Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #41
goldenglory18

I'm so stoked on the new Outback but my god in heaven, I must have completely forgotten how expensive Hobies are cause the sticker shock is REAL.

Last edited by goldenglory18; 08-29-2018 at 12:58 PM.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #42
deptrai

How does the $2,799 price and 85 pound weight compare to the previous model?

Any photos of the added keel?

Dave
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #43
Iceman
Administrator

No photos but believe I saw it in the promo video. Lots of info here.

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-outback/
Old 08-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #44
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
The Outfitter has been discontinued and this is a really smart replacement!

Having had the Oasis previously.. I think this will probably kill the Oasis as well.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #45
Iceman
Administrator

Here it is, IMO this change is HUGE with the rudder tucked under. They also include this loading device to keep the hull from sliding and scratching as you load it

Old 09-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #46
absentx

Aww man this is just too much! I would say I just reached "peak" rigging awesomeness on my 2015 Outback this spring after three seasons of really working on it.

I hate to move on from it but this new one looks pretty amazing.

A few concerns though:
  • I use mine as a fishing/expedition kayak, sometimes spending two to eight days with it camping.
  • The lack of a rear storage hatch and the shrinking of the front hatch does concern me because I basically fill my hull full of camping gear and everything I need.

I am wondering if that nice round molding in the rear tray is the perfect spot to cut into and put your own eight inch round hatch in? The problem however would be if there is even ample room below it to make much sense for storage...but any little bit helps.

I also installed some rod holders and other items through the hull on the rear on my 2015 and I could access those fittings to tighten down or do maintenance on from the rear hatch...so even if storage was minimal, to be able to get an arm in there to thread on a nut etc would be nice.

The thought might be that with the rear hbars etc one might not need to add any custom holes or fittings in the rear...but cmon, customizing a kayak is like artwork, you know someone is going to do it!
absentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #47
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by absentx View Post
Aww man this is just too much! I would say I just reached "peak" rigging awesomeness on my 2015 Outback this spring after three seasons of really working on it.

I hate to move on from it but this new one looks pretty amazing.

A few concerns though:
  • I use mine as a fishing/expedition kayak, sometimes spending two to eight days with it camping.
  • The lack of a rear storage hatch and the shrinking of the front hatch does concern me because I basically fill my hull full of camping gear and everything I need.

I am wondering if that nice round molding in the rear tray is the perfect spot to cut into and put your own eight inch round hatch in? The problem however would be if there is even ample room below it to make much sense for storage...but any little bit helps.

I also installed some rod holders and other items through the hull on the rear on my 2015 and I could access those fittings to tighten down or do maintenance on from the rear hatch...so even if storage was minimal, to be able to get an arm in there to thread on a nut etc would be nice.

The thought might be that with the rear hbars etc one might not need to add any custom holes or fittings in the rear...but cmon, customizing a kayak is like artwork, you know someone is going to do it!

Keep your 2015. It will catch the same amount of fish. Kayaks are becoming like iPhones. You buy the new one and tomorrow they come out with a better one. Don’t chase it cause it’s never ending. Hold out awhile til you make an upgrade. Never know what the 2020 hobie will have....
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #48
absentx

I agree with you in some sense - but I really hope they are not becoming like iPhones.

Given that this is the Outback's first ever true redesign, I would hope this hull design would last another seven, ten, who knows years??

I mean I realize they updated it in 2015 with the new seat, but it seems to have been a pretty stable product with just minor updates from year to year.

But - I could absolutely see holding off on this new design for a model year or two while the public works out any unsuspecting quirks/problems.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #49
YakDout
Brandon

2019 Hobie release manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by absentx View Post
I agree with you in some sense - but I really hope they are not becoming like iPhones.

Given that this is the Outback's first ever true redesign, I would hope this hull design would last another seven, ten, who knows years??

I mean I realize they updated it in 2015 with the new seat, but it seems to have been a pretty stable product with just minor updates from year to year.

But - I could absolutely see holding off on this new design for a model year or two while the public works out any unsuspecting quirks/problems.

I’m not talking hull designs solely because that’s only a portion of how the kayak handles and fishes. You have to think of some of the other major upgrades that happened over the years as some were pretty major. V2 drive, GT drive, 180 drive, all in a span of a few years. New seat, now another new seat, dual steering, lowrance ready, guardian for total scan. I’m sure I’m forgetting some.

I’m not saying these aren’t solid upgrades and it’s cool they came out with them, but like iPhones, you will never have the greatest because they are already working on something better. I have a 2017 outback and see no reason to upgrade it for at least 5 years, even if they come out with some crazy new stuff.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #50
TJones

how much is it gonna break bank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
Just saw the Hobie fishing Facebook page. It says "HUGE NEWS"

So it's more than just a color change. If they redesigned the outback or pro angler hull I am good with what I have.

If they release a new model than can take a small outboard, but still have a mirage drive and accept the livewell........man it would be bad news for my wallet.
to trade up this time?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #51
GTboosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
to trade up this time?
Sometimes on the way back it takes me two hours at full pedal power. I would like to have a little 2.5hp or 5hp.

I considered the Solo skiff but it doesn't seem to be user friendly. Bait tank, seat, rigging, etc.

If Hobie releases a new model with that option I would be the first to place an order. I live in an apt so no one tell me to get a boat lol

Plus these little motors sip little gas. A 2.5hp can go all day on one gallon.

I still have my Revo 16 with island outrigger. Maybe I'll add a Honda 2.5 I have laying around.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #52
absentx

YakDout - yeah tons of good points. So do you have the 180 drive on your 2017?

We bought the 2015's because we had to have the new seats, and its been worth every penny...both my wife and I have enjoyed the new seats so much more. Really made the kayak for us.

Last year I went to an HDS 7 Carbon with total scan and right now I just hang the transducer off the side, and it works, but I would like an under boat solution. I know there are some options out there to use the current Lowrance ready solution with total scan, but my problem is that I run a lot of rivers and taking a blow to the transducer area is completely plausible, so the guardian is a feature I really want.

But yeah, when does it end...I buy this now, then over the next few years the transducers change, the Guardian is obsolete and something else comes out.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #53
Saba Slayer

New Outback

Ordered a new Outback today...
Lots of orders being put in for this new boat so as a "Team Boat" I'll probably get pushed back to November for delivery...
Thanks Hobie...looking forward to this new hull and great looking design.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #54
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

My son bought one, sweet boat.

katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #55
dpasinli

Epic reply 🤣🤣
dpasinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #56
Iceman
Administrator

Bump sales have been really good and demand is high............I have 1 ivory dune available only because a sale fell through.

Interesting fact I just discovered is the dual steering is independent (unlike the PAs) if you snap one of your steering lines the other control will still fully work.....that is a smart design.