Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #21
maquinapescado

All good points Chris and true. I am bringing my ice anyway and the optimism in me will rock on. I think I will bring my ice ax and put that between the eyes. Good luck finding something in the DFG book about using that.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #22
YakDout
Brandon

I think I would try to tail rope, make a cut and drag backwards for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #23
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquinapescado View Post
I think I will bring my ice ax and put that between the eyes. Good luck finding something in the DFG book about using that.
Ha. I like it. 10yd of paracord and you have a flyer. Realistically I dont think any cleat fastened on a plastic yak will withstand the force...for long.

My personal fantasy ethical size limit of an offshore fish is up to but not including my biggest thresher. That was a PITA.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #24
Dingokevin

Kage is illegal in socal?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #25
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingokevin View Post
Kage is illegal in socal?

Yes

Old 07-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #26
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
If you guys want a good solution to ice, this one works extremely well. These things stay very cold all day long, especially if they are in a cooler. I throw three in my kill bag and they do the trick.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm liking this

beats draggin a beast 5 mi back in the water

not sure my yak could handle the xtra weight though

thinking much over 75# and I might just have to release

hrmmm

P
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #27
Dingokevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Yes

Oops

Old 07-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #28
jorluivil

Quote:
Yes

that's not true

We asked the DFG about this at the FHS, half of them didn't know what a Kage was and the other half couldn't even spell it.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #29
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Question: ...Is a kage legal to use as a gaff on a kayak?

Answer: The kage would not be considered a gaff and thus not be legal to use as a gaff from a kayak. A gaff is defined as “… any hook with or without a handle used to assist in landing fish or to take fish in such a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth” (California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 28.65(d)).

A kage would be considered spearfishing gear and subject to the diving and spearfishing regulations (CCR Title 14, section 28.90). Under these regulations, you would be required to be floating or swimming in the water to use this device to take fin fish, other than those listed in this section.

It can also be considered a spear or harpoon, in which case (under CCR Title 14, section 28.95) if you were not in the water but on a kayak, boat or on the shoreline, it can only be used to take skates, rays and sharks (except white sharks). And the device can’t even be possessed on a boat when swordfish or marlin have been taken.

Carrie Wilson is a marine environmental scientist with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. While she cannot personally answer everyone’s questions, she will select a few to answer each week in this column. Please contact her at CalOutdoors@wildlife.ca.gov.
So, if I want to use a kage, I'll need to hop in the water real quick to stick the fish, then climb back aboard.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #30
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post

Question: ...Is a kage legal to use as a gaff on a kayak?

Answer: The kage would not be considered a gaff and thus not be legal to use as a gaff from a kayak. A gaff is defined as “… any hook with or without a handle used to assist in landing fish or to take fish in such a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth” (California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 28.65(d)).

A kage would be considered spearfishing gear and subject to the diving and spearfishing regulations (CCR Title 14, section 28.90). Under these regulations, you would be required to be floating or swimming in the water to use this device to take fin fish, other than those listed in this section.

It can also be considered a spear or harpoon, in which case (under CCR Title 14, section 28.95) if you were not in the water but on a kayak, boat or on the shoreline, it can only be used to take skates, rays and sharks (except white sharks). And the device can’t even be possessed on a boat when swordfish or marlin have been taken.

Carrie Wilson is a marine environmental scientist with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. While she cannot personally answer everyone’s questions, she will select a few to answer each week in this column. Please contact her at CalOutdoors@wildlife.ca.gov.

So, if I want to use a kage, I'll need to hop in the water real quick to stick the fish, then climb back aboard.

Yes, jump in the water, spike, or Kage the fish, climb back into kayak.

Pretty simple if you ask me

Old 07-26-2016, 08:13 PM   #31
Dingokevin

i have had DFW stop me on the water for a license check and gear. With my kage sticking out of my crate and they did not say anything about it.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:40 PM   #32
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppa View Post
This is pretty out there, but how about taking along something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Solstice-2935.../dp/B004PPTC9G

Stows easily, comes with a pump that will inflate it quickly, has a 500 lb carrying capacity. The biggest issue will be that it punctures easily, so you'll have to throw a puncture resistant tarp over it. Then, if you can manage to get the fish in there, throw some bags of ice on top of it and then tow it in.
This probably won't work as well as you think if you own a Hobie unless it's a PA. The reason for this is the line would get caught in the rudder if you stop for a rest and if you decide to tie up to your side handles the craft then doesn't tow in a manner where resistance is minimal. I dragged two float tubes yesterday with two 150lb guys sitting in them with little to no equipment. In 8kts of wind it took us 40min to cover 1/2 a mile even with them assisting by kicking and me pedaling at near max effort.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:44 PM   #33
east county dirtbag

Pardon me but what is a kage? I've googled it with mixed and indefinite results
east county dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #34
chris138
donkey roper

Wasn't there a guy who was selling hand made kage on here?

Watching the rob yuen videos it looks like he destroys those things and they come back all bent up on big fish. Maybe a disposable model would be ideal
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #35
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by east county dirtbag View Post
Pardon me but what is a kage? I've googled it with mixed and indefinite results
It's a spear gaff you use to try to stone the fish before you gaff it
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:38 AM   #36
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post

Sounds easy enough
Old 07-27-2016, 05:38 AM   #37
jorluivil

I would compare a Kage to a car that has dark tinted windows. When/if you're pulled over by a police officer for a moving violation chances are your attitude will determine whether or not you'll be cited for the window tint, the same goes for the Kage when the DFG pulls up and ask you for your fishing license.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #38
YakDout
Brandon

Maybe he will give you a fix it ticket...
Old 07-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #39
jorluivil

Quote:
Maybe he will give you a fix it ticket...

Fix it ticket or not, everyone knows that when you deal with law enforcement your attitude will determine whether you'll walk away with a warning or with a citation.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #40
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

not only your attitude, but the DFG attitude. The officer could just be in a pissed off mood for whatever reason

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote