Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
M4TT

Dream Trip

Hey guys,

So i'm getting married in a month and had a 2.5 week honeymoon in europe planned but after all these attacks, we're thinking about going somewhere else until things cool down..

So thats where I'm looking for your suggestions.. If you were to go fishing anywhere in October, where would you go?

I've been kind of leaning toward Costa Rica since Tarpon on the fly look like a lot of fun but she's not completely sold on going there for some reason.
M4TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
monstahfish

costa rica is an incredible country and very american friendly. They actually have a lot of retired americans down there. If you can swing the cash, there's a lodge on the west coast called lapa rios that's in a rainforest reserve that my whole family loved. You will have animals walking right through the hotel area and it's low tech and quiet. I believe they can also have a panga pick you up on the beach there and you can go fishing in a relatively remote area. There's also the volcanic hot springs which were cool. At night the volcano usually puts on it's own fireworks show. We didn't do any east coast stuff.
If you're set on tarpon and other flats fish, you may want to look into turneffe flats in belize. You'll be on a big atoll a few miles off the east coast of belize with tarpon, permit and bonefish.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

I can attest to Belize being good fishing, I stayed on Ambergris Caye and took a small boat out and we caught snapper and grouper off the reefs and tarpon, bonefish, and permit on the flats. It was so much fun and the resorts there are beautiful and relaxing!! Costa Rica and Panama are on my short list for honeymoons (that and Bora Bora!!)

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
Dannowar

She's not sold in Costa Rica because it's your honeymoon. Europe is romantic. Costa Rica is a jungle/is hot/is a poor, rundown,police corrupt country.

Just sayin. Treat it more like a honeymoon and less like a fishing trip.

But what do I know....she may be Into all that. If so. Good job for snagging her up
Old 07-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
Hunters Pa

Take her to Europe. Don't let this be something that is brought up in 2, 4, and/7 years from now as "Oh YEAHH!?!?! Well I wanted Europe for our honeymoon but YOU insisted on a stupid fishing trip"

Not saying it will happen, but I have 15 years married, and there are those on here with a lot more that I am sure will agree. She will gather enough argument ammo on her own. Don't give her any freebies, especially big ones.

Even if you postpone Europe until more stable times, DON'T make this a fishing trip unless SHE wants it to be.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Check out Cabo San Lucas. Awesome beaches, tons of americans, and safe. Oh and about the fishing, ya that is good down there too. Tuna wahoo tons of billfish dorado and big roosters. Inexpensive trip where she can be pampered and if you pick a nice enough sport boat she might enjoy a half day AM fishing trip where you have the possibility to catch all those fish within 5 miles offshore. Check out AIR BNB for condo rentals. And fly volaris with the new cross border express. cheaper tickets flying out of TJ and you dont have to drive across border.

I just had my honeymoon there in May, Have family who live there and got put up in a nice resort by my uncle who is the condo salesman. My wife and I both hooked striped marlin on a nice 35' sportboat with just 3 of us on it. Her fish was actually bigger than mine. Float the idea to your wife see what happens.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:03 AM   #7
DanaPT

Fiji!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote