Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Have you practiced Self rescues?
Yes 24 57.14%
No 18 42.86%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Lightbulb Self Rescues-My Journey- My Practice- the emergency?

Hello everyone,

Everyone that knows me knows that i have never practiced self rescued since i have been paddling my kayak since late 2010.

I am 6ft one 160lbs, have a 6 pack and have muscles ranging from head to toe. A magnificent human i am...

well not really... im 6ft 283lbs now(damn Carl jr Banana shakes), have a nice 1 pack, and barely have any upper body strength except for the muscles that i have gained from paddling so much.

I had a nice 8 mile paddle on Sunday, by myself, which had me thinking: what if it happens, what will i do, can i get back on....

So today was too beautiful not to go to the beach... I took my family and i brought my kayak...

Today was the day, i was going to going to FINALLY practice self rescues...

I don't own a swimming pool and nobody wants a Mexican inside their pool so the ocean it was...

I broke through the waves multiple times to practice going in and out of the surf in 1-3ft waves... all were successful... my wifes even said you looked like you knew what you were doing....

Well, i went out past the surf in about 15 ft of water.... and i rocked my x-factor back and forth so i could tip over..... didn't work...

X-factor was so stable couldn't flip her....so jumping off it was...

jumped off... my pfd was way too loose and was interfering with my visibility....

So i pulled down my pfd and pulled the straps as hard as i can and luckily it tightened.

My first mission: to get back back on my kayak without relying on my safety equipment.

Talking to myself...
Alright frank, YOU CAN DO IT... Just like in you tube.... kick as hard as you can and pull yourself on your kayak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCDyq4KWBVg

The results: Failed

.... Capsized twice

(out of breath)

Flipping the x-factor in the ocean was easy... just grabbed the opposite handle and pulled on it while pushing the handle that was close to me up.

had my kayak right side up in no time.

Ok... since i can't get on the side of my kayak... i am going to do the ladder...

Everyone knows the ladder right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCC-oX-OsWg

The results: Failed
Could not get the bow of the kayak under me stomach....

So i had no choice....

I grabbed my paddle float...
http://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports...s=paddle+float

It took me a few seconds to catch my breath...

Inflated a little bit and slid one end of my paddle and finished inflating the paddle float ....

A surfer had come down to see how i was doing.... I told I am ok... just practicing self rescues.... If i can't get back on I will swim back....

He stayed around for a few mins to make sure i was ok.... I looked at the beach and saw this Lifeguard jeep racing down the beach from 3 life guard towers down....

(i said to myself..." franky my boy, if you don't want to be humiliated i better get back on kayak)

So i put my paddle perpendicular to my kayak next to the ram ball so it would not slide and with the last remaining strength i pulled up...( my kayak is tipping, will i make it... It does not look like it) and MAKE IT!!!! the paddle flat did not let my kayak tip over....

Finally, back on my kayak.... !!!! YES... I look toward the beach.... and the lifeguard jeep is parked and looking straight at me from the beach... Give the thumbs up and they are back on their way... I sit down for awhile and catch my breath...

paddle back to the beach make a successful landing and throw myself next to my wife on the blanket.

My wife looked at me....

Frank, you had everyone nervous... nobody knew what you were doing... everyone was looking at you...

Well i said... i have to practice...

So about 30 mins later i go back out again....(this time i inflate my paddle float and wrap it around the paddle, saves time since im practicing)

Then i said to my self... I wonder if i could stand up on my x-factor...
Stand up on my kayak and fall off....

Swim back to my kayak and put the paddle next to the ram ball and back up on my kayak in one try....

Well... Several things go to my head...

(What if the paddle float rips or my paddle breaks)

So I told my wife... Without the paddle float i can not get back on my kayak.. So i will keep a second one inside my kayak just in case the first one burst...

So all in all, Now i have practiced self rescues if , i ever get tossed by a whale.... or something like that....

I have never capsize or fallen off my kayak in the middle of the ocean... except in the surf....(and i don't plan too) but if it happens I will be ready...

Here is a little video of me practicing in the surf...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDveg...ature=youtu.be

No real emergency, but i might of created one if i could not make it back on...

Hey where is Frank?

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 09-09-2012 at 07:51 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Im sure you could get back on your kayak without a paddle float. You just have to practice more. Frank you really should have had someone standing by next to you just in case. Glad you Did the drill and made it! No you cant use the pool!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
GregAndrew

Entertaining as always Frank.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Frank, after reading all that, you can use my pool anytime to pratice.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
roby
CEO of Team Roby

I want to be a Frank when I grow up....
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

Hey Frank, glad you took the time to practice.

Now imagine that you are out in:
Winter time
Waders and heavier clothing
A full bait tank
Rods and leashes all over the place.

I did this in the pool (no, you can't use it). It was very difficult to flip theyak over with the rods and tank.

I now always have a rope tied to one of the side handles. In the event you need to turn over your kayak, you just throw the rope over and pull, HUGE help.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
ericko

Bus kid didnt you read his post FRANK Is XXL he wont fit in your kiddie pool!!!!

kidding frank do you have room in your X-factor for anything else?
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post
Bus kid didnt you read his post FRANK Is XXL he wont fit in your kiddie pool!!!!

kidding frank do you have room in your X-factor for anything else?
I decided to stop bringing my easy bake oven
Now I have more room

You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
PE.rider

Frank,

Do you have a sit-in or sit-on top?

The videos you showed in your links were sit-ins, which are more challenging. I learned my technique on sit-on-tops from watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8skBpGsNNp4

I especially like the "stirrup" idea with the paddle float. Also, you may want to try in calmer waters such as a harbor or inlet area... preferably near a kiddie beach... much safer.

I've found pushing down on the kayak -sort of like the pulling-down action of a rolling metal door found in storage spaces while kicking gets you in the driver's seat faster.

Imagine the scenario where you fall out of the kayak due to a concussive blow from under the boat by say... an 18 foot Great White... You probably want the ability to get in the cockpit ASAP or within 10 seconds.

There's always yak stabilizers too! Good Job!
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
jorluivil

ayyyyyyy furansees-co

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

epic surf launch. lol. those are some big waves compared to our little la jolla shore break

was Malaga weedy? its about time to do a big game surf session up in LA area.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
OutdoorAdvntr

I think all the "NO" should get together to practice the self-rescue.. what do you say, we should get together?
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
hiramehunter

This is ENTERTAINMENT!!! Had my family rolling with the post as well as the comments!
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
taggermike

Well done working on the self rescue. The SOT remount is much easier than the SIS you had in the vidios but the SOT can still be a bit tricky. How many of our local yak fishing community have ever done this. A buddy of mine with a few years of experience flipped his yak out in the middle of SD Bay. He had never dumped befor or tried a self rescue and wasn't sure quite what to do. He handed off his gear and I talked him through it. We should all practice. Every yak is different so if you have practiced with one boat you need to do it again if you get a new kayak. I've ran kayak tours on both the east and west coasts, trained and demonstrated self rescue, and seen plenty of people flip kayaks. Practice because the best surprise is no surprise. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
YakMedic

Funny stuff as always Frank. I practice on all yaks I've ever had. What works best for me is to push myself under water completely while holding the rail. Then with a quick burst pull yourself up while kicking, you produce enough inertia to get your torso on top of the yak. From here follow Jim Sammons advise,"Belly, Butt, Feet". Once on your stomach roll onto your butt then swing your feet in.
Ive done it on many kayaks and it works for all of em.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
mtnbykr2

Good boy Frank,
thanks for sharin and keepin everyone aware of what we all need to now how to do....
Old 09-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #17
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
for future practice...

Hey Frank....clairemont community pool allows mexican swimmers but no kayaks...but at least you can practice your treading water...
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
maui jim

If you too out of shape to get back on the yak......
"A" You should not be out there....
"B" Vessel Assist...
"C" Don't be on the evening news....No one looks good wet and cold (except Jorvile's girl "Candy"....mmmmmmmmmmmm........)
Old 09-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
wiredantz

D)

practice, practice practice.

I feel pretty confident on my self rescue techniques now.

I might not have upper body strengths, but i have built these paddling muscles. I can outrun any hobie user that grabs a paddle.

Worse comes to worse. I will inflate 15 paddle floats, and swim back to shore towing my kayak... Mexican style

Last edited by wiredantz; 09-10-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
finyak

Funny but dead serious,I think it's time I do a little practice session.Thanks.
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote