Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #21
yaksailor

Nice story and pics. Yeah, it was pumping this weekend. Yard sales inevitable.
yaksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #22
Aaron&Julie

Thanks guys, for letting us know what beach it is. Got to learn new lingo, to keep up with the times.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #23
yakrider

awesome report!
glad to hear no injuries were reported...
that place can be very unforgiving...
and nFrank...way to go getting out dry!
way better fishing warm, eh?
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #24
jorluivil

Now that my body no longer hurts I can put all my stuff away.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #25
bellcon

TIME WITH MY KAYAK BUDDIES PRICELESS

looks like this buddy paid the price

was he trying to give the other buddy a push?

that place can produce the shore break from hell

great report, looks like you guys had fun despite the loses
Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #26
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
looks like this buddy paid the price

was he trying to give the other buddy a push?
@Bellcon - The buddy was me. I was obviously trying to get a good start for him, but the waves don't give a paddler to much wiggle room to gain speed.

I have launched in the surf many times in a sit-in kayak, but have never launched in a Hobie. The Hobie surprised me with how bad it can track without a rudder, and how poorly it starts up with a paddle. The waves here were the Hobie's worse nightmare. You can't really use your mirage drive because it's too shallow, and you can't use your rudder for the same reason. Any of the sleeker Ocean Kayaks or Wilderness Tarpons would not of had a problem.

I quickly learned why there aren't too many Malibu regulars that use a Hobie...
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #27
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
The Hobie surprised me with how bad it can track without a rudder, and how poorly it starts up with a paddle. The waves here were the Hobie's worse nightmare. You can't really use your mirage drive because it's too shallow, and you can't use your rudder for the same reason
X2 on what ^^^he^^^ said!!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #28
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
X2 on what ^^^he^^^ said!!
I warned you guys that it can be a tuff launch especially at low tide. Gary had the same issues with his Hobie there, that's why he got rid of it. Nice drives but not the best surf performance. Gary hacked up his Altura and has now mounted a Hobie drive in it just for fishing there.

So I can't believe that you got away with posting a BU report without repercussions. If I put one up I'd have the usual suspects crawling up my ass, and crying bloody murder LOL

Some of the locals really don't want anyone talking about the fishing up there. The old locals only mentality.

Keep at it!!! Lick your wounds and get back out there. It's going to be rough all week but the weekend should be great conditions, and there are definitely some quality fish around.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 06-01-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #29
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Hope you guys don't mind but I got some advice...

When you hit a big breaking wave like that you want to lean forward as far as you can to help the yak pierce through the wave, and at the same time turn the paddle 90 degrees parallel to the yak. I try to take the last stroke to the right then put the left hand forward against the deck holding the paddle tight to the yak with my right hand back. The idea is you want your wieght foreward, present the least profile for your body to get hit, and have the paddle pointed into the wave so it pierces it like a spear.

If your upright like that with the paddle sideways and the wave catches the paddle it will either rip the paddle from your hand or knock you right off then kayak.

Good job on getting out and catching a few fish. That area is going to be closed if the MLPA goes through in it's current form, so hit it while you can.

Jim
Old 06-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #30
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post

When you hit a big breaking wave like that you want to lean forward as far as you can to help the yak pierce through the wave, and at the same time turn the paddle 90 degrees parallel to the yak. I try to take the last stroke to the right then put the left hand forward against the deck holding the paddle tight to the yak with my right hand back. The idea is you want your wieght foreward, present the least profile for your body to get hit, and have the paddle pointed into the wave so it pierces it like a spear.

If your upright like that with the paddle sideways and the wave catches the paddle it will either rip the paddle from your hand or knock you right off then kayak.

Good job on getting out and catching a few fish. That area is going to be closed if the MLPA goes through in it's current form, so hit it while you can.

Jim
That wave was at least a 6ft wave. Roby got annihilated, by that wave.... I was there and i saw those bodies fly while the hobie flew back like a scorpion tail
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #31
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
...I have launched in the surf many times in a sit-in kayak, but have never launched in a Hobie. The Hobie surprised me with how bad it can track without a rudder, and how poorly it starts up with a paddle. The waves here were the Hobie's worse nightmare. You can't really use your mirage drive because it's too shallow, and you can't use your rudder for the same reason. Any of the sleeker Ocean Kayaks or Wilderness Tarpons would not of had a problem.

I quickly learned why there aren't too many Malibu regulars that use a Hobie...

I used to have an outback, and the above is exactly why I don't have it anymore, but now have an Altura that I'm putting a Hobie drive into, I took it out the other day and had no such problems; paddled right through the surf; it appears that the Hobie hulls are made for stability not performance.

What did help with the outback was launching and landing with the pedals locked in and in the up position, taking it to knee deep water, hoping in, paddle until I'm was in water deep enough to pedal and deploying the rudder as soon as I could (generally I'd be sideways by this time), straighten her out and keep going. But once your pedaling you could also use the paddle as a rudder.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #32
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
That wave was at least a 6ft wave. Roby got annihilated, by that wave.... I was there and i saw those bodies fly while the hobie flew back like a scorpion tail
Ouch!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #33
flydigital

Quote:
I'd call that about 4' (the one in the photo), but still big heavy shorepound. Glad everyone is ok!
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #34
StinkyMatt

Frank has SIZE issues.

Ask him about a 5 inch sardine, he'll tell you it is a 12 inch MAC!

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #35
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Lol Oh come on.! rob can't be 3 feet tall that wave Is clearly above rob head. Lol
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #36
bubblehide

Quote:
Lol Oh come on.! rob can't be 3 feet tall that wave Is clearly above rob head. Lol

Frank, waves are measured from the back side, ocean surface to the top of the wave; not the face (front). But it's a common mistake.

Despite that,

Ouch!
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #37
jorluivil

Quote:
Please, lets just let him have his moment for once. Frank, it was actually a 10' wave, I should know I took the picture

Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #38
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Frank, waves are measured from the back side, ocean surface to the top of the wave; not the face (front). But it's a common mistake.

Despite that,

Ouch!
Yeah, big ouch that is a gnar gnar wave encounter.

But when I say 4 feet I am referring to the wave face, not the back, which is more like 3ft. AFAIK they only go by wave backs in Hawaii and other south pacific surf locals.

As for the height of the unfortunate buddy, there is roughly 3 feet of him sticking out from the water. Head high would only count if he was on a surfboard actually riding the wave. Head high = 6ft waves. This is a waist to shoulder high wave (for a surfer). Still thick and heavy as **** when they pound the shore like that.

Here's what they call 6ft in Hawaii: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...L1000012/8/23/
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #39
radastaff

they arnt gettin shit for the post Jim
(far as i know)
because
they didnt post a pict of a giant wsb
and tell everybody and their grandmother
that the bite is on
and
where it is

not looking to get into a discussion about what u did or did not
nor do i care to0 much
just saying what they did not

and yes some of that area is slated for closures
but most the prime area is still gonna be open
(not including the canyon and north of course)
at least for awhile yet
according to the latest red zone map
as iam sure u are well aware of

most of the "spot" gonna still be open
from 30' on out to deeper
and will get crazy with the pbers
just like last year

nothing like a cranking anchor stuck in the kelp
when ure trying to be stealthy
for a few hours in the morning
just like last year

its not about elitism
nor about locals only
its about respecting the fish
and not harvesting a bite

+
giving us yakkers a chance
when up against those loud ass party boats

word will get out regardless
as it always does

i prefer PM's
but its taken me a few years to figure it out

just my take
and
all iam gonna say regarding this

3 or 6'
when ure sitting down
it will still own ya

P

Last edited by radastaff; 06-02-2011 at 06:57 PM.
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #40
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post

Jim

idea is
make a small profile
cut into the wave

as it is shown
ure making the biggest profile u can
to avoid getting your face wet

giving that wave a broad surface to push against

i say
get that face wet
lean into it
face first