Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Huntington Harbor, 12-23-16

Landwhale and I met up at OEX to demo a couple yaks and wet a line. The city just filled in the sand on the beach and it was soft and steep. Made for an interesting launch. Special thanks to Roman for the help (nice meeting you too).

I tried the Malibu X13. Too bad the weight capacity is over-stated by at least a 100lbs. For a smaller person though I'd definitely recommend checking them out. I ended up fishing from a Jackson Kraken 13.5. Fast enough yak, but I felt really unstable and the rod holders were too far back for my liking. Plus, the seat back dug into my back, just under the shoulder blade. This is a problem area with my back, so I didn't last long. But, I could see why someone would like the yak. Especially as the butt support is great. I'll probably end up back in a Native Manta 14.

As far as the fishing went, we didn't fish for too long. We both had issues with our seats, though Steve's was just an adjustment that was fixed once we got back in. Wind was blowing strong out of the south and was pretty chilly. Lots of clouds too. Water was 58º (I think that's what Steve said), very murky and lots of trash. We did one long drift down the main channel. I fished a Coolbaits underspin w/a 5" smoke sparkle grub trailer. I got 5 or 6 bites and one small spotty off of a dock end. Steve got bit, but no takers. For a short trip it was fun. I haven't been on the water for at least a month, so just getting out there was good and hanging with Steve is always a pleasure.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Harry Hill

Good report Ed, I need to get down there to try more kayaks, I want to try the Pescador Pilot but I don't think OEX carries them, the Old Town PDL is also on my want to try list.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Don't forget the Radar from Wilderness.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #4
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Don't forget the Radar from Wilderness.
I like that radar, it is a little heavy but not as bad as some, I wish there was a dealer close by for a test drive
Old 12-24-2016, 06:23 AM   #5
landwhale

Had fun fishing with ED, tried out the new Trident 13 Great improvements the seat did come lose at the adjusting point on the back of the seat though was still comfortable. The new narrower rod pod makes for a far more comfortable foot well and has a great layout. There is a rod tip holder on the bow which I really like since I have more than one rod on deck at a time. Paddles super sweet I am really stoked with the new Trident 13 try it out.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote