yellow about 7 lbs. which was released. Went back to bait and worked my way to the inside towards the hotel. I noticed some boils right next to the kelp. Chucked the iron and I was on again. This one took me down into the kelp and just came off. About this time I met a guy named Dan and he saw that I was hooked up and he was trolling a Yozuri plug and he was hooked up next to the kelp. He worked on that fish for probably half an hour to get it out. He did an excellent job considering he was using a wippy rod and a spinning reel. He landed one about 15 lbs. in the kayak. By then I had looked off and saw some more boils off the kelp. I hauled butt over there and chucked the iron, but it was too late. Started drifting the area and throwing the iron and got bumped twice and kept yelling, "come on man, eat it!" Finally got one on the iron. Was working it in when this one came off too........grrrrrr. When I was reeling it up I got hit again on the way up, woa! Worked him for a bit and he came off...........by now I was pretty upset, I had farmed two yellows after a long, dry spell. I kept throwing the iron and finally got hooked up again, had to pull him out of the kelp, but he stayed on. Got him in the kayak and he weighed about 15 lbs. Kept up with throwing the iron and while I was doing that, my bait rod went off. I could tell it was a bigger fish this time. Babied him and kept him away from the kelp this time. Got him up to the kayak and he weighed about 18 lbs. Worked the area for about an hour more, no other takers. With three yellows in my kayak, I decided to call it a day and get my lucky butt home. Met Brad on the beach around 4 p.m. and hopefully he will have some pictures of the fish to post. Boy, I was a lucky SOB today. Good luck out there - Jim
sitinsidejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
Dennis

Wow!!! Nice going, Jim. I was on the other end of the phone with the guy you were talking to at the launch.. He kept on saying that you had three, and that I should go out..Good job!!!
-Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
vellocity

nice job Jim! way to pick away at 'em!

tried to call you on the VHF this morning, with my binos i could totally see you talking to Kurt(bright blue yak, whom i thought was Brad).. i just got through surfing and was looking at a beautiful day to be on the water!

i bet the first YT was half way smoked laying in between your feet all day!!!

get out there Dennis! i'm sure Brad will have some good reads for us on his PM shift!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Jim, excellent report!!

There is an old saying “fishing will teach you patience”.

I think, sometimes “fishing pisses me off”!!

But, well worth the adventure!

Awesome job on the triple!

Nice to see you back into the chase.

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
lamb

Right on Jim! 8)
Old 09-20-2005, 07:41 AM   #6
madscientist

Here's the pics. Not as good as they could have been, but then I'm not the photobeeyatch that Ken is .

I also didn't take my time since the sight of those 3 nice fish had me chomping at the bit to get out. Congrats again Jim, hell of a catch.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
bdkirby

Send a message via AIM to bdkirby Send a message via Yahoo to bdkirby
Iron Help?

Congrats man, a triple slam. I tried working the iron all afternoon with no luck. Come to think of it the only thing I've ever got on iron is a hefty sand bass. Can you bestow some iron technique wisdom upon this angler apprentice? Thanks in advance
Old 09-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #8
sitinsidejim
sitinsidejim

to bdkirby

bdkirby, I am no expert at this. The irons that I been using lately are the Tady C and the Tady 45 light. around the kelp. I took the a Tady C and strip all the paint off of it I use it on overcast days and have had good success with it so maybe color does not matter that much. All I can say is look for signs of live like jumping bait fish that looks like somthing chasing them. boiling fish and rolling fish. On the boiling fish I cast it out and start reeling right away If I do not get a bite the next cast I let it sink to a count of twenty before reeling. Also being in the right place at the right time and plain stupid luck Like I had the other day. And also trust your gut feeling if you go through and area and think that you should throw the iron do it even though there are no signs of live. I can not tell how many times that has work for me or maybe its that stupid luck working again. Sometimes you just got to keep at it. The day will come and you will nail them on the iron. There is nothing like catching a yellow on the iron and with the surface iron sometimes you can see the yellow come out of nowhere and hit your iron. Good luck and keep at it. Jim.
sitinsidejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #9
bdkirby

Send a message via AIM to bdkirby Send a message via Yahoo to bdkirby
Thanks Jim

Thanks Jim, that is the best iron advice I've received. I'll keep trying the irons and see if I can't get hooked up like that. I've noticed the bait fish are getting a little more scarce this last week so the lures become the only option under such conditions.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:50 PM   #10
Razorback

Quality fish Jim. Nice TRIFECTA.

BTW - I would not expect you to remember, but earlier this year you gave me some on the water advise while I was shooting some pics of your WSB + YT catch. It was in regards to rigging for trolling live bait. Well, I recently had a memory recall and have been using this technique - which has been very productive on the YT's for me lately.

SO - here's a belated Thank YOU for the advise.

Cris
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote