Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
oredith
Junior

paddling out - how far, and how long?

After this weekend, and spending more time on the water, the wife is solidly on-board with spending time on the kayak and even fishing. I'm trying to figure out how much time I can realistically keep her out on the water, and how far I can get in that time in order to get in some fishing time.

we launched out of South Shore in LB simply because I didn't want to brave a surf launch yet. paddled out to queen mary, meandered a bit, and headed back in about 2 hours time.

wife wasn't to speedy even in the x-13, so i'm concerned about actually getting out far enough to do fishing with her.

so, how far out do you guys generally go when fishing (doesn't have to be LB specific), how long does it generally take for you to get out that far?
oredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
jorluivil

during most if not all of my fishing trips here's what I do within 2hrs of launching:
nothing

some days I'll go at least 2-3hrs before I can find and make bait

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
fourtogo

Time on water

Try the bay next time , lots more for her look at . More beach for her take a break at . Newport the same way beaches to pull out at , unless she fishes I am sure she's bored . I would take my wife in my bass boat , after a few hours . She's bored looking at same area . You could try a picknick paddle in bay . Down town is ok for fishing but for non fishers it would get old in a hurry .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oredith View Post
After this weekend, and spending more time on the water, the wife is solidly on-board with spending time on the kayak and even fishing. I'm trying to figure out how much time I can realistically keep her out on the water, and how far I can get in that time in order to get in some fishing time...so, how far out do you guys generally go when fishing (doesn't have to be LB specific), how long does it generally take for you to get out that far?
That's a loaded question with a lot of variables.

For me, I typically travel about 4.5 to 5 miles in my bi-weekly trip. That trip is usually somewhere between 6-7 hours with a lot of drifting and coasting throughout the session.

This past Sunday (report to come eventually) I only traveled about 4 of those same miles, and was only out about 5 hours, but I had to paddle a lot more than usual as I totally screwed up my tide timing and went against it both on the way out, and on the way back in. I was much, MUCH more tired this trip than I usually am.

Wind, tide, current, and lastly your own stamina all play a role in how far someone can paddle in a session. It's how you put those things together that decides what the max is someone can handle.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
Bruntoj

You haven't mentioned toilet facilities as a factor for her. For us guys it's easy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:09 AM   #6
oredith
Junior

good point. maybe a shewee..
oredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #7
greenscales
greenscales

agree w/starting in the bays

I agree w/fourtogo on starting w/bays. For scenery - Newport - troll crank baits above the eel grass, etc. and keep the fishing casual. Once she has the time limits down and fishing bug, try San Diego for a get away and launch Tidelands or one of the So Bay launch ramps. Drop shot along channels, check out the Navy ships and training, and the plethora of species (a Bonefish or Shortfin Corvina will get her pushing you for the next trip). Finish the day at Coronado Brewery or Pizza Port on the way home.

I took a girlfriend out of the National City launch - she never kayaked or fished before - she screamed so loud w/her first bay bass then bonefish - patrol boat came by to make certain everything was ok. She loved it so much that 2 months later she demanded to go to Puerto Santo Tomas w/me for what was supposed to be a hardcore fishing, no cell, anti-stress, and avoid business (etc.) weekend. More of a tour guiding trip and little fishing got done. So beware - if she gets too hooked, no more excuses to escape w/the "bites on", because she will want to join. Enjoy either way.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
Raskal311

When I go out with the wife my day and paddle time isn't any shorter.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Hobie up!

I bought a used Hobie Sport for my daughter ten years ago.

She was able to fish with me at La Jolla two plus miles out.
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote