Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
oredith
Junior

does anyone insure their yak/gear?

I have a friend who's an agent, so I have gotten into a habit of just insuring everything I own that's of any value, simply because the replacement policy is easy (i do that with all my camera equipment).

asked about insuring the kayak, and she originally put it in as sports equipment, and turned around an annual premium of just 28 bucks, which i obviously jumped at.

the underwriters came back today and told her that she has to change it because kayaks / canoes are considered boats. which jumped it up to $75/year, which is actually just the minimum premium, but it would be good to $6000 value, including the kayak, and any/all equipment associated, with a $100 deductible.

at 75/year, it's still pretty cheap in my opinion, but it's not 28.. >_< what are you guys' thoughts? do you guys carry insurance for the yak/equipment?
oredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
socal.beach.bum

With the cost of these Hobies, I'd definitely insure it. But probably would wait until the 2 year warranty was up first.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oredith View Post
I have a friend who's an agent, so I have gotten into a habit of just insuring everything I own that's of any value, simply because the replacement policy is easy (i do that with all my camera equipment).

asked about insuring the kayak, and she originally put it in as sports equipment, and turned around an annual premium of just 28 bucks, which i obviously jumped at.

the underwriters came back today and told her that she has to change it because kayaks / canoes are considered boats. which jumped it up to $75/year, which is actually just the minimum premium, but it would be good to $6000 value, including the kayak, and any/all equipment associated, with a $100 deductible.

at 75/year, it's still pretty cheap in my opinion, but it's not 28.. >_< what are you guys' thoughts? do you guys carry insurance for the yak/equipment?
Do it!!! With the wear and tear that we put on our equipment, its definitely worth it.

If you follow through on it, please let me know. I'm really curious on what types of situations the policy lets you claim loss on....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
oredith
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Do it!!! With the wear and tear that we put on our equipment, its definitely worth it.

If you follow through on it, please let me know. I'm really curious on what types of situations the policy lets you claim loss on....
my friend's an agent with state farm, and they have been super easy to deal with on claims in the past.

I knew that it would cover any sort of loss at sea already, but I specifically asked her "what if my tie down fails and the kayak goes flying while i'm driving?" she told me that the kayak and 100% of the items lost covered under the policy would be paid out the replacement cost.

as a point of reference, they took 2 weeks to pay out a 7k bill when my camera lens got damp and stopped functioning..

sounds like it's a good idea though. i'll tell her to hook both the kayaks up with a policy..
oredith is offline   Reply With Quote