Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2017, 03:34 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Mystery solved

My kayak fishing buddy Jim Kelley has been down to Bahia Asuncion for a week or so around Thanksgiving for the past couple years. Always great to have him down here but he has earned a reputation of losing stuff while down in Baja. The first year it was a crock pot off the back of his trailer and a jig stick and reel lost somewhere between San Roque and Bahia Asuncion. On another trip to Baja he lost a Kamp Rite tent cot somewhere around San Felipe. Pretty sure there is a family of 6 living in it right now. This past year he lost a shoe, presumably to one of the roving dogs in the neighborhood. He spent a good bit of time scouring the neighborhood on foot and on the quad with no success. Well yesterday afternoon, one of the wandering K9s, no doubt with a guilty conscience, dropped a shoe off on my back patio. Jim has confirmed that it is his lost shoe. One mystery solved.

IMG_20170116_173135.jpg

On the fishing front, the 2016 - 2017 high season for yellowtail and other exotics seems to have wound down here in Asuncion. I have been skunked on my last three outings. I'm going to hit it again today and I'm sure I will continue to run into the yellows as I have every month since I've been here but for the most part it is considered "off season" until late August. The months of September through December were excellent for me this year. While the cooler water this year seemed to prevent the tuna from visiting the area there was a pretty good Dorado and wahoo bite in September and October. No hookups on either for me this year but a few drive bys on the yak. Nice Jumbo yellows was the story for me this season. It was not unusual to pick up 8 to 10 of them in a 6 hour session. Still looking for the 50 pounder but the 25 to 35 pounders were plentiful. I recently bought a tin boat and that has increased my range a bit but I still find myself really enjoying to solitude and simplicity of paddling.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #2
Deamon

I thought I smuggled the shoe stealing dog across the border a couple of years ago...

Ross's Asuncion yellows always seem to be biting...big time...until about two weeks before we arrive each year...

Knowing I was going to have to go all flip flops, gave me motivation to keeping searching for that shoe, to no avail.

Losing a rod and reel always hurts...

MakoBob has never assumed full responsibility for not tying down my Kamprite...his made it down just fine...
The crockpot...a gift purchased for Ross-Man...works just fine with a dent in its side...

Everyone should make the trek down to Ross' little jewel of paradise.
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote