Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
modenacart
Junior

Tandem Kayak for Hawaii

I am looking for a kayak suggestion for tandem fishing in Hawaii. The setup will be a seven year old and me and my wife and an 11 year old. We would like to be able to dual purpose too for fun and fishing. We both have done very little kayaking but thought that since we are moving to Hawaii it would be fun to learn.

I plan on buying used so what should I keep an eye out for in a used one? Are the lifetime ones just junk to be avoided?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Does this seem like a good deal?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3437133490190/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
modenacart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

$300 for that Rambler is a good buy super basic......start out slow, don't make your family members pay the ultimate price for your with your lack of experience......EDIT, MY BAD.

Last edited by Iceman; 02-16-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
modenacart
Junior

Tandem Kayak for Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
$300 for that Rambler is a good buy super basic......start out slow, don't make your family members pay the ultimate price for your with your lack of experience........and then again joining a forum and posting a link on your first post usually means you are not..........who you say you are.

Thanks for the feedback. We currently live in eastern N.C. so we will get a chance to practice in the sound.

Should I keep an eye out for something not so basic? I don’t know what features I should be concerned about. I want something stable. We take the boat off shore all the time so I am used to picking my days. I have no problem waiving off if it seems too much.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Not familiar with kayak fishing Hawaii but it seems a little hardcore for a family thing. What island? maybe somebody with real experience there can chime in.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
modenacart
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Not familiar with kayak fishing Hawaii but it seems a little hardcore for a family thing. What island? maybe somebody with real experience there can chime in.

Oahu. There are bays that are calm. Not everywhere has waves like north shore.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
aznative96
Newbie to plastic boats

FAMILY FISHING FROM KAYAK

Aloha,

My recommendation will be find as much stability as you can. The fishing here on Oahu is all "nearshore" and "offshore". The bays all get waves and swell. Easiest side of the island is south and they generally run 1-3 during wither months and get up t around 5 in the summer. Wind is another factor to deal with. There are kayak fishing groups to be found on facebook. My favorite is Hawaii Kayak Fishing. The group was originated by Big Island folks but there are plenty Oahu yakkers on it, many are military. You may want to check on two kayaks to help keep marital bliss.
Phil Bender
Ewa Beach

aznative96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
modenacart
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznative96 View Post
Aloha,

My recommendation will be find as much stability as you can. The fishing here on Oahu is all "nearshore" and "offshore". The bays all get waves and swell. Easiest side of the island is south and they generally run 1-3 during wither months and get up t around 5 in the summer. Wind is another factor to deal with. There are kayak fishing groups to be found on facebook. My favorite is Hawaii Kayak Fishing. The group was originated by Big Island folks but there are plenty Oahu yakkers on it, many are military. You may want to check on two kayaks to help keep marital bliss.
Phil Bender
Ewa Beach

Thanks. The plan was to get two. I will look into the group.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
aznative96
Newbie to plastic boats

BUY THEM THERE AND SHIP THEM IN YOUR HHG

The new kayaks here are strictly MSRP or higher and most of the used ones seem overpriced. Finding a trailer is difficult but possible. I recommend you try to get that done before you PCS and get it all shipped in your HHG. I ended up buying a trailer from West Marine and setting it up for my yak. Definitely look at peddle drives as they are better for fishing out here. You want as much stability as you can afford. Even 3 foot swells can make you feel unstable especially when you add in the wind and currents.

aznative96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:22 AM   #9
modenacart
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznative96 View Post
The new kayaks here are strictly MSRP or higher and most of the used ones seem overpriced. Finding a trailer is difficult but possible. I recommend you try to get that done before you PCS and get it all shipped in your HHG. I ended up buying a trailer from West Marine and setting it up for my yak. Definitely look at peddle drives as they are better for fishing out here. You want as much stability as you can afford. Even 3 foot swells can make you feel unstable especially when you add in the wind and currents.

We ended up getting two ocean Malibu two kayaks that were on sale. They are packing our stuff in July and they will go then.

They aren’t great for two person fishing but seem to be great family kayaks. There are four of us so it seemed to work well.