Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #21
Polychrest
Junior

Large mouth bass anglers live by this principle. My brother-in-law won't even let a hot meal get in the way.

As for me, this theory sounds nice but I have a wife that expects fish when I come home.
Polychrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #22
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polychrest View Post
Large mouth bass anglers live by this principle. My brother-in-law won't even let a hot meal get in the way.

As for me, this theory sounds nice but I have a wife that expects fish when I come home.
hahaha pressure's on then... hey you can always eat the bait

I'm in awe of people who grind for those giant largemouth. I wish I could dedicate more time to that, I'll definitely spend a few days next month throwing the Hud and the S-waver.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #23
FullFlavorPike

I'm with Chris on this one. Never say die. If you want a yellowtail in the cooler, don't start fishing for turd rollers because the bite didn't turn on by 8:30 AM. I'm also a student of the donkey roping jedi master who started this thread, so take what I say with a grain of salt

I am a big subscriber of NOT fishing where everyone else is fishing just because they're fishing there. I often go out of my way to paddle to spots I know can hold fish, and where I'll be alone, because if they do come thru, there's only one bait to bit! Sure, sometimes that cheek by jowl wad of boats and yaks knows exactly where the bite is blowing up (e.g. when word gets out of squid bedded up somewhere and the next thing you know its a cbass campground), but I think sometimes people follow each other not to be alone, sort of how it seems like the cars on the freeway wad up for no apparent reason, as if attracted to each other by kook gravity. I've gotten bites when I'm all alone fishing the "wrong" spot.

Another point I go back and forth on is being tied to tracking down activity. I'm often one for keeping my eyes glued on the sonar, but also on the activity on the surface---reading the birds and the baits and the current and the crud floating on top of the water to find where there's activity, because little life brings in big life. Then again, sometimes it seems like fat YT crash through in huge schools with nothing apparently bringing them in except whatever rhythms their fish brains follow. Explore different depth contours and look for marks--be ready when they cruise thru! In either instance, methodical technique is key. Aimless drifting is for the weak (unless you're taking naps and hanging trophy butts off the PA, but I don't think many of us are living in 3020 like that, lolz)

I also barely get to fish lately (but that doesn't mean I don't think about it)
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote